Mod Chips Playing Imported Games

As most gamers will know, a lot of games are not relesaed in Taiwan with English, and are heavily reigionalized. I have been buying imported games for my PC for a long time, but I am now looking to buy an XBOX 360 and possibly the original XBOX (because Microsoft said that its new baby is only backwards compatible with some games). So, I may have to think about importing a new console or modding a locally-bought console. I am however more than slightly curious about the legal position of modding consoles (that play imported, purchased English language games) in Taiwan and importing consoles (again, to play imported, purchased English language games.) Can anyone shed any light on this issue because my web research has only helped me understand the position in the US, Europe and Australia?

I probably won’t be able to answer your question directly, but I am in a similar situation as you are. About 7 or 8 months ago, I was looking around for a modded XBox and anywhere in Gunghua market I was able to purchase them or get a mod chip. At that time with summer approaching, I was not very motivated in buying a replacement for my XBox. More recently, I visited the same shops again, and all of the sudden, nobody wants to know anything about mod chips and such. I am wondering if they started enforcing some new law.

i got a chipped ps 2 recently from store near east entrance to market. don’t know about xbox.

I have just been to the 2 console stores at Guanghua but they blanked me as soon as I asked about chipping. I guess I’ll have to buy a standard box without mod. Does anyone know whether games come with English language displays? I have checked out the back of some boxes (games like Fable and Halo 2) and they seem to have English. Does anyone know anything about this?

in most countries, modding a console isnt considered illegal (to my knowledges, noone was ever charged for making, selling, buying or using a modchip).
compare modding a console to modifying a car to make it go faster or look better. it is your property, you can do whatever you want with it. you will however break the law if you use your car to drive over the allowed speed limit… playing copied games on a xbox is just that. also, in that partiular case of xbox systems, not only games but also softwares/bioses may not be modified in any way. you cant play copied game without a hacked bios (property of microsoft) but you can have a 100% legal linux bios to… well, run linux :wink: to sum up, modchips are legal. things you do with them, softwares you run with them might not…
everything concerning law and law enforcement being illogical and incoherent in taiwan, it is hard to give an answer to your question. keep in mind that if you know the “right” places, you’ll see guys modding xboxes one after another right in the middle of the computer market…

if you import a console, you will have to pay a tax (depending on the amount declared on the custom sheet). it isnt always the case actually (especially in taiwan) but if you buy it online (rather than having someone send it to you), you will most probably have to pay a tax.

[quote=“Reaperjim”]
I have just been to the 2 console stores at Guanghua but they blanked me as soon as I asked about chipping. I guess I’ll have to buy a standard box without mod. Does anyone know whether games come with English language displays? I have checked out the back of some boxes (games like Fable and Halo 2) and they seem to have English. Does anyone know anything about this?[/quote]

I just got a softmodded XBox, works like a dream. It plays all my European and US games. Check out the Buy and Sell forum, there is anotherone posted.

I could not agree any more with you. But I do think that in some countries it is illeagal to sell or manufacture those mod chips, because lawmakers cannot think of any other reason for modding a console than playing pirated games. And I am not sure how the local legal system deals with this issue. Anyway, there seems to be a lot of gray zones in Taiwan, this might be one of them.

I think the reason for some stores quitting to sell modded XBoxes might be the fact that it is much harder to mod the 1.6 version than it was with previous versions. Just wondering where those “right” places would be.

the fact is that noone was ever charged (or those who did “manufactured”/sold pirated games and were detained principally for that reason).
most (if not all) chips are flashed with a linux when you purchase them, making them an ordinary piece of hardware with legal gpl software…

still feasable and quite ok but a pain in the a** for newbies :unamused:

as they say in chinese, the answer is just under your nose.