Mobile (cell) phone, new service now available

Trying to avoid coming back as my ‘real’ self (Loretta), but wanted to post this update for all you fine folks.

This TaiwanCell venture has been a nightmare. After testing we thought we were ready to start commercial operations back in August, and started to increase our customer base. However we encountered further technical and accounting issues, thanks to a small group of people who seemed intent on exploiting every weakness in our system they could find.

I’d just like to say thank you to those people for helping us identify all the ways in which customers could rip us off if they really put their minds to it. It’s nice to also say that they didn’t get away with it, and that one other beneficial aspect of this sorry story is our enhanced ability to enforce payment of debt. (This is a not-so subtle warning!)

We’ve made a number of technical changes in co-operation with the renamed Taiwan Mobile Co. and we’re going to give this business one last try. In a fit of enthusiasm and generosity, our rates have also been revised downwards!!

The most exensive rate is only [color=red]
NT$7/minute
[/color], but you’re expected to spend a minimum of
NT$616 monthly
. That’s equal to 88 ‘free’ minutes!!

The next cheapest rate is a tiny [color=red]
NT$5.5/minute
[/color], and the minimum send is
NT$770
(140 minutes)

If you’re making a lot of calls then 888 plan is even more attractive. Your first 150 minutes cost
NT$888
(NT$5.92/min) but any more than that cost a miniscule
[color=red]NT$4/minute!!![/color]
I doubt you’ll beat those rates anywhere.

SMSs are charged at a flat rate of NT$3 each. International calls can be made using calling cards or by dialling 006. These services are charged seperately from normal calls, and don’t count towards the monthly minimum.
[color=red]
Contracts are still open-ended,[/color] however there’s a fee of NT$500 if you cancel within the first three months.

Deposits are standardised at NT$3000, in line with other providers, and cmpletely refundable.

All the info is at TaiwanCell.net, check it out.

All the best