Monthly attendance bonus for Foreign English teachers working at public school to get cut

Just found out that the monthly attendance bonus is getting cut for all teachers in Taiwan. The reason, I’m told, is that it was a mistake to get put in contracts in the first place. Heard this from two sources now.

Just fyi

2 Likes

That surely doesn’t change the fact that it was put in the contracts? :thinking:

12 Likes

Strange I’ve never gotten it to begin with and it’s not in my contract. I guess they figured they should scrape out giving free money for good attendance?

1 Like

It’d be better if they just paid you properly for doing your job.

Guy

7 Likes

I mean it won’t be there next year

I definitely agree with this one. I don’t know the rationale behind the MOE

What is surprising is I work less and have zero responsibility and earn more than a school teacher. I’m just a clown with a sticky ball.

2 Likes

Haven’t been informed about it yet but surely not a good news.

1 Like

I can’t make head nor tail of that question.

2 Likes

I’ve seen this a few times in Taiwan.

Lower than average wage but don’t worry because we give bonuses. When you add up the bonuses, the money is comparable.

After a short time, take away the bonuses.

Lobsters are warmed up so many just shrug, but if the money was that low before, they wouldn’t have taken the job.

6 Likes

The whole bonus / tip etc systems are a scam, thats for sure. Proper wage AND proper work outputs are ideal for all 3 parties. If companies are worried, dont make firing too restricive based on work completion. dont mkae it so loose for ther reasons either. A good employee is worth his/her weight in gold! A bad employee can bankrupt a small operation.

Curious. Is this attendance bonus for the teachers (a bonus for being normal level of responsible) or their students (draws in more customers)?

1 Like

It’s for showing up on time. It’s basically just a higher salary, I don’t know why they bothered calling it a bonus maybe so they could take it away sometimes? All you have to do to keep it is come to work on time and you even can be late like 3 times.

But if you take sick leave you also lose it. Which I thought was strange, like incentivizing teachers to come to work sick.

3 Likes

Well, the way to punish your employer for doing this is to start calling in sick.

When in Rome…

When is a contract not a contract? Or perhaps I should say ‘where’?

2 Likes

Direct quote from my former Taiwanese boss as he said it with a smile.

‘That was then, this is now’

Always try to get a strong core salary in the contract.

I had another taiwanese boss who cut all our home internet subsidies one year just to look like
he was doing something for the company. We never got them back. Prick.

1 Like

Too bad you only get like 4 a semester

Edit: sorry it’s 3 I double checked

If it’s any consolation I basically get no sick leave. If I’m sick I just have to organise make-up classes before the end of the semester.

2 Likes

Do they sign annual contracts?

Maybe this is dumb idea during a pandemic.

Just a thought.

Guy

5 Likes

That’s what I thought too. But that’s Moe policy for you

1 Like