Mpox (Monkeypox) 🙈 nasty!

A post was merged into an existing topic: Repost of the Day (for real this time!)

Why does it have to be a conspiracy? They’re updating the information as more information becomes available. That’s how science and public advice works.

It WAS rare for Monkeypox to spread between people, especially in the West. Now it clearly HAS spread easily between people. Otherwise there wouldn’t be 100+ cases across multiple countries. Some of the people having not attending the originating event, meaning there’s already chains of transmission of at least 3 people.

And the page still says

Only a small number of people have been diagnosed with monkeypox in the UK.

You’re extremely unlikely to have monkeypox if:

• you have not recently travelled to west or central Africa
  • you have not been in close contact with someone who has monkeypox (such as touching their skin or sharing bedding)

So there’s no fear mongering or exaggeration. Just a delivery of facts.

And history is not being re-written. It says right there that the page was updated on 24th May. Nothing wrong with updating information.

6 Likes

When people use the word ‘conspiracy,’ they think of Dr Evil. The truth is far more mundane and pedestrian. If we take the definition of ‘conspiracy’ to mean: some powerful people working together to bring about a particular negative result, without us being privy to these discussions and lever-pulling, then why is that so hard to accept? That’s actually how things are done in the real world - people get together and make decisions.

Fearmongering: the action of intentionally trying to make people afraid of something when this is not necessary or reasonable Cambridge

Exaggeration: The fact of making something seem larger, more important, better, or worse than it really is. Cambridge

I would say that these terms fit perfectly here.

“Updating information.” Next up, “Freedom is slavery!” :wink:

4 Likes

It doesn’t necessarily follow that all those transmissions were “easy”. :kissing_heart: :no_mouth:

1 Like

And we still don’t have any answer that is coherent, logical and based on some semblance of reality.

Yeah, I hope you are right. Cosmetically speaking it looks almost as bad as Anthrax exposure.

Could be relatively easy.

Thats not how it works though.

First ones to go with COVID were immunocompromised, like cancer patients on remiss, like my cousin’s wife.

Now you have millions with long COVID or severe to mild lung and circulatory system damage because of COVID. If they get dengue, norovirus or any of the common stuff, that will hit them harder. Imagine if they get hepatitis or, as in this case, monkeypox. And I am assuming they did not have other chronic conditions on top of everything else.

What exactly do you think is happening to these Omicron cases?

You really think healthy people are getting long term respiratory or circulatory damage?

1 Like

It’s asymptomatic long covid.

1 Like

Some percentage, yes. There are also people dying. It is a gamble.

Seems most of us have forgotten 2020. Italy. UK. No vaccines. Intubation as last resort. Healthy folk keeling over. Some of those folks severely infected survived.

We had Delta. Now we have Omicron.

Damage has been found in asymptomatic cases. The ones who thought themselves lucky come up with stuff that should not be there for their age and conditions. Can’t blame it on vaccines if unvaccinated also have the symptoms.

We are still learning to deal with this. Most will come out ok. But no one walks through the fire unscarred. Some skirted the flame, some swam through.

1 Like

But that percentage is almost imperceptible. The percentage of people walking through the Omicron fire unscarred is great.

3 Likes

There’s another virus in Iraq now where you get a nosebleed and bleed to death.

You wait ages for one and then three come at once.

1 Like

Check the article about the effects of global warming on the spread of diseases, pathogens. It sounds most logical.

Considering what humans have done to the environment, it is no surprise nature is fighting back. By changing the ecosystems and pushing the limits, we are but dooming our future with hubris.

1 Like

I’m not waiting for these things. I don’t want them to come :rofl:

1 Like

Interesting link between monkeypox and smallpox…as biological weapons.

20220605_145131

1 Like

That’d be “roughly” as in:-

“Roughly make up a rough number. Who’s going to know?”

Or “roughly” as in:-

“Take me roughly from behind. Who’s going to know?”?

Like posters on Forumosa?

2 Likes