Money Management Seminar

Unless you invest in real estate.

Tell that to the majority of foreign real estate investors in the last 10 years. Not only have they suffered from $NT value drops in property prices, but now the $NT has lost considerable ground against most of the major currencies.

Property value appreciations have more than exceeded even the decline in the Australian dollar. An investment in property in Taipei would have been an easy winner over the past 4 years. You would have nearly doubled your money. Sending money to Australia and investing it at 6% against a 33% decline in the value of the NT is a certain loser.

I thought it was difficult to sell property on again in Taiwan? The increse in value is only there if you can sell, and most people want new-build, don’t they?

I’m praying for a recession in the UK. I hope my wish comes true in the next year or so!

I live in Neihu. They sell like hot cakes here, old or new.

I wasn’t making a comparison between a bank account of 6% and investing in property, but merely comparing the interest rates between Australia and Taiwan.

So you are telling me that the average property in Taipei has doubled in 4 years? I did a bit of research, but I can’t find anything to support that kind of rise. Perhaps some property owners here can confirm that? If so, then it has mirrored property rises in places like Australia and UK.

Personally, the ASX is my investment choice, and its been a rather good one so far.

4 years ago I went to buy a house up in Chang Ching, a mountain community next to Neihu, though, I believe, in Shizi. They wanted 6 million. That same house is for sale today listed at 13.4 million. In fact, now according to my wife, we had seen the same house 2 years before that, when it was a dump, and they wanted 4 million.

Right…but thats not an accurate representation of house prices in general in Taipei over the last 4 years right?

[quote=“theHATfamily”]There wil be a Money Management Seminar held on May 4th, 10~12, Taipei City, Near Minquan E. MRT Station. We invited Mr. Tim Su ( Sales Manager) of Manulife Company to share his knowledge and experiences w/ regard to Money management and provide you other better investment options. He will start a seminar if there is at least 5 people.
[/quote]

OK, so he’s going to try and sell you something. Good, that will be interesting.

I would like to see how a top-class sales person operates in this country as the sales process in Taiwan doesn’t seem to work like I was told it did in the western world. Put me down for a ticket.

Also, it would be interesting whether this is an off-the-peg product that is assumed to be equally suitable for local citizens and all foreigners regardless of their residency status, or what.

Can’t wait!

It’s anecdotal. I think the trend has been similar everywhere. Money is fairly cheap in Taiwan. The economy is not in recession. The Taiwan stock exchange has also doubled in value in four years so you could’ve been on a winner there too. Taiwan hasn’t been a dog to invest in.

Yes, money is cheap here, and like everywhere else thats priced in the capital valuations which means as worldwide inflation hits either the cost of money will increase or the government can print more and devalue it.

Its also easy to say that its doubled in 4 years, but for anyone who’s been investing since 2000, they’ve just made their money back.

[quote]Its also easy to say that its doubled in 4 years, but for anyone who’s been investing since 2000, they’ve just made their money back.
[/quote]

You are allowed to buy and sell. 2000 is a long time ago. It is not realistic to make those kind of comparisons as an investor. However, there has been a substantial rally in the Taiwan stock market over the past few years. There has also been a substantial rally in the property market.

It is hard to say if cheap money in Taiwan is fully priced into the asset markets. Taiwan has a security issue that probably discounts the stock market and to a lesser extent the property market.

How many people do you know who sell out successfully from a crashing market?

check the taipei times recent editions (within the last 3-4 days). there was an article in there talking about the price of taipei real estate, and how it has, in general, doubled over the last four years.

just for reference.

[quote]How many people do you know who sell out successfully from a crashing market?
[/quote]

I don’t know a lot but I know that it is feasable by shorting the market.

Quite, besides that strategy I know I’d have made a lot more money by selling my losses before they only got bigger; and then having the nouse to buy back low. To some degree I’ve learnt that lesson, but nowhere near to the point that I’d like.

Fox wrote: [quote]I don’t know a lot[/quote]

Not unexpected. You’re a bloody Aussie!! :smiling_imp: :laughing: :beer:

I know this much:

Knock Knock
Who’s There?
Statue
Statue, who?
Statue Bro…it’s pissin’down out here. I got Dolly.

Hi Everyone!

The Money Management Seminar will be held (May 4th,10~12am) at 1st floor, 23 Fushun Jie,by the corner of Chung Shan and Min Quan West Road Michuen West Road Station on the Red Line of the MRT. Just 3-5 minutes walk from many bus stops.

Please kindly register with me so that we will know how many people will come and will prepare enough space and seats. Thank you…

Aileen
aileensutan@yahoo.com
0926 609838

[quote=“Tyc00n”]Yes, money is cheap here, and like everywhere else thats priced in the capital valuations which means as worldwide inflation hits either the cost of money will increase or the government can print more and devalue it.

Its also easy to say that its doubled in 4 years, but for anyone who’s been investing since 2000, they’ve just made their money back.[/quote]

The house I’m living in now was bought (not by me :laughing:) as a new build for NT$12.5mil around 2000. I’m renting the place for NT$15k a month because the owners couldn’t afford to invest any money as a rental property and I was the only mug willing to rent with no fixtures/furniture/whatnot. When I moved in they were trying to sell the house for NT$9m and the last I heard it’s gone down to NT$7m with no interest whatsoever.

Yeh, Da Keng isn’t exactly hot property but just because one or two prime areas always do well doesn’t mean that Taiwanese real estate is a good investment. I know so many people who’ve been burned it’s just not funny. Given the massive imbalance between rent and purchase prices here I would have to get a really friggin good deal and have kids to even think about buying.

Hi Everyone!

We were scheduled to have a Money Management on May 4th,10 ~12 am. It will be moved to May 7th, 10~12 am Taipei City near Minchuen E. Road MRT station. The speaker will be Mr. Tim Su from Manulife. He will discuss how we can save more money than putting our money in the bank.

Nobody told me how we can have more money return aside from saving our money on the bank or in time deposit. It would be great if somebody before inform me this I would have save more money now. Some people they invest theirs on stocks. But for me that is too risky. I can’t afford to lose money as you know it’s hard to earn. There’s no guarantee…

Last time while I was roaming around Page One. One book caught my attention. That is How Smart Couple Finish Rich by David Bach. It tells about aside from saving 10% monthly of your money. It also encourages you to put your money in different investment such as mutual funds…

Last year Feb. I invested only a small amount of Nt 20,000 at mutual (Global) fund. Two succeeding months the amount becomes lower of 1000 plus. But it says that it should be put in a long term. At first my husband was skeptical and he discouraged me. And I was worried but the saying goes no risk no gain and so I let it roll. Thank God! After that two months it increases every month. The return for a year is almost half of the amount I invested!!! Better than saving in the bank. I don’t know how you feel about it…But for me it’s a great deal!

I would like to share this information to all of you. Maybe some of you are already doing it and some of you don’t. It helps me and I believe it will help you too in some way. I am not saling anything but merely providing the information I got and it is very helpful to me. The seminar costs nothing. It may be a great reference for you in the future. So I hope you can be there.

I’d like to know who will come so that we can prepare enough seats for you. Please email me at aileensutan@yahoo.com.

Thank you and God bless,
Aileen
0926 609838