Mobile phones and home computers

Something that occurred to me in another thread…

Rocky Raccoon’s product does the job, so the concept is sound, but you can’t put it in your pocket and take it with you when you leave the house. You can’t really do anything with it, 'cos it’s just a modem.

But is it possible for a phone with both Wifi and 3G to function in place of your ADSL modem? If so then you could get rid of the landline altogether.

Using Wifi you still need an access point that has a line connected. But you can use a 3G phone as modem, too, that way there is no line needed and you are truly mobile.

Rascal, I don’t understand that reply. Can you say it in English?

I know that the phone can connect to the internet via 3G. I know that the phone has Wifi capability. I know that the computer has Wifi capability. I guess therefore that the phone could connect to a home wireless connection and get online without using 3G.

The question s, can the computer connect to the internet via the phone, wirelessly? Can I get rid of the ADSL and home wireless?

I had a quick look at the manual and it appears that you can do this via bluetooth if you have all the right software installed, but didn’t see anything about using the Wifi.

Also, I have no idea how fast/slow this setup would be compared to home ADSL.

Thanks

Yes, that is possible.

Yes, but you will be using 3G then, not Wifi.

BlueTooth only connects the PC to the phone, i.e. BT just replaces the serial cable that was needed before BT (and Infrared) connections became common. The actual data connection is made to the 3G network, with the phone acting as modem in this case.

I am not aware of any mobile phone that allows you to use the Wifi connection for connecting a PC/laptop. If it did you would still need your ADSL line and Wifi box though.

Slower, in particular if the 3G signal is weak or if the cell is heavily loaded (3G users share the bandwith).

Ich hoffe, dass du mich jetzt verstanden hast. Ansonsten frag’ ruhig nochmal nach. :wink:

It’s true that this product is somewhat limited, but its only major drawback is the fact that you need electricity.

But I can vouch that the connection is fast enough for regular internet surfing. Probably would still need an ADSL modem if you want to do BitTorrent, and other things. But for quick portable access that can be shared, this kind of technology is good.

When you say “you can’t put it in your pocket and take it with you when you leave the house”, that’s certainly true. If you’re looking for something that can plug right into your computer, you probably want something like this: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huawei_E220

The thing about the MobilSpot that we make is that it can share the wireless connection. During Computex we took a bus load of customers down to Kending. During the trip we plugged in someone’s 3G card into the MobilSpot and then everyone on the bus was able to connect to the internet over WiFi (802.11g). It was pretty cool driving down the road at 60 kph and being able to surf the web.

But it was having access to the bus’ 110V electrical system made this happen.

I think you could get one of those 3G USB modems when you sign up for 3G services. I’ve never used one but a coworker uses it all the time and he says it’s handy when you’re in a pinch and need to get online.

[quote=“Rascal”]I am not aware of any mobile phone that allows you to use the Wifi connection for connecting a PC/laptop. If it did you would still need your ADSL line and Wifi box though.[/quote]To expand on Rascal’s answer, I think the point is that neither your computer nor your phone have the transmitter-y type stuff to be able to connect to each other without a proper Wi-fi box (with aerials on top).

If you really wanted to use your phone directly as a modem for your desktop, I think you’d be best to buy a Bluetooth USB dongle to plug into the desktop. Still, the 3G speed might not always be very good, as Rascal said. And if you live in an area with poor 3G connectivity and the phone sometimes goes onto 2.5G instead, the speed will be really really slow. 2.5G is fine for viewing basic websites (or stripped-down versions of fancy websites) on a phone, but not for doing anything with a regular computer.

Slower, in particular if the 3G signal is weak or if the cell is heavily loaded (3G users share the bandwith).[/quote]

I quoted instead of editing - please delete this.

Cheers guys. I think that answers the question.