MoI changed the ID Number format

I took a day off work! Went to get my new ID at 8am when NIA office opened.

NIA - pick up APRC 5min
DMV - wait + processing ca. 30 min
Banks - 30min to 60min each

I was done about 2pm. Most banks close at 3.30pm

Note: I did not have credit cards or loans!

6 Likes

Presume you had to go on some other day to apply for the new ID also?

I just applied for a APRC for my son, no choice on the new number, cannot refuse although the lady did not seem at all surprised that I did not want it on his or to update my own so there must already be complaints.

Is it mandatory to get the new ID number on your APRC? Or can I keep things as is?

Yes. Takes like 30 minutes if you have all documents on the ready. I took half day off.

1 Like

If you need to update your ARC/APRC due to expiry, address or passport change, you will get new ID. No choice in this matter.
And I still need to travel to Taipei to get Open Work Permit :expressionless:

2 Likes

Can keep it for up to 10 years but if you make any change, new passport, change address etc., they’ll nobble you with the new number.

Bit of a joke, given this is their initiative surely they could have arranged that you simply call them or register on a website saying you need a new ID number and you either just go pick it up or, better yet, have it posted to you.

I got the new ID number because I applied for APRC. My ARC was still valid for 2+ years, because I recently got new ARC after my passport expired.

Ugh. Looks like they didn’t sync this properly. My passport’s still good for the next 9 years and I’m not moving out soon…so yeah, I guess I’ll keep it for now.

Wait, does the APRC expire? Or you mean to say in the event I leave Taiwan and my APRC expires?

An APRC does not “expire” as such, but needs to be updated if your passport number or address changes.

Guy

2 Likes

If you don’t travel internationally you actually don’t need to update a passport, hence no need for a new APRC.

Doesn’t your APRC get cancelled if it not attached to a valid passport? I thought you can’t live in Taiwan as a foreigner without a valid passport, even if you have an APRC.

1 Like

A passport is just a travel document.

If a passport expires very soon they only issue an ARC until the expiry date.
APRC is also attached to a passport. They know when it expires and will contact you to update.

Straight off the bat you no longer need to undergo the periodic renewal of your visa and all the accompanying faff. Your APRC will only need to be updated (free of charge) if you move house, or if your passport number or name changes.

It’s also worth noting that (just like ARC holders) technically those over 14 years old should carry your APRC or passport with you at all times within Taiwan. (Regulations Governing Visiting, Residency, and Permanent Residency; article 16/ Immigration Act article 28).

2 Likes

I got my APRC last year before all this new format mess started.
So far, I see no reason to change it within the next few years…

Sure. Try thing that to every place which needs it as your primary id

Certainly not in Taiwan, there are lot’s of processes, not involving travel, where a valid passport is required.

1 Like

I haven’t pulled out my passport for about 5 years now.

Had to use mine just yesterday, didn’t involve travel.

1 Like