MOE's Online Dictionary Rids Itself of Tongyong

I frequent MOE’s online dictionary more than once in a while and I just noticed that all Tongyong Pinyin has been replaced by Hanyu Pinyin. :bravo:

Does anyone know when that change occurred?

I don’t know when it happened, but I am happy as a clam to hear this!

:discodance:

I’ll be happy when (or rather, IF) the memo ever gets here…

So has there been an official Executive Yuan directive to switch to Hanyu Pinyin? For example, is Taipei County still using Tongyong?

:roflmao: :cry: :fume: :frowning: :ohreally: :cry:

:roflmao: :cry: :fume: :frowning: :ohreally: :cry:[/quote]
What’s so funny about that? You don’t think it’s gonna happen? If the CSB administration could impose Tongyong on the entire nation (save Taipei city), why can’t MYJ do the same with Hanyu Pinyin?

They already sent the memo. About a year ago. You can see the results. :cry: It’s not funny.

Actually, let’s be fair. It will take some time and a lot of $$$ (not to mention Heaven knows hwo much patience):

[quote]The Ministry of Education recently called a meeting of representatives from ministries, commissions, and local governments to work out principles and implementation measures for a switch from Tongyong Romanization to Hanyu Romanization in the representation of Chinese sounds. The meeting decided to implement Hanyu Romanization in three stages:
[color=#4040FF]The first stage will focus on information services[/color], international computer information exchange, and policy dissemination: changing names in passports, the Romanization of place names, English-language addresses, ROC Yearbook data, household registration and military draft information, and other related information systems and software.
[color=#BF00FF]The second stage will be concerned with renewal or outsourced updating that will require two years or more to implement[/color], and will thus be implemented by year. This includes the updating of signage or printed materials related to library information systems and service facilities, tourism and recreation, education and culture, and other environmental facilities.
[color=#FF4000]The third stage will concentrate on replacement and renewal work that is not urgent, such as that regarding signage and printed instructions for transportation and shipping, store signs, and other facilities that will temporarily be left as they are. [/color]The Ministry of Education stresses that the transliteration of Chinese characters uses Roman letters to represent the sounds of Chinese characters, names, and terms that cannot be translated, and that Romanization is a tool for the writing of language. The decision to switch to Hanyu Romanization was based on the international use of that system and the provision of convenience for foreigners in distinguishing characters, communicating, and transmitting information.
[/quote]
http://www.cepd.gov.tw/encontent/m1.aspx?sNo=0010994&key=&ex=%20&ic=&cd=

Individual counties and major cities were never forced to switch to Tongyong, though some of them (e.g., Penghu and Jilong) were under the mistaken impression that they had to and thus did so. :doh:

As for Taipei County, more than three years ago Magistrate Zhou Xiwei (a.k.a., Mr. Useless) said he wanted Taipei County to switch to Hanyu Pinyin. AFAIK, he has done absolutely nothing toward this in all that time. Of course, it doesn’t appear he’s done much of anything during his time in office other than pose for photos.

That’s an outrageous falsification. He said hello to me near Nanshijiao Station once while he was on the stump with his little gang of fellow gravy-train passengers.
(I had to read his trendy little jacket to work out who he was.)

Incidentally, have you seen the huge “Zhou Xiwei xiàtái!” poster on the elevated Highway 64? Someone really doesn’t like him…

Yeah, well, I bet someone was taking a photo of the big event. So neener. Or would that count as multitasking? Close enough for government work?

No, I’ll have to look for that. Heh!

Seems there are quite a few around the county. This isn’t the one I was talking about, but it’s the same organisation (國賠請求協會籌備會, whoever they are) putting them up. No reasons given that he should step down - I suppose they presume it’s self-evident. Ha.