Mo ning?

Every time I go into a certain 7-Eleven the guy says this. The first time I thought he was saying ‘morning’ to me in English, because I don’t look remotely Asian. Well, he doesn’t seem to speak English, he greets everyone this way, and he says it in the afternoon. So just what is he saying?

I think the second syllable is first tone. Could be second tone.

Huānyíng guānglín 歡迎光臨
Means “welcome”.

[quote=“Taffy”]Huānyíng guānglín 歡迎光臨
Means “welcome”.[/quote]

It’s probably just the first part … Huānyíng … mo ning! :smiley:

Or else it’s all slurred together, as the convenience store clerks often do when they say it.

But it means “Welcome.” And when you leave they say 謝謝光臨 (xiexie guanglin), which is the standard way of thanking you for being their customer.

[quote=“Belgian Pie”][quote=“Taffy”]Huānyíng guānglín 歡迎光臨
Means “welcome”.[/quote]

It’s probably just the first part … Huānyíng … mo ning! :smiley:[/quote]

I was there yesterday afternoon. The guy was there, but there was a girl working there. She was distinctly saying huanying guanglin, and he was saying nothing. I’m starting to think the mo ning thing is a slurred version of huanying. That would make sense, but I need to hear him say it again to be sure.

I seem to have a harder time understanding this guy than the other kids there. Right now I’m only at the level that I pick out a few words. With this one guy I can’t even manage that. They were bantering back and forth. I could pick out some of what she said, but almost none of what he said.

I’m tempted to record him for study at my leisure, but I presume that would be illegal.

I really wish they wouldn’t do that. If someone communicates to me when my back is turned, I’ll turn around to address them, but when they say that “謝謝光臨” (xie4 xie5 guang1 lin2, but more like “xieieguaing”) line, I turn back to someone who’s not really addressing me.

I say, “Thanks,” to WalMart greeters, but I’m gathering that’s not the custom at these places.

You could always just stand by the door and when they are not looking move your foot or something so the door opens. They’ll keep saying it if they are not looking at the door. Very entertaining if you’re young and drunk.

[quote=“rowland”]Every time I go into a certain 7-Eleven the guy says this. The first time I thought he was saying ‘morning’ to me in English, because I don’t look remotely Asian. Well, he doesn’t seem to speak English, he greets everyone this way, and he says it in the afternoon. So just what is he saying?

I think the second syllable is first tone. Could be second tone.[/quote]
When I first came to Taiwan, I thought the same thing: “My, they’re so nice here, even greeting me in English with ‘Morning!’”.
Then the first time I went to 7-11 in the evening, and heard this, I thought, “Oh, the poor things. They don’t realize that you don’t say “Morning!” at nighttime. Isn’t that cute?”

What took me forever to figure out was why, at the grocery store, the clerk always asked if I wanted a small bag. I thought they were asking 小袋子嗎? Xiǎo dàizi ma? Then one day the light bulb in my brain finally flickered and I realized they were asking if I needed a bag 需要袋子嗎? Xūyào dàizi ma?

I misunderstood that one for a long time too. I don’t think I ever answered with anything like “不要小的,要大的”, but I easily could have.

I just got to hear it close up. It could be a slurred ‘guānglín’.

I suppose my mental image of a Caucasian clambering over the 7-11 counter, turning his head just so to get his ear as close to the clerk as possible, isn’t quite accurate?

Went to that store again, same kid. I bought something that cost 20 yuan. He said “ah shee”. I’m thinking he just doesn’t enunciate clearly.

That is possible. Remember that working at 7 eleven is no-one’s dream job and sometimes they have to employ what they can get. I have seen many people (not only foreigners) get really annoyed when there is a break down in communication between them and the staff. Relax guys. It’s just a convenience store and other than beer they don’t sell anything of extreme value.