MoI changed the ID Number format

What benefits does the family card give you?

Might try and sign up just to see if I can.

Obviously. It’s just corruption. Some insane policy made by people who think others are idiots and don’t know how these systems work.

1 Like

Discounts on some items and foods during promotions mainly.

Has anyone found a single website that didn’t accept the old format, but now accepts the new format?

Of not then this whole exercise has been a total waste of time and money.

4 Likes

Before they could claim that our number just didn’t meet what the system was looking for. Now they have to go out of their way to let foreigners know they aren’t welcome. Either way, same results.

Which is why I’m going to hold out for the entire 10 years until I’m forced to change the card. It’s all the hassle of having to update companies with none of the benefits.

1 Like

I got the card today. The new number seems to have nothing to do with old one, except the third number IS between 0 and 6. And yes, the old number is printed at the back of the card.

1 Like

Would you share your third number? You can PM if you don’t want to do publicly.

We still don’t know what 0-6 mean and try to reverse engineer it by collecting data from many people on the third number.

I will get the new number mid march when I apply for APRC.

No problem. It is 0.

1 Like

Some good and bad news my friends.

It seems that they did not include further nationality encoding into the IDs besides distinguishing between those groups:

• All foreigners (incl. stateless)
  • National without household registration (NWOHR)
  • National without household registration (NWOHR) from Hong Kong or Macao
  • National without household registration (NWOHR) from PRC

Before all NWOHR’s were in the same encoding group (A,B as second letter). Now you can tell them apart by their ID numbers.

Relevant Info

Feel bad for NWOHR’s… Can only send thoughts and prayers :pray:
e.g. there can be online services which accept Hong Konger ARC but deny Mainlander ARC

Bad news… there is a security issue I won’t disclose at the moment.
I am trying to get in touch with the government agencies. I hope they will stop issuing IDs and fix the problem. :sideeye:

Edit: Just wanted to add. It is not critical, but a bad decision that can be fixed.

13 Likes

The way this new ID number has-been issued is a disgrace.

Almost!

yeah it’s like thrown us a delicious bone as if we were dogs, but it turns out this bone is made of plastic

So basically they INCREASED the ability to discriminate.

4 Likes

I called 監理處 about ID number on drivers license. This 小姐 who answered my call sounded already familiar with the situation. So I need to take my old drivers license with new APRC card, and they will give me a new one. Well, my drivers license is like 18 years old, so maybe nice to have a new one.

1 Like

Nice investigation! When I changed everything to TW ID, the Motor Vehicles Office was indeed quite straightforward and fast. They had a standard form ready for ID change.

Later I went to 監理處. Everything went fine, didn’t take too much time and I got a new drivers license. Then I went to 富邦產險 office which is just a minute away from 監理處, because I have motorcycle insurance. I told the lady at the window about my new number. Apparently she was struggling. She was consulting with her colleagues how to get it through. After like 15 minutes, she eventually told me, “sorry sir, it will take longer. Would you sit down there and wait?” I didn’t want to wait, so I just let her copy my ARPC card, then left. So obviously some people are not ready.

Yes! :grimacing:

https://translatingtaiwanlit.com/2021/02/04/afterthechange/

@Marco
Have a look at the list …

labor insurance, NHI card, Alien Digital Certificate, Banks

people have been describing demands to close and reopen accounts at banks, issues with motorcycle licenses/test applications, property deeds, mortgages, car loans. With hospital appointments, many clinics and hospitals will still have your old number in their systems, even though with your new NHI card, doctors should still be able to access your previous publicly held records

Fun times ahead!

2 Likes

I’m not touching that till they tell me too. It makes zero difference what ARC number is on your work permit.

1 Like

Is there any specific deadline (date) that MoI is putting up for holders to change their cards to the new format?

10 years from now