MOE Huayu Enrichment Scholarship 2011-2012

Exactly, I don’t understand people who have this complaint, seriously, if you are able to read and write well enough you can aquire vocab and grammar so much easier!

Interesting, I was somewhat the opposite and did not contact them at all before being accepted beyond confirming the receipt of my application materials (although they have been quite responsive when I needed something, especially while getting my residents visa).

I definitely agree about the essay, however, as I am a beginning Chinese student myself with prior background in another language. Another tactic that I think worked well in my essay was that I explained how I was interested in learning Chinese (and traditional characters) as a springboard to studying the Confucian classics in their original Chinese written form.

Verdigris, I’m also applying for a resident visa in the states. Have you done it yet? How long did it take them to issue it, if so?

Yes, I got mine back in the mail a few weeks ago. The process was very simple; as I recall it took no more than 7 days via mail to issue the visa, and five of those days my passport was in transit to and from Chicago. Once it actually arrived at TECO, the visa was issued in about 36 hours.

Also, in my case I was not required to send my medical forms separately for authentication, as this was done simultaneously as the visa was issued. They did not require them to be notarized despite what it says on the website, either, although it would be worth calling your local office to clarify these points with them as I suspect it may vary somewhat from place to place.

Good luck!

Hey guys!
I just wanted to know if anyone in Australia got this scholarship?

I’m just about to finish HS and I wanted to apply for the HES next year (2012 - 2013) ><
I’m getting a bit discouraged since most of you have university/college degrees ~

Thank you!!

Hey emichan,

I don’t know about Australia in particular, although I do know that my TECO awarded a couple of scholarships to high school graduates, so don’t give up hope!

[quote=“verdigris”]Hey emichan,

I don’t know about Australia in particular, although I do know that my TECO awarded a couple of scholarships to high school graduates, so don’t give up hope![/quote]

Thank you! I won’t give up :smiley:

Hello Forumosans!
This is my first post on this forum, I’ve been reading several posts for quite a while, which I have found extremely helpful on my quest for answers regarding expat issues in Taiwan.
I have been awarded a MOE Huayu Scholarship for 3 months starting September this year (at NTNU Shi-Da). I am almost ready to go but I do have a few pending questions without answers… I really hope you can help me out with them… I’d really appreciate your help!

First of all I was wondering how long will it take to get the first stipend payment, lets say if the first day of class is Sept 6th. I assume it is a month later but was wondering whether anybody had further information of experience on what are the payment due dates.

On the other hand, I am a bit worried about the tuition payment which is due during registration. I was wondering if NTNU will deduct the tuition payment from the stipend payment, maybe proportionally or sth like that.

My last question is regarding the type of course that I am allowed to enroll, since there are two types Regular (10 hour classes per week+5 hours supplementary classes) and Intensive (15 hours class) and according to the regulations for scholarship awardees, we are supposed to enroll in a 15 hour weekly course, I was wondering whether the regular class will qualify?

I will be looking forward to hearing back from you.
Thanks and have a great day!
Diana

Hey Diana,

I can tell you what I know from my own discussions thus far with NCCU which may differ from the policies set forth by NTNU (since scholarship funds are handled by the schools themselves) but on the other hand may give you an idea of what to expect.

For instance, my first stipend payment will be deposited into my account on September 20, a few weeks after classes start on September 5. NCCU does not deduct the initial tuition payment from future scholarship funds either, so they must be paid in full out of pocket at the start of the term. Of course, as I said NTNU may be quite different in their policies so it might be best to e-mail someone in their office to get a definite answer. As to which class you must register for to maintain your visa/scholarship, I’m not certain. You might be able to query your local TECO about that to see what they will accept.

Good luck with everything! How long until you leave?

Hi Arequipeña,

Good luck with your Chinese studies! I was in the same situation last year, so hopefully I can help you out. :slight_smile: You will get the first scholarship in the end of September (something like the 25th, don’t count on it being transferred too early). You need to pay the tuition, registration, insurance, student ID fee and all the other expenses out of your own money first. It is OK to enrol in a regular class – you will need to “collect” the 5 remaining hours per week by sitting in the library or attending “large language classes” (generally lectures or movies): no need to register in advance, just appear for them and stamp your “time card.” There are also “culture classes” available (paid extra) – these are generally 2 hours per week and also count towards the limit. The registration period will be during the first two weeks of classes.

Exactly, I don’t understand people who have this complaint, seriously, if you are able to read and write well enough you can aquire vocab and grammar so much easier![/quote]

For me it was the racist attitude, the messy chabuduo administrative approach, the “you do not need to learn that/why are you asking that question?/shut up and repeat and smile and wave for the cameras” drills, the fact that innovative caring teachers were the first to get the boot and the overall sense of being caught in the clogs of a machine. Being a former language teacher I found the whole “teaching” system despicable and the bubble like environment a waste of time. But that’s just me.

Hello,

I’m a recipient of the 2011 HES (6 month) from the San Francisco office in California and I’ll be attending NTNU’s MTC for 1 year. I’m leaving for Taiwan in 3 days (Aug 22) and the office has not sent me the physical certificate, therefore I won’t have it when I get there to register on Aug 25th/26th. Has anyone faced this situation before, or have any advice about what to do? I feel pretty frustrated, as the SF TECO has done a terrible job of communicating in general, like not returning my e-mails or phone calls. I’m trying to get them to scan a copy of the certificate and e-mail it to me, and although they said they would do it, they’ve continued to drag their feet on this. Additionally, the SF TECO has not posted the recipients list online, and told me that it’s a private matter so they don’t intend to post it… but this is very weird because I saw that Chicago and Australia have posted their 2011 recipients list.

So in addition to being frustrated I’m also a little bit nervous because it’s hard for me to see what I’m walking into here. It would be a financial killer for this scholarship to not work out.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Ellitron

Hi,

So, I am currently studying in the UK (will be here for one more year) but am originally from the San Francisco Bay Area (USA). Which Taiwan Office do I apply to? The one nearest my current residence or my permanent residence (btw, I am an American citizen).

Additionally, do people who do the ICLP program at NTU on a Huayu scholarship just pay for the almost 20, 000 USD or more difference out of their own pockets? Is the other language program at NTU not comparable to the ICLP?

I expect you would apply in San Francisco unless you have some sort of Permanent Residence in the UK or will be there so long that you do not have the chance to return home before leaving for Taiwan.

Also, in my personal opinion the ICLP program is not worth the staggering costs that it entails. Unless you feel like going into debt or can pay for the program out of pocket, I believe that there are other programs in Taiwan that, for the cost, are better options. That’s just me, though–you’ll get back out what you put into almost any language program.

ICLP may be better, but I’d be surprised if it’s so much better as to justify the price difference. I asked a few professors at different schools for their thoughts on where to study. All considered ICLP the best, but they all also told me that it was very expensive and that the intensive MTC program at NTNU was more affordable and very good. I imagine the CLD program at NTU is comparable to MTC, just less well-known.

n.b.: One professor told me that ICLP is better for academic types, but MTC is better for business types. So you may take that into consideration, depending on what you’re doing.

[quote=“BiReal”][quote=“poppy”]
This is the rules for 2011

a. Be of 18 years of age or older, a high school graduate or above, have an excellent academic performance in his/her most recent formal educational study experience and be of good moral character.
b. Is not an ROC (Taiwan) national.
c. Does not have the status of being an overseas compatriot student.
d. Is not currently a registered student at a Mandarin training center, nor was a degree-seeking student at any university or college in Taiwan.
e. Is not an exchange student in accordance with an agreement of cooperation between an international university/college and an educational institute in Taiwan, at the time of receiving a HES
f. Has never received an award either under this scholarship program nor the Taiwan Scholarship Program.
g. Is not a recipient of any other scholarship or subsidy offered by the Taiwan government or any other educational institutions in Taiwan.

I am myself balancing on the rules since I am not a registered student when I applied but I will be during selection , but rules are rules right :wink:[/quote][/quote]

Hi! Are these rules applicable to a foreigner married to a Taiwanese? I’m a Filipino civil engineer and just got married last month to a Taiwanese. I wanna try my luck in applying into this scholarship. I’m currently based here in Manila, Philippines. I’m just not sure if I’m still eligible with this or not anymore. If there’s someone/applicant here who has same case like mine, may I ask your expert advise. Thank you very much. :bow: :bow: :bow: