MOD (Media On Demand)

When you’re in the purple menu the highlighted (white) channels you can access … the gray one you have to subscribe too and can’t access yet, just go on the gray (not high lighted) and push the OK button …Then you get two choice bars at the creen bottom, a brown and a gray one, click the brown one as OK, than you get further into the menu by clicking OK each time, until you arrive on the page where they show what it cost and the bar with the channel name. When clicking the Ok button you get a confirm on the channel button (looks like a V) … clicking OK again you get the password window … type 1234 … and OK, you’ve subscribed to that channel.

If you change your mind to everything again from the now highlighted channel and unsubscribe.

If you reconsider before puting in you password just push the return button, the white one withe half circular arrow.

[quote=“Belgian Pie”]When you’re in the purple menu the highlighted (white) channels you can access … the gray one you have to subscribe too and can’t access yet, just go on the gray (not high lighted) and push the OK button …Then you get two choice bars at the creen bottom, a brown and a gray one, click the brown one as OK, than you get further into the menu by clicking OK each time, until you arrive on the page where they show what it cost and the bar with the channel name. When clicking the Ok button you get a confirm on the channel button (looks like a V) … clicking OK again you get the password window … type 1234 … and OK, you’ve subscribed to that channel.

If you change your mind to everything again from the now highlighted channel and unsubscribe.

If you reconsider before puting in you password just push the return button, the white one withe half circular arrow.[/quote]
Still no dice. If I select the greyed out channel, eg 150 for CNN, it opens a menu:

• show all day program
  • search
  • subscribe
  • share on Facebook

When I select subscribe, it takes me to the channel store and I can’t seem to find it there.

But never mind, maybe I don’t have access at this point, I’ll keep checking back
Thanks for the info

Finally, I got it. Updated the firmware and everything is now hunky dory. Thanks again

It turns out there’s a pure software bug in the portal (the UI on the box) which would explain this, and there’s a fix for it in testing now. I’ll let you know when it goes live, which should be fairly soon.[/quote]

The (attempted?) fix for this went live a couple weeks ago, apparently. Has it been any better?

I would say that when having the MOD app installed and set-up on your phone it has advantages … you don’t need to go looking for your remote … just use your phone to switch channels on your TV, and of course all (most) other functions.

It turns out there’s a pure software bug in the portal (the UI on the box) which would explain this, and there’s a fix for it in testing now. I’ll let you know when it goes live, which should be fairly soon.[/quote]

The (attempted?) fix for this went live a couple weeks ago, apparently. Has it been any better?[/quote]

They wore me down… I just keep hitting the language change button and threaten the kids with eternal bannation from the TV if I catch them watching English shows in Chinese. It’s their only exposure to English except me.

I will get my Chinese friend to write up a detailed note. I will get my daughter to describe exactly what happens in Chinese… But I will still get that “dumb stupid look” And they will have to sit there for ten minutes to three hours waiting for the trouble to happen again.

This is what I hate. They get, what has to be a common problem, and then they play dumb. :s

Historical note! I’m if you like Nickelodeon, I’m the bastard to thank. When they first came here. It was only in Chinese. I called telcom. They said that they just provide the network, not the content. I had to find the bloody distributor and in bad Chinese try to explain that I want the English.

They said that they did not pay for it so they can’t give it to us. I had to then find the person in Singapore responsible for sending the signal to the world. I asked the lady if she speaks English in Chinese and got a laugh! In perfect English she laughingly said, “Of Course, this is Singapore!” Unlike… Taiwan… the hub of Asia where the only English they can say is the slogans.

The nice lady said that what the distributor said was strange. In fact she said that English is “FREE” and its the alternate languages that come extra. After a few calls back to Singapore, I finally got my precious English.
But the sync was up to ten seconds off. So, when Sandy was talking to Spongebob, you heard SpongeBob’s voice. Totally not acceptable. But some of my Taiwanese friends said that we don’t care about voice sync. Be glad you have English. After some more calls back to Singapore and many many visits watching the tech scratch their heads, wonder why I cared that I was hearing the wrong people speaking, things were fixed. No matter how many wins… I just am getting tired. I’ll worry about it after New Year.

So … it’s still happening, right?

Sometimes I 'll note the subtitles are about 15 minutes late on BBC channels, too. No idea why. The wife’s given up on the subtitles (god, her listening is getting good!).

Kenneth

The sync on one of the English news channels was off for almost a year. It seems they fixed it.

Some new TV channels showed up this week: including RTL CBS (whatever that is), HOPE高球體育台, and a Sports channel. There are two or three more this week, not sure what they are yet.

It’s an entertainment channel, soaps, series, films, … dumbass reality shows … (like America has an Idol or something :roflmao:). The channel is a combination of RTL (Radio Television Luxembourg) and CBS. RTL is Huge and was/is owned by a Dutch TV entertainment mogul John De Mol and Bertelsman (Germany). John De Mol (or his company, ‘Endemol’) is the creator of many reality shows, copied (sold) worldwide. Now they changed ownership a few times, Talpa Media Holding is also in the mix.

But not yet any HBO channel, but they are working on it I was told. They just need to get the channel operator to agree with the price, and try to do away with the monopoly of cable companies have right now.

But RTL-CBS has ‘House of Cards’ season 2 running.
facebook.com/RTLCBSEntertainment
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTL_CBS_Entertainment

Current programs
House of Cards
Star-Crossed
America’s Got Talent
Beauty & the Beast
Celebrity Apprentice
Charmed
Elementary
Entertainment Tonight
Everybody Loves Raymond
Fear Factor
Hole in the Wall
The Insider (replacing Inside Edition)
Intelligence
Late Show with David Letterman
Red Bull
The King of Queens
The X Factor
Under the Dome
Scorpion
The X Factor UK
Frasier
The Millers
Reign
Extant

With the possible exception of House of Cards, there isn’t a show on the list that interests me.

So, you have more time to watch other channels … and anyways, lots of them are already old or canceled.
House of Cards goes into season 3 soon.

But, the content MOD offers here is better than Cable …

Yeah, I’m happy about the new content. I’d love to see the regular Disney Channel on the box though We had the premium version of Disney when it was first introduced. They were holding out on us. Some shows were way behind the regular Disney channel. I called the lady in charge of programming it and she apologetically said, they were prevented from putting on the newest and latest. She even asked me if I minded the classic “Spiderman” I didn’t but my kids wanted more phineas and ferb. We ended up cancelling it. Now, I see that we now have Disney Junior, Nick Junior and Discovery Kids. A little late… but good.

What about Hami+. Who decides what shows go on. I just got my MOD app working and love the National Geographic and Comedy Central channels. The wife and kids would be happy if Fox News goes on the App. That would get me out of the living room. Belgian Pie, you seem knowledgeable about the rights thing. Any insight to if we will get Disney or how they decide what channels go on the app?

[quote=“Taiwan_Student”]Yeah, I’m happy about the new content. I’d love to see the regular Disney Channel on the box though We had the premium version of Disney when it was first introduced. They were holding out on us. Some shows were way behind the regular Disney channel. I called the lady in charge of programming it and she apologetically said, they were prevented from putting on the newest and latest. She even asked me if I minded the classic “Spiderman” I didn’t but my kids wanted more phineas and ferb. We ended up cancelling it. Now, I see that we now have Disney Junior, Nick Junior and Discovery Kids. A little late… but good.

What about Hami+. Who decides what shows go on. I just got my MOD app working and love the National Geographic and Comedy Central channels. The wife and kids would be happy if Fox News goes on the App. That would get me out of the living room. Belgian Pie, you seem knowledgeable about the rights thing. Any insight to if we will get Disney or how they decide what channels go on the app?[/quote]

That’s completely up to negotiation between CHT and the channels/channel providers … can’t say anything more. Same happens in Europe, many channels on your TV, but not all of them on any other device, PC, tablet, phone.
Globalized world, internet … but not TV programs, they are still localized, monopolized. Look at Netflix, every country has a different content, jeez!

Who is the lady in charge of programming, and what number did you use to call her? TIA.

Who is the lady in charge of programming, and what number did you use to call her? TIA.[/quote]

Maybe, just maybe I should have a more productive outlet for my skills or time. But deny me TV. Especially TV that I paid for… I will call anyone and everyone to get what’s mine… I become the hulk. Some times over stupid things. .but what else is there to do… …

I just went to the web I looked up the Disney Channel but could not find much. So, I went for any Disney listing. After a couple calls here and there with bad Chinese and easy English, I got the Disney Channel. I then got the right department. The people in charge of MOD.
When I said programming… I did not mean… like director of programming. Meant more like the person in charge of putting the programming disk, tape or whatever into the machine and setting it to go.

I said something was not there. She said “yes, I put it in myself” and “Oh, we don’t have two copies of the show anymore. You can now use your language selector button to get the English”. I dealt with them twice. Once, to complain of lack of new shows. The second time was "what happened to the “English Shows on Demand”.
The wife finally canceled the channel because they really weren’t updating the shows at all compared to what my inlaws were getting on the regular channel. I ripped the phone number out of the notebook when we cancelled. If I have it somewhere, I’ll post it if you’d like.

When you are dealing with MOD channels you are dealing with three parties. 1. The program provider. 2. The distributor and 3. The phone company.
I had to actually lean on the distributor of Nickelodeon by calling Singapore to get them to give us the English language track. Then I had to get them to synchronize it. That was a hassle. Weeks went none and non of you lazy foreigners did anything. I had to freaking call. I guess you were doing more productive things, but Nick has some really great teaching material to use.

Lot’s of stuff they get over satellite … from other Asian countries through the Taiwan agent, channel distributor … anyways, you can see that when it rains heavily, than you get a signal cut. Taiwan has not a big enough market for foreign channels, most people here watch the ridiculous (talk) shows and and the 24h-no-news-channels all day long.