Mongolia - 3 good reasons, enlighten me please

Alright all you well traveled forumosans, give me 3 good reasons why I should or should not go on a trek with Mrs. Quarters through Mongolia. Let hear it.

I have read about it and the place sounds pretty cool. Not much really there, but a lot of history, a pretty facinating way of life, and great people. I hear it is dangerous though…

Well, I’ve never been there. Would love to though. However, a friend of mine from Australia spent a month there a couple of years ago and loved every minute. She didn’t report any dangers, and she was a single female traveling alone.

I’d make sure the weather is right. That area of the world has a lot of dust storms in the spring. Summer would be nice.

Ask Almas John. He rode a horse in Mongolia. I guess its legal there.

Hey Almas…sandman says you fancy mongol horses. Care to entertain us with a story?

Mongolia is a great getaway from Taiwan; almost the complete opposite of the ROCK. It’s big open country with huge skies. Never seen such star-filled skies. A lot of traditional Mongolian culture/way of life is still intact.

I had a horse, a camel, and used a donkey (as a pack animal). The best way to get around is to hire a jeep and a driver.

Don’t make the mistake of thinking that a trip to Inner Mongolia (in China) would be a good substitute for Mongolia.

I’ve been working on my computer all day and my right hand is seizing up. Time to use my drinking hand.

[quote]I had a horse, a camel, and used a donkey[/quote] No shame. None.

[quote=“almas john”]Mongolia is a great getaway from Taiwan; almost the complete opposite of the ROCK. It’s big open country with huge skies. Never seen such star-filled skies. A lot of traditional Mongolian culture/way of life is still intact.

I had a horse, a camel, and used a donkey [color=darkred](as a pack animal)[/color]. The best way to get around is to hire a jeep and a driver.

Don’t make the mistake of thinking that a trip to Inner Mongolia (in China) would be a good substitute for Mongolia.

I’ve been working on my computer all day and my right hand is seizing up. Time to use my drinking hand.[/quote]

Thank you for clarifying that. I don’t really care to know what else one might use a donkey for.

Did you drink camel milk, eat mutton, and drink a lot of vodka? I hear camel milk really is great for your teeth.

How did you get to Mongolia? We were thinking along the line of flying into Hong Kong, and then getting on a long train ride to Mongolia. Don’t really trust the domestic air carriers of China.

Do you think it can be done in a week and not feel rushed?

No need for me to be ashamed, I treated the animals well. Damn, that’s not quite right; camel quit on me in the Gobi and I had to whack it to get it up. Then I traded down, swapping the sickly camel for a donkey.

Egads man!!! Havent you heard the saying what happens in the gobi stays in the gobi? Some things are better left unsaid and locked away in those special private rooms of our mind and the key thrown away. Now I have an aweful image of some guy in the desert whacking off a camel trying to get 'em up! :astonished:

[quote]Did you drink camel milk, eat mutton, and drink a lot of vodka? [/quote] Yes, yes and YES. I was revered as a drinking God.

[quote]I hear camel milk really is great for your teeth. [/quote] Girlie talk. Real men shouldn’t have any teeth left.

I’ve made the trip there and back three times, done the train the whole way, and also flown.

[quote]Don’t really trust the domestic air carriers of China. [/quote] The Hong Kong to Beijing route is better than those to and from rural areas. I had an emergency landing once flying back from Inner Mongolia to Beijing.