Morality, Literally Split from Not Literally

Allow me to weigh in with an opinion for your consideration.

Morality is indeed a human projection onto an uncaring universe–however, it serves an important evolutionary function.

We have within us the capability for both “good” (caring, compassionate) and “evil” (the opposite) behavior. Sometimes “good” behavior is more likely to help us pass on our genes (for example, by nurturing offspring). Sometimes conditions are more extreme, and then it is often the “evil” ones–or those who do whatever they have to do–who survive to have babies just like them. Often genetic success is a matter of calculation and balance.

Most of us prefer to live in environments where “good” prevails, because this tends to be in our best interest, genetically speaking. We may however “cheat” and do “evil” things, while pretending to be “good.” This tendency, however, is mitigated by our knowledge that just as we constantly analyze the behavior of others, so do they.

We evolved as tribal beings, similar in many ways to the great apes, and so our natural sense of morality presupposes in-groups and out-groups at the tribal scale. Sharing and compassion become practical at this scale (say, less than a hundred individuals) because “cheating” is easier to monitor, and anyway most people in the group will probably be related. Those outside the group are dangerous (though they may bring opportunities, such as mating), and “in-group” ethics simply do not apply to them–only rather more mercenary considerations.

Civilization confuses us because its laws attempt to universalize across vast empires, ethical behavior that really only works for tribal groups. Those who prosper most under the new circumstances are those who are especially clever and duplicitious, who can be ruthless even while appearing to be highly moral.

Allow me to weigh in as well. Wiki is not a really good source on ancient jewish slavery, and the old testament is even more useless. Hezser’s Jewish Slavery in Antiquity is available through GoogleBooks.

books.google.com/books?hl=en&id= … lt#PPA9,M1

I suggest you start any discussion of what morality was in antiquity by finding out exactly what it was.

Michael