Mold!

I just took my tan leather jacket out of the closet and found it to be covered in mold. I took a damp cloth to it and wiped the fucker down as best as I could. I’m waiting for it to dry before I trip the fuck out and smash something. There are spots all over the jacket that appear dark but I think that’s just the water in the core of each spot of mold - FUCK! I’m in a bit of a panic. The jacket was bought and brought from Canada years ago and it’s worth 1000CAD. Not easily replaced. Especially in my size.

HELP!

I took mine to the drycleaners and they got the mold out. Took a few weeks as they sent it away somewhere. And $700 NT. :neutral:
Good luck.

1 Like

700NT is nothing to get a decent leather jacket cleaned up. Anyway, leather looks much better on animals.

Bit late, now, jp.

Yeah, definitely give it to a dry cleaner. In the meantime go buy some big dessicant packets. Keep them well sealed. When the jacket comes back, spray it heavily with Lysol all over, and hang it with two dehumidifiers and a fan blowing on it until it’s bone dry. When the season for wearing it is over, repeat the LYsol bit and dry it again. Then seal it in an airtight plastic bag, with big dessicant packs, and put away until next year. If you’re lucky it may be mold-free the next time you get it out. If it only has a little hint of mold at that time, repeat the Lysol bit and it should be ok.

I found the only way to keep mold from growing on my leather jacket in taiwan was to keep it in the back seat of my car at all times during the months it was hot and I couldnt wear it. Then I never had mold on it.

We all know you just wanted to show it off even when it was too hot to wear. :slight_smile:

Doesn’t Lysol make it stink? Even a trace of the smell of that stuff gives me the dry heaves.
You can get a tin of Kiwi leather jacket treatment in RTMart for NT$50. I haven’t used it on my tan jacket but I did an ancient dried out black biker jacket recently and it came out a treat – supple and shiny. A bit greasy, but it dries, or you could polish it after slapping the stuff on. I don’t think mould will grow on that.

Be very careful with dry cleaners. I had the same problem my first year in Taiwan (also an expensive Canadian leather jacket) and the cleaners just dyed the fucking thing. Ten years later it still has an unpleasant dye smell to it and is rather stiff.

In the future make sure the jacket is able to breathe in the closet (ie, isn’t touching other clothes). Also wipe it down before you put it away for the season as grease and particles of hair, skin, food you pick up in daily life can be a breeding ground for mold.

I have no problem with my mold anymore on my clothing or shoes and I live in Muzha by the river which is a pretty humid location.

Are you sure about that? :smiley:

Oh Mr Bismarck! You do indeed have a point!

:smiley: lol…

I was worried about the same thing, but when I tried it (out of desperation) on one jacket, I found that it didn’t smell like Lysol after it dried, whereas other things (like sneakers) still do. Must be something about the leather. :idunno: Oh, and it was one of those fancy new fragrant Lysols and not the traditional version.

Shouldn’t this be in the Living in Wales forum?

Visit Mold!

Wouldn’t Dubbin work to allay leather mould?

I thought that was just for hard leather products like shoes and rugby balls… :ponder:

I thought that was just for hard leather products like shoes and rugby balls… :ponder:
Rugby balls are made from leather? They must use a lot of rats to get so many nipples. :minnie:

[quote=“jimipresley”]I thought that was just for hard leather products like shoes and rugby balls… :ponder:
Rugby balls are made from leather? They must use a lot of rats to get so many nipples. :minnie:[/quote]

Well, the old style ones, yeah. The modern ones are made from fabricated materials.

They are made from a tissue of lies?

I’ll get my coat.

[quote=“bismarck”][quote=“jimipresley”]I thought that was just for hard leather products like shoes and rugby balls… :ponder:
Rugby balls are made from leather? They must use a lot of rats to get so many nipples. :minnie:[/quote]

Well, the old style ones, yeah. The modern ones are made from fabricated materials.[/quote]
Sheeet! Remember those from school. On a rainy day like trying to catch an octopus in a swamp.