Mold!

They are made from a tissue of lies?

I’ll get my coat.
[/quote]

Ja, ok. You got me there. :ohreally: :blush:

[quote=“jimipresley”][quote=“bismarck”][quote=“jimipresley”]I thought that was just for hard leather products like shoes and rugby balls… :ponder:
Rugby balls are made from leather? They must use a lot of rats to get so many nipples. :minnie:[/quote]

Well, the old style ones, yeah. The modern ones are made from fabricated materials.[/quote]
Sheeet! Remember those from school. On a rainy day like trying to catch an octopus in a swamp.[/quote]

:roflmao: Indeed!!

While in Taiwan, I once found 3 pairs of shoes completely covered in mold. I didn’t want to bother with cleaning it and the risk of it coming back (or not 100% gone) and then getting a REAL serious mold problem with my feet. I just threw them away.

But perhaps you want to try psychological warfare? Walk around the house saying things like “I hate mold” and “they say it’s going to be a dry year next year” and “OH I’m so thru with mold, I now want to use every means to kill all the mold in this place”. Say it loud and clear and repeat it several times a day and for several days! The mold will move out to the neighbours!

Dehumidifiers are the key to crippling your mold. I’ve got three of them in my 45 ping place that I run basically 24 hours a day. Not only do they keep the mold away - they also make the air feel cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter at a cost far lower than AC or heating.

As for the moldy jacket - first, take it to the dry cleaners and then sell it on ebay before the mold comes back, because I’m pretty sure it will. It’s hard to get that stuff out.

Pull a backpack out of the closet after only two weeks and it looks like this.

20190214_095625

I really hate this. And I am having same problem. Can you just clean this with diluted bleach?

I’ve done this with my wall and it worked.

No. Bleach gives you cancer. And you have to use organic stuff to really clear organic stuff.

Try white vinegar for starters. Use gloves and wear a mask.

Make sure you open up the doors of your closet when you’re dehumidifying the room.

Oh shit. I just wiped my walls with bleach. I wore gloves tho but no mask. :expressionless:

Does the temperature correlates to humidity? I am thinking of getting a fan that can circulate warm air as opposed to normal cool air. Does this help bringing down the humidity? I can imagine that hot air will help drying bathroom quicker.

White vinegar works really well, I got some bottles from a hardware store and mix it with water, like 60 water 40 vinegar in a spray bottle.
You can clean your floors with it, walls, sofa whatever.
I am in a new apartment now and I have those desiccant packs in all the closets/some drawers and 2 dehumidifiers to deal with the moisture.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure most organisms thrive in the heat, so it’s probably purely an issue of moisture. Although heaters do tend to dry up a room…hmm.

I really can’t say for certain. I just know that opening up my dresser drawers and dehumidifying my bedroom every night while I sleep has kept everything I own in good shape.

Spores fly around. That is the problem.

I usually nuke them with hot steam and then vinegar/organic based cleaner.

1 Like

+1 on the vinegar.

Chalk in your drawers (buy packs of kid chalk and put in little mesh bags) absorbs moisture.

Chalk or magic ama (beads which absorb moisture) in your cupboard. I have both in cupboards, although the chalk is more environmentally friendly, as you can hang it out when it gets full of moisture and reuse it.

You can also buy blocks of carbon to absorb moisture/smells.

Air dry stuff on coat hangers on door frames and such for a few days before putting in cupboard if it has been near your body, although your place can begin to look like a refugee camp.

Chalk? Are you referring to those moth balls or napthalene balls?

Do you know the chinese so it will make it easier to google lol.

Does apple cider vinegar works? I guess I’ll just bring home some acetic acid from work.

I’m moving to a new and bigger place so now I can actually get some stuff to occupy the spaces. I’m gonna buy the dehumidifier and fan that blows hot/cold air. Pretty sure my bathroom will be kept dry now with these two combos.

That’s what I do. Hang everything. Only when they are completely dry it goes to my drawer.

Please please please do not put napthalene/moth balls in any of your cupboards! The people before us in our rental did this, and the drawers all absolutely stink. I think they had no sense of smell? We can’t put anything in the drawers without bagging it first, it just will not go away.

1 Like

So what is this chalk? You are not referring to chalk of a chalkboard, are you?

20190214_121934

I think the sugar content in ACV will feed the mold.

Haha. Dang, I never thought of this. But thanks. Buying them now.

Second that. Your poor lungs are already facing enough threats.