More Blue Hypocrisy

Wow, two in one day. Here we go.

1. Ma’s administration has now gone to weekly price adjustments of gasoline prices using a system remarkably similar to that used by President Chen that was condemned by the KMT a year ago. This after freezing prices today when they should have gone up about NT$0.6 (or so) if they had followed the formula that they said that would be held after the May price change debacle. Now, this month, they are using government subsidies and forcing CPC Corp, Taiwan to take losses that they criticized the Chen administration for forcing on the company.

2. The name Taiwan Post is being changed back again to Chunghwa Post. It seems to me that the primary KMT argument against the name change originally was the cost of the change. However, it seems perfectly ok to spend money (during an economic downturn no less) to change the name to what they desire it to be.

Oh, the hypocrisy of the current administration and the Legislative Yuan becomes increasingly evident every week.

lu, don’t get hung up on every little act of subterfuge, distortion, hypocricy or incompetence. There’s lots to go around and most of what you are complaining about is small potatoes. While I support your contention that the blues are the rancid drippings of used condom I also find your harping petty.

Save it up for a rainy day and then let the deluge fall.

[quote=“Muzha Man”]lu, don’t get hung up on every little act of subterfuge, distortion, hypocricy or incompetence. There’s lots to go around and most of what you are complaining about is small potatoes. While I support your contention that the blues are the rancid drippings of used condom I also find your harping petty.

Save it up for a rainy day and then let the deluge fall.[/quote]

I disagree. We need to point out the rank hypocrisy of the KMT. Sometimes, showing a consistent pattern of hypocrisy is far more relevant and less susceptible to the accusation of mere anecdotal evidence than an occasional “big” instance of hypocrisy.

I don’t think these things are petty. Rather, this growing flood of “little things” indeed displays the pattern of hypocrisy that will be needed to convince those in the middle of the road that the KMT is not the party that needs to govern this island-country in the future.

Only by pointing out all these KMT idiosyncracies over the next 4 years will you be able to win over all those swing voters in the next presidential election…:laughing:

What next? MYJ makes a public in address in Cantonese, so only 0.01% of all WSR in Taiwan will understand him?

[quote=“ludahai”][quote=“Muzha Man”]lu, don’t get hung up on every little act of subterfuge, distortion, hypocricy or incompetence. There’s lots to go around and most of what you are complaining about is small potatoes. While I support your contention that the blues are the rancid drippings of used condom I also find your harping petty.

I disagree. We need to point out the rank hypocrisy of the KMT. Sometimes, showing a consistent pattern of hypocrisy is far more relevant and less susceptible to the accusation of mere anecdotal evidence than an occasional “big” instance of hypocrisy.[/quote]

Actually it’s not because big hypocrisy is not terribly relevant either. Look at your first complaint this way: at the risk of embarassing themselves the current admin brought back a policy of the defeated Chen admin. If this is the best policy then why shouldn’t they bring it back? Would you rather they stick to their original policy even if it is the wrong one?

People promise things in politics but in the end it is the government that does what is needed when it is needed, no matter who first thought of the idea, that wins elections and the respect of voters.

As for changing the name of the post office, that pisses me off, but well, this is something they said they would do so no surprise there.

[quote=“ludahai”][quote=“Muzha Man”]lu, don’t get hung up on every little act of subterfuge, distortion, hypocricy or incompetence. There’s lots to go around and most of what you are complaining about is small potatoes. While I support your contention that the blues are the rancid drippings of used condom I also find your harping petty.

I disagree. We need to point out the rank hypocrisy of the KMT. Sometimes, showing a consistent pattern of hypocrisy is far more relevant and less susceptible to the accusation of mere anecdotal evidence than an occasional “big” instance of hypocrisy.

I don’t think these things are petty. Rather, this growing flood of “little things” indeed displays the pattern of hypocrisy that will be needed to convince those in the middle of the road that the KMT is not the party that needs to govern this island-country in the future.[/quote]

Lu, don’t forget that when you point your finger at someone you got 3 more pointing back at you.
As if your DPP is much better. Give it a rest man.

The name of the post office should not have been changed in the first place. The KMT is just undoing the mistakes made by the DPP.

Not a mistake. You may disagree with the change but how can it possibily be considered a mistake? Did they mispell something, did they do something they did not intend to do? No, hence no mistake, just a change you didn’t like and so -believing your values are universally held - call it a mistake. Tsk tskl.

The post office should have changed and still should be changed as part of the continuing modernization and localization of Taiwan. Changing the name back to a postal system that was used during the republican era in China just argues that the KMT still do not consider this place home and are just biding their time. Otherwise why not call a post office by the universally used name of the citizens of a place that it actually serves: you know like Canada Post, Australia Post, etc. Even China Post is China Post and not The People’s Republic of China Post. Its Zhongguo Youzheng and not Zhonghua Youzheng.

Using Zhonghua for Taiwan Post just reinforces the notion that the KMT are an alien regime who one day hope to get the hell off a beautiful island they did their best to uglify and pollute beyond belief and return to the motherland that their investment has helped to uglify and pollute beyond belief.

When did 華 become alien in a Chinese society?
Especially when the country is called Zhonghua Minguo…

Anyways many of the name changes the DPP made are slated for change. That’s what people want, thus putting the KMT back in office.

KMT is always cleaning up after the DPP mess.

As long as the mail arrives at the right destination and as promptly as possible, does it really matter what the name is?

[quote=“ac_dropout”]When did 華 become alien in a Chinese society?
Especially when the country is called Zhonghua Minguo…

Anyways many of the name changes the DPP made are slated for change. That’s what people want, thus putting the KMT back in office.

KMT is always cleaning up after the DPP mess.[/quote]

Is China called Zhongguo officially? No, and the post office goes by the common name. It would make sense for Taiwan Post to do the same. I have never heard anyone say they come from Zhongguo Minguo. They come from Taiwan.

Anyway, I’m sure we’ll be seeing lots of improvements over the coming years. Renaming Namasiya and other aboriginal villages to atrocities like Sanmin would be a good start. Reducing funding for Taiwan centred museums, and cultural activities is also promising. Hell, it only took the KMT two months to underfund the Youth Council and it’s long term goals to build up Taiwan’s tourism industry by exposing Asian and western youth to Taiwan’s unique attractions and culture.

It took a little longer to destroy the hugely popular Children’s Festival in Ilan but they managed that. Just like horsey and his team managed to destroy not just one but two night markets in Taiwan. The KMT have the common touch that’s for sure.

Personally I’d like to go back to the good old days where the Matsu Pilgrimage was suppressed, also. Who needs another world class tourist attraction? The KMT have given us Chiang Kai Shek Memorial Hall. :laughing:

So how does this argument work for HK and Macau? Are they independent countries of China?

When I’m in Taiwan, no one ever tells me that they are from Taiwan, they all respond with their father’s hometown. So the postal system should have a nomenclature of the hometowns of their fathers?

Wait until the DPP come back into power again. They can spend time renaming things again. It’s the only thing they are good at I hear.

Night markets are a breeding ground for communicable diseases. Not to mention shady business practices. Hepatitis B and lack of receipts everywhere.

As for the post office issue, it plays well to the PRC persception that Taiwan is less confrontational these day. I guess the DPP should be thanked for giving the KMT such an easy lay-up to win points with the PRC.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]When I’m in Taiwan, no one ever tells me that they are from Taiwan, they all respond with their father’s hometown. So the postal system should have a nomenclature of the hometowns of their fathers?
[/quote]

Lame. Outside Taiwan, people answer “Where are you from?” with Taiwan, not the ROC or their father’s hometown. :unamused:

Stop listening to the voices inside your head.

Many many Taiwanese and even some foreigners have gotten wealthy from night market businesses. The more I read your posts, the more I wonder what you have against small scale business and individual initiative.

Indeed, and we are being so handsomely rewarded for bending over.:laughing:

Double post. Let go the ghost.

[quote=“Muzha Man”]
Not a mistake. You may disagree with the change but how can it possibily be considered a mistake? Did they mispell something, did they do something they did not intend to do? No, hence no mistake, just a change you didn’t like and so -believing your values are universally held - call it a mistake. Tsk tskl.

The post office should have changed and still should be changed as part of the continuing modernization and localization of Taiwan. Changing the name back to a postal system that was used during the republican era in China just argues that the KMT still do not consider this place home and are just biding their time. Otherwise why not call a post office by the universally used name of the citizens of a place that it actually serves: you know like Canada Post, Australia Post, etc. Even China Post is China Post and not The People’s Republic of China Post. Its Zhongguo Youzheng and not Zhonghua Youzheng.

Using Zhonghua for Taiwan Post just reinforces the notion that the KMT are an alien regime who one day hope to get the hell off a beautiful island they did their best to uglify and pollute beyond belief and return to the motherland that their investment has helped to uglify and pollute beyond belief.[/quote]

Well, okay. Maybe unlike the CKS memorial, this name change wasn’t illegal, still, it was an unpopular change and part of the DPP’s campaign of desinification. The thing is, if you make a politically motivated name change that doesn’t have the support of the people, than you can’t really complain if it gets changed back.

No, can’t complain that much but some kind of comprimise in the spirit of localization, which is not the same as de-sinification, would have been appreciated. Talking with a blue friend tonight and we thought Formosa Post would have been a good comprimise.

BTW, why are you still refering to the CKS change as illegal? Feiren showed very clearly why you were wrong to consider it such and you were not able to counter his arguments. Give it up.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]
So how does this argument work for HK and Macau? Are they independent countries of China?

When I’m in Taiwan, no one ever tells me that they are from Taiwan, they all respond with their father’s hometown. So the postal system should have a nomenclature of the hometowns of their fathers?

Wait until the DPP come back into power again. They can spend time renaming things again. It’s the only thing they are good at I hear.

Night markets are a breeding ground for communicable diseases. Not to mention shady business practices. Hepatitis B and lack of receipts everywhere.

As for the post office issue, it plays well to the PRC persception that Taiwan is less confrontational these day. I guess the DPP should be thanked for giving the KMT such an easy lay-up to win points with the PRC.[/quote]

Cocaine, cocaine, running around your brain …

not cocaine
Crack is more suitable for AC :wink:

I still answer Free China in English.

In the overseas Chinese community, everyone answers with the province or city that they are from. I don’t see people going out of their way to use official nomenclatures of the State they are from either.

Unless you think Taiwan is still a Dutch colony, I don’t see the point. Ducth never tried to intergrate the Chinese to their society.

Taiwan is a distinct Chinese society. Zhonghwa, by itself denotes that something is a Chinese. Why bother with something Dutch, when no one speaks Middle Dutch or Modern Dutch in Taiwan on any significant scale?

That would be as silly as naming something in Classical Ming nomenclature in Taiwan.

I have no problem with nightmarket vendors that hand out receipts and take the proper precaution to prevent the spread of communitable diseases.

Dear
AC no-one under the age of 60 will get the name “Free China” or “Formosa China”.

Most will thing China, IE PR China.

Unless you want to be seen as an illegal immigrant fen-fen, Taiwan is the operative word.