Montessori and EFL

After working in Montessori for 14 years, and in Taiwan for nine years, I finally decided to go ahead and put together a workshop. I will hold the workshop at my school in Hsinchu on the weekend of November 21 and 22. The class will go from 9 AM - 6 PM, with an hour lunch break. Topics will include:

What is Montessori?
Ideas in Foreign Language Teaching that support the Montessori Philosophy.
How to present materials in different areas of the classroom.
The Montessori Language Materials.
Record Keeping.
Educating Parents.

There will also be plenty of time to work with different materials with each other so you can ask questions and get feedback. After this two-day course, you will be more prepared to work in the Montessori classroom.

Date: Saturday, November 21 and Sunday, November 22, 2015.
Time: 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM. (One hour lunch break included).
A certificate for attendance and 16 continuing education credit hours will be provided at the end of the workshop.
No. 148 Puding 3rd Road
Hsinchu City, Taiwan
(5 minute walk from Costco)

Cost:
Early Bird Registration (Before October 31): $4,500 NT
After October 31: $5,500 NT

Registration is limited to 25 teachers. To register, first email any participant names to MattBronsilMontessori@gmail.com If there are still seats available, I will send you information on the price and payment details. Payment must be sent within 72 hours of confirmation, or your seat may be provided to someone on the waiting list.

More information can be found here:
http://montessorimatt.com/montessori/weeklyEFLClassTaiwan1.asp

Do not register by private message on forumosa. It might work, but I do not log on here regularly enough, and I might miss it.

I just got confirmation of this today:
This conference will count as up to 16 hours for continuing education credits by the American Montessori Society. Even if you do not have an AMS Credential, this means the certificate will have the American Montessori Society logo, which will help if you are searching for jobs in Montessori schools.

What kinds of methods are Montessori schools using for foreign/second language?

In the US, we’ve seen quite a few partner with TPRS/CI teachers because the basic philosophy is fairly congruent. How does Montessori address the fact that language is totally separate from any academic field (it’s acquisition, not knowledge)? I’m not too familiar with the specific Montessori practices though I collaborate frequently with a friend who taught in that environment and whose kid goes to Montessori school here in the States. Do they just provide ‘materials’ and the kids are supposed to teach themselves? How does it work?

[quote=“ironlady”]What kinds of methods are Montessori schools using for foreign/second language?

In the US, we’ve seen quite a few partner with TPRS/CI teachers because the basic philosophy is fairly congruent. How does Montessori address the fact that language is totally separate from any academic field (it’s acquisition, not knowledge)? I’m not too familiar with the specific Montessori practices though I collaborate frequently with a friend who taught in that environment and whose kid goes to Montessori school here in the States. Do they just provide ‘materials’ and the kids are supposed to teach themselves? How does it work?[/quote]

There is a lot in these questions. I hope I give a good complete answer and do not miss anything. :slight_smile:

Let me begin by explaining how most Montessori schools in Taiwan tend to handle their English program. It is not how I do it, nor recommend. Most will buy books and other “normal” materials, then pull the children out of their time in the classroom to have English classes. This will either be done in the classroom or in another classroom, but it usually interrupts the long work cycle children should get in a Montessori classroom (which should be about 2.5 to 3 hours).

For me, I work with the children in the Montessori classroom. My method and philosophy is largely based off Krashen and CI methods. Namely:
–a child better acquires a language when the input given to the child is at their level or slightly higher than their level.
–language is developed and acquired in a natural order. So we have to be careful to always model proper language, but not get caught up in whether a child learns a certain grammatical structure yet
–children who are already engaged in a material they chose to do often naturally have a lower affective filter. What I have to do as a teacher is see if I can work with the child on that material and bring the language I want to help the child with into that time. This means the two points above about the comprehensible input and development of language must be understood well so I am not confusing the child.

There are many activities children can do alone. Examples include a song activity, where I made cutouts of different songs we know. One of those has five monkeys, a tree, and an aligator. The child can sing “5 Little Monkeys Swinging in a Tree” and act out the song with the pieces to help connect the words of the song (which may have been learned rotely) to actual meaning. Another example of an independent work are command cards. These cards have commands written on them that the child can do once they read them. For early readers, it might be something like “jump,” while a more advanced reader has something like, “Put a flower on a table” or “stand next to Teacher Matt.”

For other materials, the child will work with them, and I can come in towards the end to check for comprehension. Example: we have puzzles that show off different parts of animals. A child might do the turtle puzzle and, if he can do it well on his own, I will come over when he is done and introduce the different body parts (head, tail, she’ll, etc.) If he is really comfortable with that, I can get into more details: carapace and plastron (the two parts of the shell).

The hard part from the Montessori side is, as a language teacher in the classroom, I do have to interrupt them more than I like. The goal in Montessori is for the children to be so independent, the teacher hardly needs to interact with them and acts more as an observer. But if they do not interact with me, they will not acquire as much language.

I wish I knew more about TPRS specifically. Most of my discussion about what ideas work in this setting will largely be centered around Krashen’s input hypothesis.

Side note: feel free to ask if I was unclear on anything. I wrote this on my phone and I am not as great at being clear on here as I am on a computer.

Iron Lady, I would love to hear any ideas you have or experienced from others. I usually get a lot of questions about this subject, but there is very little written about it for me to work from. Most things I find are general descriptions about what Montessori is, which doesn’t help me much.

I’m just not too clear on how providing mostly written materials for the children to work with fits with Krashen’s ideas about language acquisition. Yes, we acquire by matching meaning to form, but the form is generally aural, not visual, first. Visual representations of language are literacy.

I teach using CI as well, but I can’t imagine providing it as a solo activity unless it was absolutely unavoidable.

[quote=“ironlady”]I’m just not too clear on how providing mostly written materials for the children to work with fits with Krashen’s ideas about language acquisition. Yes, we acquire by matching meaning to form, but the form is generally aural, not visual, first. Visual representations of language are literacy.

I teach using CI as well, but I can’t imagine providing it as a solo activity unless it was absolutely unavoidable.[/quote]

This is an example of why I should NOT type detailed answers like this on my phone. I’m not as able to think as well and be as clear as I type. When I first read your question, I was confused by it. As I read my response to your original question, I see where the confusion comes in. It was my poor explanation. So let me sort of start over and clarify here. The examples of materials to be done by the students themselves and the CI model are different ideas, but it seems like the same idea from the post I typed.

When a student comes into the 3-6 classroom in Taiwan, few of them have been exposed to English on any significant level. What they need at this point are two things:

1. To be able to feel comfortable. This means they must feel comfortable both with the classroom environment and with me.
  2. A LOT of input. The input I provide them must be carefully selected so they have a chance to understand what I am saying.

I do not require the child to use any type of language at all. The children will eventually do this on their own, but for now, they need for me to provide the language for them and for it to be at a reasonable level for them to understand once they are ready.

The opportunity to provide this language mostly arises as they work with the materials. It is then that I have a chance to introduce language to him or her. In the beginning, I usually focus on words or phrases that will be used throughout the classroom no matter what material the child is doing: “Please give me the ____,” “Push in your chair,” “Roll up your rug.” I also always make sure to greet the child, “Hello, Mia,” then thank her at the end.

Once a child understands the language I am using, I introduce more. This is much easier to do once the child is actively listening to me.

This next part is not CI or Krashen. For writing and reading, the Montessori perspective suits me much better. For that, we focus on:

–Building up a child’s listening and speaking ability. This must happen before the traditional language materials are even introduced.
–Preparing the hand to write with exercises that strengthen the hand muscles.
–Helping a child develop more natural left to right motion by appealing to their sensitive period for order.
–Helping a child notice the difference and similarities of things.
–Helping the child hear patterns in language.
–Identifying individual sounds in words, particularly the beginning sound. (Think of the game, “I spy.”)

All of those things are preparation for writing. It is only after a child has a decent level of listening and speaking that I even begin to introduce the actual letters and matching them with the sounds they make. This will usually take more time to get to this stage than in a Montessori classroom in an English speaking country because children in America, for example, will generally come into the classroom with a certain level of spoken English.

We introduce the letters and corresponding sounds with a material called the sandpaper letters. These are smooth wooden boards of varying sizes. Tall letters are on taller boards, small letters are on smaller boards, and “m” and “w” are on longer boards. The vowels and consonants are different colors, most commonly pink for consonants and blue for vowels. The letters can be traced with the fingers so you get a sensation of how the letter feels. The child already understands that words are made up of sounds from the “I spy” game and similar activities. Now we are presenting the visual representation.

Once a child knows enough sounds, we can introduce the movable alphabet. This is box of cut out letters, color coded the same as the sandpaper letters. The child can take a word and “write” it with the movable alphabet. The first lesson involves a lot more help from the teacher, but they are soon able to do this on their own. Eventually, the child realizes that they wrote a word, but others can read it. Then they are ready to begin to learn to read.

I have to run now. My boss is closing up the office. I will try to type more later tonight if I can. If not, I will check back again tomorrow.

I get that you teach literacy using Montessori methods. I guess I’m wondering about the actual means of getting them to understand English in the first place, so that the known speech can be matched to the new writing.

My observation is that expanding the TPR (that’s what you’re doing, essentially, giving commands) to involve substitutions will give the brain more opportunity to acquire by noticing patterns. Acquisition of spoken language is by patterns, but it’s not by conscious application or “seeing” of patterns – it’s unconscious. But giving the child lots of repetitions of “roll up your rug” and “pick up your rug” and “sit on your rug” (very quick example only) obviously will be stronger than a single command with no overlap to other commands given.

I think I do that intuitively, but I think you saying that opened up a lot of clarity to help others.

If someone wants to do a rug work, I will likely say:
“Go get a rug.”
“Take this to your rug.”
“Put the work here on the rug.”
“Sit over here, next to the rug.”
“Put your work away.”
“Roll up your rug.”

If the child chooses something that goes to a table, I will have similar patterns:
“Which table do you want to sit at?”
“Take this to the table.”
“Put the tray here.”
“Sit in your chair.”
“Push in your chair.”
“Put your work away.”

The Montessori work time consists of children constantly selecting a work, working with it, and putting it away so it is ready for the next child.

Books I select also have to have a repetitive pattern to them:
Goodnight, Moon
Caps for Sale
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?

Much of my oral language learning comes from books and songs, especially for beginners.

English as a Foreign Language in the Montessori Classroom Just general information for anyone interested. Not doing a workshop now, except for online stuff.

Hi @Puppet, who are you and can we be friends?

Sincerely,
Someone who is somewhat qualified to teach EFL Montessori but is bashing their brains out at a Montesomething “English bilingual” school somewhere in Taiwan.

We definitely can…and I have been through many “Monte-something” schools, so I get it. I just saw your private message from a while ago and replied to it. Apologies for the late reply.