More correct

Well said! :bravo:

I was only kidding about “ain’t” and the slippery slope, 'Toine. Don’t be mad. :wink:

I think I use “better answer” when it’s a matter of something being more correct than saying “there’s a more correct answer than this”. I suppose if you are using it as a complement like “He is more politically correct than his father” it works. As an adjective preceding noun, however, it sounds incorrect.

There’s definitely an absolute correct/incorrect.

2+2=5 is no more correct than 2+2=999. Here it is either correct or incorrect. None of this gradient thing.

But when it comes to language, the term “correct” has the sense of both being grammatical and also being accepted or proper. It’s that element of acceptance which I feel creates gradability.

There’s definitely an absolute correct/incorrect.

2+2=5 is no more correct than 2+2=999. Here it is either correct or incorrect. None of this gradient thing.

But when it comes to language, the term “correct” has the sense of both being grammatical and also being accepted or proper. It’s that element of acceptance which I feel creates gradability.[/quote]

“An even better answer” is a euphemism for “You’re wrong.” Usually reserved for when there’s a particular point to make, but no particular wording or exact answer, like in reading comprehension.

The whole sentence you might hear from my classroom is, “You’re pretty close, but there’s an even better answer.”

That is, unless it’s an answer that’s wa-ay out there and then usually a one-brow raise and “Are you sure?” does the job. :ohreally: