MOD (Media On Demand)

MOD APP- FREE?
Apparently there is an APP that lets you get the program guide and I think, even watch live TV. I had to rely on machine translation for instructions.

Basically, it seems that you need to download the app. Go to the MOD settings menu and retrieve an id number. Then you can enter it into the app and use the service. I’m not sure what the cost is or if you need to use an other serivce “Hammi?”

It says that you are now limited to only two devices due to copyright concerns but those who had paired multiple devices before the rule change can continue to use their devices.

So please… any Chinese readers. Please heck out this site and app offer and translate it for the rest of us. It would be great to watch the TV in another room.
Here’s a link to the page that shows information about the apps they offer… mod.cht.com.tw/ Thank you.

Went to watch EuroSport (ch 180) this morning and instead of the program there was a cover screen asking if i wanted to subscribe to the channel – two buttons: yes, subscribe // no don’t subscribe (that’s the gist – it was wordier). This came as something of a shock and disappointment, as there were many interesting programs shown on that channel that you don’t normally get to see – bicycle racing, skiiing, curling, equestrian, Portuguese football, etc. Since (I assume) subscribing involves a fee, I declined – much as I will miss the programming, I’m not prepared to spend more than I already am on MOD.

Any problems with the second language programming on your MOD boxes switching back to Chinese? I reported the problem and now they say that they are aware of it and it is on their end and that I’m not the only one effected.

I also noticed when watching single language channels, like fox news, there is some times a momentary pause in the audio of the same type you get when switching between language tracks.

Sometimes, in my many years here, they say they know about a problem but use it as an excuse until tantrums occur, then somehow they fix the problem flawlessly. I’ve had this same problem 3 times in about 7+ years.

How long should I let them sit on their "Yeah, mack, we no we gotta problem. We’re working on it but first we gotta finish our donuts? " explanation?

I think I will give them one week. Then I will call them the next week every two days until it’s resolved. If anyone else has the problem, we should unify. I don’t know. Send a group e-mail? Flash mob a central location?

[quote=“Taiwan_Student”]Any problems with the second language programming on your MOD boxes switching back to Chinese? I reported the problem and now they say that they are aware of it and it is on their end and that I’m not the only one effected.

I also noticed when watching single language channels, like fox news, there is some times a momentary pause in the audio of the same type you get when switching between language tracks.

Sometimes, in my many years here, they say they know about a problem but use it as an excuse until tantrums occur, then somehow they fix the problem flawlessly. I’ve had this same problem 3 times in about 7+ years.

How long should I let them sit on their "Yeah, mack, we no we gotta problem. We’re working on it but first we gotta finish our donuts? " explanation? That often turns out to be the same things as the line McDonalds uses when they ask you to wait for your food. “Two minutes!”

I think I will give them one week. Then I will call them the next week every two days until it’s resolved. If anyone else has the problem, we should unify. I don’t know. Send a group e-mail? Flash mob a central location?[/quote]

[quote=“Taiwan_Student”]Any problems with the second language programming on your MOD boxes switching back to Chinese? I reported the problem and now they say that they are aware of it and it is on their end and that I’m not the only one effected.

How long should I let them sit on their "Yeah, mack, we no we gotta problem. We’re working on it but first we gotta finish our donuts? " explanation?

I think I will give them one week. Then I will call them the next week every two days until it’s resolved. If anyone else has the problem, we should unify. I don’t know. Send a group e-mail? Flash mob a central location?[/quote]
Cancel your account and change to digital cable … you’ll be much happier!

I also noticed when watching single language channels, like fox news, there is some times a momentary pause in the audio of the same type you get when switching between language tracks.[/quote]

I’m no longer in a position to look into this directly (I offered to, back when I was, and you didn’t take me up on it!), but I can find out whether it is indeed a known issue and what the status is. My guess is that the audio jumps are a pretty normal connection-related problem but that there’s also a portal bug where it reconnects to the default stream instead of the most recent.

[quote=“Brendon”][quote=“Taiwan_Student”]Any problems with the second language programming on your MOD boxes switching back to Chinese? I reported the problem and now they say that they are aware of it and it is on their end and that I’m not the only one effected.

I also noticed when watching single language channels, like fox news, there is some times a momentary pause in the audio of the same type you get when switching between language tracks.[/quote]

I’m no longer in a position to look into this directly (I offered to, back when I was, and you didn’t take me up on it!), but I can find out whether it is indeed a known issue and what the status is. My guess is that the audio jumps are a pretty normal connection-related problem but that there’s also a portal bug where it reconnects to the default stream instead of the most recent.[/quote]

Thanks Brendon! You remember the problem I had! They fixed the problem before I had the need to contact anyone. It was frustrating, took a few visits but it was fixed in about two weeks.
I did not have this problem again until they came and fixed another problem by giving me a new box. The problem was a “gateway” error. The box lost its log on information and they had to come and re-enter it. And they gave me a new box.

But then a couple days later, it lost the gateway info again so they gave me an other box and then this audio problem started. So, now, I have to nag them again. I guess. No one else has complained here so, I have evidence that the problem is most likely localized. They called my wife and said that it is a system wide problem and they are researching how to fix it. But I think that is just an excuse. It’s a little over two weeks.

It turns out there’s a pure software bug in the portal (the UI on the box) which would explain this, and there’s a fix for it in testing now. I’ll let you know when it goes live, which should be fairly soon.

Whole bunch of new channels on MOD today.

Including:

CNNI, H2, Davinci (?), LifeTime HD, Warner, Animax HD, KMTV Channel, new movie channel, Taiwanese/Chinese drama/talk shows/politics/news, Nick Jr., … quite a few new channels. Still would love to have RT back, and Australia (not that that’s likely to happen). Couple more sports channels, too, for that those like sports :roflmao:

Still quite a few more… The new channels aren’t part of packages yet… so it’s a bit itsy bitsy to order them… still trying to make sense of the new arrangements. I’m hoping that CHT will roll them into existing or new packages.

mods, dupe post, pls remove.

Are these new channels available without paying extra for them? I’m not prepared to pay any more than I already am, so unless those new channels don’t cost extra, they are worthless to me. Anybody contacted them to find out what kind of arrangements they have in mind?

Huge reshuffle of channels … again!

How to get MOD on your smartphone …
Go to the menu on your TV MOD screen, go to Hami+, then go to settings, open the top one (you only have 3 choices), then put in your password (1234 as for all devices) there will pop up a number and a QR code. Input that in the (downloaded) MOD app on your phone, go to the right lower corner (…) Then open settings on the botom, it’s the last choice, open the first top one choice, an input window and QR logo will appear, you can either QR code it or input the number from your TV manually. Done … but there are not to many channels available yet, just another IP snag.
Oh, the app has a setting that doubles as a remote for your MOD box, handy when your misplace your remote.

[quote=“Belgian Pie”]How to get MOD on your smartphone …
Go to the menu on your TV MOD screen, go to Hami+, then go to settings, open the top one (you only have 3 choices), then put in your password (1234 as for all devices) there will pop up a number and a QR code. Input that in the (downloaded) MOD app on your phone, go to the right lower corner (…) Then open settings on the botom, it’s the last choice, open the first top one choice, an input window and QR logo will appear, you can either QR code it or input the number from your TV manually. Done … but there are not to many channels available yet, just another IP snag.
Oh, the app has a setting that doubles as a remote for your MOD box, handy when your misplace your remote.[/quote]

Extra Charge? Is Fox News one of them? Wife would like to get me out of the living room :pray:

For us, we don’t have cable TV, so extra channels (free or paid) are great! There are about 16 new channels, I reckon: Fox News is already available, and has been for AGES; the new one is CNN in HD. New (I think) rugby channel, too.

The rest of my reply was eaten by the interweb. Gone. Basically, said: if you don’t have cable already, don’t bother (sucky internet, limited TV choices, poor quality transmission even on their boxes); DishHD isn’t a good alternative for satellite TV or MOD; …

MOD TV + Fiber + Internet 100M/40M + 2x Telephones + KKBOX + selected packages runs us about $1550 pm. We don’t pay cable TV fees. So it’s pretty reasonable all told.

[quote=“Taiwan_Student”][quote=“Belgian Pie”]How to get MOD on your smartphone …
Oh, the app has a setting that doubles as a remote for your MOD box, handy when your misplace your remote.[/quote]

Extra Charge? Is Fox News one of them? Wife would like to get me out of the living room :pray:[/quote]

No extra charge unless you want to watch (rent) a movie … only 14 channels or so, SYFY, Universal, and Nat Geo are … but they called me after I complained that I can not get the same channels as on my TV which I already pay for, saying that they are working on it because it’s an IP rights issue and the channel agents need to agree to show on the MOD app. Fox is not yet available. Hami has also its own TV app (free) and has more channels, and CNN, Discovery …

Question: I seem not to be able to get CNN… If I tune into channel 2 it scrolls down and you can see CNN is supposed to be on channel 150, but I get nothing. Do I have to subscribe?

Also, you mentioned you have seen a rugby channel… Which one will that be?
Thanks

Question: I seem not to be able to get CNN… If I tune into channel 2 it scrolls down and you can see CNN is supposed to be on channel 150, but I get nothing. Do I have to subscribe?

Also, you mentioned you have seen a rugby channel… Which one will that be?

Thanks[/quote]
Yes, you need to subscribe … it’s 10NT$ a month I think, the good thing you can do it all by yourself, no need to call or ask.

Just hit the purple button, then you will be able to see in a small screen on the bottom right, a preview of almost EVERY channel. If you aren’t subscribed to that particular channel, you will see a red ribbon running diagonally across one corner saying “Subscribe!” in Chinese. Just hit the ‘ok’ button and you’ll be taken to the agreement page… and I think you just need to hit ok again, and enter your password. Subscriptions are almost instant.

Thanks for the info, but I still can’t master it… I apologize if my question is rudimentary, but I can’t seem to subscribe…
I hit the purple button, it gives me the program schedule, including CNN and the rugby channel (183). However, there are no red banners for me. I click the menu button and go the subscription page. I can subscribe to single channels or bundles. These 2 channels are not listed under the single channels, and I can’t seem to find them in the bundles either (given it is hard to read Chinese for me, but I am pretty sure it’s not there) so, maybe it is not available in my area?