Mole hairs

This is ancient, but highly relevant to this thread:

craigslist.org/about/best/lax/35274458.html

In the last two days I’ve seen three guys with those facial moles which have hair growing out of them. Now I can understand if you don’t want to have surgery to have the mole removed from your face, fine - but these guys all had 10 or 20 really long hairs growing out of the moles… I’m talking like 6 inches long. CUT THE DAMN HAIRS… lol. Seriously though seeing this is like the visual equivalent of nails on a chalkboard as far as I’m concerned. Are there any cultural reasons for this? Maybe it’s considered sexy here…

It’s for good luck or it’s bad luck to cut it. Superstition thing. Like getting your hair cut or cleaning your house before Chinese New Year.

It’s weird and the girls hate it. My friend (bar owner) had one. His bar girls made fun of him behind his back and mimicked stroking the hair with a pensive look. Pretty funny.

it probably started centuries ago when people noticed that some people who plucked their mole hairs died not long after (probably cuz those moles were cancerous ) and thus the whole superstition was born (relevant in those days for sure).

but modern science now tells us that moles have to be watched because they COULD turn cancerous. And moles with hair growing out of them are especially prone to cancer and SHOULD BE REMOVED as soon as possible

[quote=“Mr He”]I just asked my wife. Her answer was at least candid:" They must like it". A deeper probe revealed that she didn’t knew why. However, she suggested me to find someone with a big hairy mole and ask her/him.

[/quote]
I have moles with hair growing out of them. i keep the hair trimmed, but it would be much better for all concerned if you do not ask me about them.

You know what is my pet peeve? I really find amputees/people born with partical limbs who don’t wear prosthetics to be absolutely disgusting. Prosthetics really aren’t that expensive, so these people have no excuse for not getting one. I think there is a minimum level of respect you should give everyone, and that includes being minimally pleasing to the eye. I mean, I could block out the stump, but what are you going to do when you don’t know it’s coming? If you know someone with a stump, do them a favor and clue them in. :slight_smile:

V I hope your sarcastic wit isn’t an attempt at a serious analogy; personal hygiene and body defects/injuries that can’t be helped are obviously very different things. This would be why I purposefully delineated between the mole itself and six inches of hair growing out of said mole. Unless you want to disavow us all of trying to make ourselves presentable in public at all. In which case I will be the first to fling my poo at you. :wink:

your snipping mole hairs peeve is another person’s prosthetics peeve is another person’s panty lines peeve. How hard is it to snip a mole hair? How hard is it to slip on a prosthetic? How hard is it to wear thong undies? as long as a person doesn’t stink, i don’t mind. and even then, if it’s an elderly person who stinks, i give them a pass. i’m more offended by rude behavior than i am something aesthetic. but in any case, this is a small shi, so please continue to focus on the mole hairs while i focus on the good will shown to me by strangers. the rude behavior and the mole hairs i just block out.

Mole hair doesn’t lie in any particular direction, allowing the mole to move backwards just as easily as forwards

Mole hair is ugly to me, I would get rid of it. But really I dont get too concerned about others, I just laugh and point it out to my gf. Sorry if I’m immature but i dont think its hurting them.

Thanks, I will indeed continue to focus on the mole hairs as a priority in life. Though I have to say it’s a bit ironic that while you don’t worry about people with mole hair, you do worry about people who post about people with mole hair.

necroflux, i was thinking that too. why post about someone’s obsesssion with mole hairs? i thought about it on the drive to work while i was listening to the news. i thought, 7 years in taiwan and i don’t remember fixating on mole hairs. why? Why are these people doing it? Why am i posting a response? i think for me it has to do with the hurried nature of my life. i like to express myself in writing and forumosa.com is easily available. sometimes interesting things are posted. sometimes the most interesting thing is the present topic. i haven’t found another forum that i like better basically. but i’m open to suggestions. you know we all have to be pretty bored and dying for stimulation when we start talking about mole hairs. i hope to start working with others on a presidential campaign soon, but i haven’t decided between hillary, barack, and john yet. too early. so when that gets going, i’ll start writing in my own blog about that stuff and leave topics such as these to others.

Indeed you are right. There are better things to be done, no question.

Barack all the way! :wink:

talking about barack is a good use of time. you know how some people read the bible to find peace? i’ve never done that, but i’m starting to read barack’s speeches for the same reason. if you go to barackobama.com, go to his speeches and read the commencement address to xavier university. it brought tears to my eyes.

it occurred to me after reading it that during his years as a community organizer in a poor area of chicago, maybe he found that his only real power to change things at that time was to inspire people. he couldn’t bring steel worker jobs back or catch drug dealers, so he turned to honing his speaking ability and appealing to people heart to heart.

but you know, i supported ralph nader back in 2000. he is an angel of a man who has done more concrete good than any of the candidates then or now. look what happened to him. so for that reason, i’m hesitant to support barack. i’m afraid that the color of his skin makes him unelectable and i want someone electable and half way decent rather than nonelectable and a prophet.

i have a dislike for edwards now that i see how overty and covertly he is courting a union i am familliar with. he had someone wearing a union t-shirt strategically placed (i think) in one of his videoed speeches. most people would have missed the placing, but my husband has that t-shirt, so i picked it up. that union is crooked, but i never hear him criticizing it. he just wants member votes.

none of the candidates can inspire like barack. none of them can communicate as clearly. none of them had his clearness of vision (except kucinich) when we were getting into the iraq war.

I think voting for Nader and Obama are two very different things. If Obama gets through the primaries, then he’s got a great chance at election. At that point the only wrong thing you could do (at least as I perceive your views)… is vote for Nader again.

The southern states (i.e. the “still use the confederate flag states”) don’t elect democrats in the first place so no real loss there. And I’m confident his ability to captivate people with - gasp - honesty can easily get him victories in the swing states.

I personally view Obama as the last hope for the United States (perhaps Ron Paul on the republican side as well). He hasn’t been in politics long enough to become corrupted, as far as my gut feeling tells me anyway. And he is just unbelievably unbiased and intelligent.

i will never vote for a 3rd party candidate again at the federal level. i learned my lesson the hard way. i just am wary of the extent of prejudice across the nation, not just in the south. i would love for obama to win. besides getting teary eyed at his xavier commencement speech, i had the weird feeling of suddenly being afraid he would be assasinated.

Exactly the same thing I told my friend. If he does get elected, they are going to have to be very, very careful.

they need to be careful now. besides him being black, i think it is because we value him so highly that we are afraid for him.

[quote=“v”] so for that reason, i’m hesitant to support barack. i’m afraid that the color of his skin makes him unelectable and i want someone electable and half way decent rather than nonelectable and a prophet.

[/quote]
I don’t agree he’s unelectable. I think it’s time. Before Kennedy was elected people thought a Roman Catholic was unelectable too. Now it’s not even something you’d think of.

My first weekend, I went hiking at Yangmingshan with a university classmate I’d known from stateside. A big “singles” outing went by us on the trail, led by a 40-something Taiwanese guy with what passed for a squashed daddy longlegs on his face.

Me: Hey, what’s with that guy’s mole?

Friend: He probably thinks it’s lucky.

Me: Is it?

Friend: He’s up here on a mountain-top with a single’s group…

If they’re going to do it, it would be nice if they would use some conditioner from time to time on these. As the guy from QueerEye is always urging, these guys need to “use more product”. The ones I really don’t understand are the ones where a random hair is sticking out of a place on somebody’s cheek or face where there isn’t any mole – what led to the survival of these enormous hairs?

When the placement of a large mole is particularly odd or conspicuous (e.g., the 7-11 girl near my home has a big black one under her nose that mimics a “shicklegruber”), the immortal words of Uncle Buck come back to me: