Money Management Seminar

Dear Everyone,

There wil be a Money Management Seminar held on May 4th, 10~12, Taipei City, Near Minquan E. MRT Station. We invited Mr. Tim Su ( Sales Manager) of Manulife Company to share his knowledge and experiences w/ regard to Money management and provide you other better investment options. He will start a seminar if there is at least 5 people.

If interested or any other question, please email me.

God Bless,
Aileen
aileensutan@yahoo.com

So the seminar is not teaching us to manage money, but promoting your own management services whereby we ‘invest’ with you right?

This isn’t just a phoney financial advice seminar in which the “advisors” are actually trying to sell lousy and unwanted insurance products, is it?

Can you promise that the speaker will refrain from trying to pitch his products?

If so, it may be worth attending. Otherwise, it’s merely a scam.

Do you know the answer?

In fairness, all seminars are sales pitches, in all fields, all the time. The good ones just do it by giving you enough genuinely useful information to convince you that the guy giving it might be worth hiring :wink:

Very true :slight_smile:

Very true :slight_smile:[/quote]

Yes and no. There may be some truth to what you say, but. . .

It’s possible one may attend a seminar in which attendees pay an admission charge and the presenter is not trying to sell anything else to them (other than the price of admission), but is only presenting information that may genuinely be useful.

Unless the OP informs us to the contrary, this “seminar” appears to be on the other extreme – one where there is no admission charge and the presenter coyly pretends that the purpose is to assist people and present useful information, but in fact it’s strictly a sales pitch for a product.

Manulife isn’t exactly a fly-by-night operation. Although I might not necessarily act on what the speaker has to say, I’d definitely hear him out.

Unless he tries to sell “whole life insurance,” if that’s the correct name for the shoddy product where they make a costly package of an insurance policy combined with a vehicle for saving and investing money for retirement, which is actually greatly overpriced and inferior to other things one could do with ones money. Term life insurance is another thing, if one needs it and they have a good price.

Anyway, I look forward to hearing further from our OP concerning what exactly they are selling.

It maybe one of those cases where in fact the OP knows nothing about the product being sold even though in part they are trying to market it.

I’m looking to invite 50 people to a money-management seminar where I sell my secret of how I make NT$50,000 for just a few hours’ work.

Entrance fee: NT$1,000 per person.

PM me for details. Thank you.

Very true :slight_smile:[/quote]

Yes and no. There may be some truth to what you say, but. . .

It’s possible one may attend a seminar in which attendees pay an admission charge and the presenter is not trying to sell anything else to them (other than the price of admission), but is only presenting information that may genuinely be useful. [/quote]

Which is still a sales pitch, just a better one (i.e. soft sell) :stuck_out_tongue: . Seminars, regardless paid or not paid, is all about selling (be it a product, information, services etc). A successful seminar will induce the attendees to then follow up post-seminar for additional information in which the sales people would look to “close” on the opportunity/sale.

Hi Thank you for all your comments…It’s really very interesting!

Facts that you should know:
Saving money in the bank is no good investment as you only earn 2% or so and even if you put your money ( even if it is a large sum) on time deposit, the interest rate is only about 4~6% . Even bankers will not advise you where you should invest your money unless of course you ask.

The purpose of this seminar is to provide you more information on how to handle your money well, provide you other better investment options for you to choose. Please note this seminar is not a real quick rich investment but it is definitely a lot better than putting your money in the bank.

This seminar is totally free, it is up to you if you are going to invest or not but definitely you will gain a lot information for your future investment. If you are those people who want to increase your money but are very conservative with it. You should definitely hear this one out. It is DEFINITELY WORTH IT!

Here is the link of Manulife: www.manulife.com for your reference

What exactly are you selling? If this investment is so good, why don’t you just advertise it? Why do you have to have people commit themselves to attending a sales seminar? Is it part of your sales technique? Will we be subjected to any high-pressure sales tactics while we’re there?

[quote=“theHATfamily”]Hi Thank you for all your comments…It’s really very interesting!

Facts that you should know:
Saving money in the bank is no good investment as you only earn 2% or so and even if you put your money ( even if it is a large sum) on time deposit, the interest rate is only about 4~6% . Even bankers will not advise you where you should invest your money unless of course you ask.
[/quote]

Actually, given that interest rates are quite high in Australia I currently earn a 6% return.

[quote=“theHATfamily”]
The purpose of this seminar is to provide you more information on how to handle your money well, provide you other better investment options for you to choose. Please note this seminar is not a real quick rich investment but it is definitely a lot better than putting your money in the bank.

This seminar is totally free, it is up to you if you are going to invest or not but definitely you will gain a lot information for your future investment. If you are those people who want to increase your money but are very conservative with it. You should definitely hear this one out. It is DEFINITELY WORTH IT!

Here is the link of Manulife: www.manulife.com for your reference[/quote]

Well I’m not sure what products you are selling, but managed funds are a waste of time especially since the market is closer to a peak than a trough…and to be perfectly honest cash is not such a bad thing to have on hand when the markets are at an all time high.

So what kind of returns does your company provide? What are the fees involved?

[quote]Actually, given that interest rates are quite high in Australia I currently earn a 6% return.
[/quote]

For an exchange rate of 27.336 to the Taiwan dollar that only a few years ago was under 18.

The exchange rate at the moment is so bad that for the first time perhaps ever the NT is weaker than the Thai Bhat. Weaker than the Thai Bhat! Holy Fuck! That’s bad. The upside at least is that Thailand might make for a sweeter option than rotting to death in Taiwan.

Does this investment adviser have any golden parachutes for me to cling onto when I bail from the Hindenberg that is the Taiwan economy?

Well Taiwan has a bit of a problem in that it can’t lift interest rates because its likely to cause a housing price crash / credit crunch and in combination with a subsequently high dollar, the export industry will be screwed and send Taiwan into recession.

Is there a need to lift interest rates in Taiwan? How well is the economy doing?

Interestingly, the US dollar is appreciating at the moment and so too is the Australian dollar against the NT. There must be some carry trade between Taiwan and Australia chasing the high interest rates in Australia influencing the price of the NT. Anyway I hope they all get burnt. The best case scenario for me is a recession in Australia.

:laughing:

I add to that wishlist a civil war in Thailand after the King dies. At which point I’ll be at Bangkok airport offering free business class tickets to anywhere in the world in return for Samui and Phuket beachside villas.

It’s just so damned hard trying to be an ethical investor!

HG

[quote]It’s just so damned hard trying to be an ethical investor!
[/quote]

It’s not that hard HG. In a perfect world we’d all vote for Bob Brown. He’d save the environment so we’d have a nice place to hang our hats and he’d drive the economy into the ground so we could pick it all up for a song. How unethical is that?

Unethical would be voting for that guy from Family First. You’d still get the recession you’ve been praying for but we’d all have to wear cheap suits and look weird. Plus only have sex in the missionary position which I haven’t done since junior high school.

[quote=“Fox”]Is there a need to lift interest rates in Taiwan? How well is the economy doing?

Interestingly, the US dollar is appreciating at the moment and so too is the Australian dollar against the NT. There must be some carry trade between Taiwan and Australia chasing the high interest rates in Australia influencing the price of the NT. Anyway I hope they all get burnt. The best case scenario for me is a recession in Australia.[/quote]

Nope, and thats why it sux to be an investor here.