MOE scholarship

I am currently applying for Taiwan MOE scholarship for my undergraduate studies (English-taught), is there anybody here who has gotten this scholarship? I would appreciate if u could share some tips or experiences. How competitive is it? I have a GPA of 3.1/4.0 IELTS 7.5 and TOCFL 2 , can I even dare to hope to get this scholarship?

1 Like

The only thing for certain is that if you don’t apply for it you won’t get it. :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

2 Likes

Hi! I got that scholarship during my Master’s and I would say that the competitiveness depends mostly on which country you come from. Some countries have lots of students applying, so that makes getting it tougher. If your program is entirely in English, then your TOCFL probably doesn’t make much of a difference other than saying “this student is interested in learning Chinese and maybe learn more about the culture”, but I would encourage learning as much Chinese as possible. First, because it will make your life easier in every sense. Second, because some of your classes might be advertised as “English courses” but the Professor speaks Chinese in class and only the PPTs and textbook are in English.
I don’t know if this is a MOE policy, but my home country’s TECO also told me they prioritize students that haven’t visited Taiwan before, because they think of the scholarship recipients as “people who will spread the good word about Taiwan in the future”.
As @afterspivak said, I would encourage you to apply! Maybe if you are not confident on your chances, you could also check out schools that have their own scholarships.

thats why I am applying for it

Thank you for Your advices that really helps a lot! I was suspecting this (english-taught courses) might be the case in Taiwan just like it is in mainland. But I think it worth a shot anyway. Can I ask how You applied for it? what was Your GPA or Chinese level at a time and do u think it was tough for you to get it?

1 Like

Depending on your level and the teacher’s skill, a Chinese taught Chinese course can be very useful. If you prefer an English taught Chinese course, I know two universities that do this in Kaohsiung and there are probably more just in this city

I applied for the scholarship by asking my local TECO, they gave me a list of required documents and programs available. They also called me for an interview. At least my TECO evaluates, decides if you are qualified, and then they send all the documents to MOE and work on your visa process.
I had a 4.0 (also some publications), but I am not that interested in Chinese, so I had only passed the HSK 2 back then. I don’t think your Chinese level matters if you are not picking a Chinese-taught program.