Montreal school shooting

[quote=“CBC: Woman, gunman dead in Montreal school rampage”]One person has died after a shooting rampage at a Montreal college Wednesday, which also left the gunman dead and 19 injured.

Paramedics confirmed 20 people were taken to hospital with injuries ranging from gunshot wounds to emotional shock following the shooting at Dawson College.

Police Chief Yvan Delorme told RDI television that a woman in her 20s had died.
[…]
The lone gunman was shot dead by police minutes after he opened fire on the student body at Dawson College, a CEGEP serving about 10,000 students near the Old Forum in Montreal.
[…]
Police said the motive for the shootings is unknown.

“There is no racist connotation or no terrorist link as far as we know,” Delorme said.[/quote] :snivel:

Toronto Star video link

That was my initial reaction upon reading the story in this morning’s news. The guy pulled a rifle out from beneath a black trench coat. Sounds like another Columbine-style outcast wacko.

In the video, one girl says the guy walked in wearing a trenchcoat, black boots, sporting some kind of weird haircut, and carrying a machine gun. I guess that fits ‘Columbine-style outcast wacko’.

Thank god he wasn’t as successful as Marc Lepine.

Shit.

You mean like Columbine? That was in Colorado, dude.

Where’s Taber?

woops

[quote=“Bubba 2 Guns”]

You can’t buy this in the states but you sure as hell can in Canada.

Respectfully, my condolences to the slain and their families.[/quote]

Terrible business, but [quote]“There is no racist connotation or no terrorist link as far as we know,” Delorme said.[/quote] what a very Canadian thing to say. So the speaker felt thus obliged to rule out race from the outset?

Odd.

HG

There’s been trouble in Montreal with anti-Semetic attacks, and racism also has an ugly history (some of it recent) in La Belle Province.

Dawson College stands next door to a large synagogue, across the street from a complex with a sizable Arab Muslim population, and just a few blocks from Concordia University, which has been a flash point of Muslim/ Jewish tension for a few years.

It’s not surprising that the question would be asked, or the statement made, imho.
I’d not hold my breath on “as far as we know” holding up, though.

Oh yeah, M. Check the link again:

CBC: The National: RealPlayer link report is now available.

It is another dark day for youth. Everywhere.

Tragedies such as these, involving youth, are so senseless. Taber is the most infamous in Canada. The Marc Lepine shootings, while at a college, were perpetrated by a 25 year old man, albeit, a most cowardly one.

When kids take up arms and attack each other, one must look to the parents when assigning blame. A parent must be so far out of the loop to miss the signs of such an impending disaster.

It’s not political. It’s not geographical. It’s not cultural, although the discipline inherent in Asian youth seems to nullify this particular kink in the aberrancy of such behaviour. I would also suggest that the proximity to America with its open market for weaponry, its violence-glorifying media and its quarterback2nerd caste system of bullying, makes Canadian youth more likely to so disengage than its European/Oceanic counterparts. So it may be partially cultural.

But it is still by and large an issue of childcare. If the caregiver isn’t up to the task, the community should take steps to intervene. That’s al I want to hear from politicians too. Get proactive. Get in the schools with outreach programs and stiff penalties for bullying. Nothing in this world more sensless than wasted innocence.

Spend money on youth instead of bombs, Mr Government Man.

As it is a behaviour that only a close relative could discern, a neglectful parent is all it takes to breed such a destructive force. And the scary part is, no one else will see it coming. It is a terrible thing. One that is only truly avoidable, imo, by banning all guns. A kid with a knife is easily tackled and disarmed. But there are few heroes with guns pointed at them.

As fate would have it, I have less than 3 degrees of separation from both Taber and Le Polytechnique. I dedicated my last couple of years in Canada to help spread a warning of this sort of time bomb hiding in the schools. You’d be surprised at the number of kids whom are so pressured that they become clinically depressed, and desperately suicidal. Almost every school has a percentage of kids who are close to the edge.

It’s a fine fine line these kids walk. As a society, we can only strive in insure better parenting. Mete out punishment for the parents of this shooter. And all parents of teen spree-killers.

She actually used the phrase “machine gun”? Link to video please?

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Terrible business, but [quote]“There is no racist connotation or no terrorist link as far as we know,” Delorme said.[/quote] what a very Canadian thing to say. So the speaker felt thus obliged to rule out race from the outset?

Odd. [/quote]

Mustn’t offend anyone.

The suicide rate in Quebec is among the highest worldwide. Family dramas where the father kills the mother and children and then commits suicide are weekly occurences. It’s actually surprising that shootings like this aren’t more common, IMO.

Hard to tell what’s going on in someones head to end up killing your wife and kids or when going on a rampage like this. It’s messed up. :idunno:

The link is at the bottom of my first post.
‘She’ is the distraught blond, 1/3 into the clip.

Rough transcription:
“…and then there was a guy walking, with a huge black trench coat, and huge black boots, with this retarded haircut, k? And he had a huge machine gun. Walking down in broad daylight, no one says anything to him. And then he started shooting at Alexis Nihon [shopping/ apartment complex across the street from the rear (main) entrance to Dawson]. It was a machine gun, and he shot the people right next to us…”

The link is at the bottom of my first post.
‘She’ is the distraught blond, 1/3 into the clip.

Rough transcription:
“…and then there was a guy walking, with a huge black trench coat, and huge black boots, with this retarded haircut, k? And he had a huge machine gun. Walking down in broad daylight, no one says anything to him. And then he started shooting at Alexis Nihon [shopping/ apartment complex across the street from the rear (main) entrance to Dawson]. It was a machine gun, and he shot the people right next to us…”[/quote]

Well…I wonder what kind of machine gun he had…an M-60, an M-2 or an M-1919A1? He must have been built like Rambo (a Canadian creation) to lug around a machine gun and ammo while firing on students and police.

Somehow, I have doubts. Sounds more like hysteria. I imagine he simply had a black semi-automatic rifle.

OK…he might have had an M-249 (which is a light machine gun) but still it weighs about 17 pounds with only one magazine.

[quote=“Bubba 2 Guns”]

You can’t buy this in the states but you sure as hell can in Canada.[/quote]

That’s not a machine gun…is that even a selective fire weapon? Selective fire weapons are illegal in Canada.

cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/rc4 … 227-e.html

Edit:

As I thought, it’s a semi-auto.

[quote=“Doctor Evil”]Well…I wonder what kind of machine gun he had…an M-60, an M-2 or an M-1919A1? He must have been built like Rambo (a Canadian creation) to lug around a machine gun and ammo while firing on students and police.

Somehow, I have doubts. Sounds more like hysteria. I imagine he simply had a black semi-automatic rifle.[/quote]
I imagine you’re right: part hysteria, part ignorance. Another student described it as a semi-automatic. I wouldn’t have a clue, guns aren’t my thing.

I think among the general population anything that’s not a pistol, shotgun or musket is a “machne gun.”

HG