MOE/Public School application process questions

Hello, I am a Canadian certified teacher who is interested in applying to teach in a Taiwan public school for the 2019/2020 year. I have taught English in a Korean public school through the GEPIK program, before I was a licenced teacher. Since becoming a licenced teacher, I have worked pretty much full time as a substitute teacher in my local school board, but full-time jobs are hard to come by… I liked teaching abroad, and am interested in Taiwan— I would like to teach in an international school, but due to my lack of full-time experience, the MOE might be a realistic employment goal for me.

I have looked at the official website for recruiting public school teachers: http://www.fettaiwan.com/ Man, I know I’m really early! The 2019/20 application form isn’t up yet, but I’m still looking…

I’m wondering, has anybody else gone through this application process lately? I know I can contact FET directly with questions about the application, and I will, but I am interested in hearing from somebody who has been through the application process last year or the year before. My main questions are:

1. Was your doctor confused by the Health Certificate Form?
  2. Do you scan and email all the required documents? Or, do you have to send a big package in the mail? The website isn’t entirely clear.

I know I am looking into this application way too early, but I’m just curious if any recent applicants want to talk about the 2 questions above. Thanks :smiley:

Hi kaypea! I hope this isn’t too forward/not kosher, I’m new to this forum since I just moved to Taiwan a few weeks ago. I just wanted to let you know that I actually just started working for a company called Teach Taiwan that helps place English teachers in the public schools. I’m still learning about the company but from what I understand (and have experienced myself) they’re a really big help in assisting you in finding a placement, navigating through all the paperwork, and even reimbursing for air travel. There’s actually no cost to you as the teacher for these services. Again, not trying to “sell” you something you’re not interested in, but since you mentioned public schools I just thought I would see if it’s of some use to you! Their website explains their process here, or you can message me for more info!

Hi Hannah, could you give an update on using TeachTaiwan recruitment? I am about to have an interview with them and have not found any reviews on them. Have you had any problems with them? Have they been supportive? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

TeachTaiwan will take over from my current agency, although I am not staying in the program for next semester.

I think they are all pretty much the same. What are you especially worried about?

Thanks for the reply. I have just heard a lot of horror stories from using recruiters and wanted to get any background info that I could. I have been in contact with Dewey but everything I read on the forums say they are crooked, just wanted to know if TeachTaiwan is a reputable recruiter.

Recruiters number 1 aim is to fill job positions. For everyday they don’t fill a job position after the deadline, they lose money.

So that being said, they are paid once all the teaching spots are filled and then can do a half-arse job when you ask them to assist you with whatever you need assistance with.

I hope TeachTaiwan does a good job for your sake! :hugs:

Thanks for asking! I actually work directly for Teach Taiwan in an admin role, not as a teacher, so I am one of those recruiters you hear about. :wink: So take my opinion for what you will, but I find the company to be honest and helpful. Basically the way it works is certain city governments in Taiwan ask us to find help them fill their staffing needs, and we do everything we can to bring them screened, qualified candidates like yourself. Since we have a contract with the city it doesn’t cost you anything, it just benefits you, since we’re able to provide free services like airport pickup, apartment hunting help, and ongoing support throughout the year. Our Facebook page has some reviews from teachers who have gotten a job through us and also lists our current openings with salary and location info: https://m.facebook.com/teachtaiwan

Hope that helps! Please feel free to private message me if you have more specific questions. Good luck with your interview!

Thanks so much I appreciate it.

I found my current public junior high school position though TeachTaiwan in New Taipei City. Been here for a year, and I signed on for next year, (same school) so obviously I am happy. I think it varies city to city, but my contact at TeachTaiwan has been suuuuuuper helpful, from advising us on what documents to bring, to actually TAKING us to immigration and the tax office, airport pickup, and they even took me to the hospital and stayed during the long wait at the hospital back in December. In short, my experience has been nothing but positive, so I say go for it!

1 Like

Hi kaypea,

Where you able to find information about the FET/MOE program in Taiwan. I am a certified teacher from the US and there seems to be so little information about the FET program, I am wondering if you got in. Or what was your experience.