More depressing numbers on retirement in Taiwan

Those are often public sector workers, including elementary school teachers. Before the Tsai government’s controversial pension reform in her first term, the income replacement for these folks was in many instances ABOVE what they were earning in salary. :neutral_face:

Guy

3 Likes

Old people should have more options and easier pathway to join the workforce. Especially the ones who really wanna work and are hardworking and really need a job. Since they are often scared of losing jobs, older people work harder than young people and bring their life experience in the job too. Not all ofcourse, some are real jerks also.

3 Likes

Korea’s old-age employment rate is very high.

Most likely because senior poverty rate is very high in Korea so they have no other choice but to work. They are not working at Samsung though.

Taiwan is very different from Korea, Japan and Singapore in that old people aren’t working because they usually don’t need to. The country (well, not really) most similar to Taiwan in this regard is Hong Kong.

4 Likes

what they have now is also not enough… no tax benefits, no way to invest on your own, poor employer matching…
the pension system here is not good.

Which is why most people rely on own savings, investments, and private insurance.

1 Like

Which is why most people who don’t work don’t need to work.

which is why most people will reach old age broke.
too much “stock playing” and not investing, high fees in insurance schemes and till recently low yields in savings…

In developed countries this doesn’t seem to be happening. Perhaps in parts of the USA.

All my coworkers in office always have the daily stock price open on their phone like literally always. stock playing is immensily popular here especially among the youth

So basically . . . not doing their jobs. :neutral_face:

Guy

1 Like

I bet they’re a bit miserable the last week or so.

1 Like

Thats local company atmosphere

1 Like

Ready? Those rooms are for…pumping. They then bottle feed the little bastard when they get home

Some things never change. If you work for a local pre stockmarket listed company it can even be worse.

yeah but if your baby is three when you go back to work, you’re not pumping. Your baby is eating solid foods by then.

My sister breast fed her twin boys until they were six. It was so embarrassing

2 Likes

Very few women in Taiwan breastfeed their kids.

Very interesting. I’ve been hearing anecdotally that you’re forced to quit after 55. Now that I think of it, I’ve also been hearing so and so opened a restaurant, coffee shop, etc. after retiring. I now longer live in Korea so I really don’t care, tbh, but it’s interesting to see those numbers.

Broadly It’s the same in Taiwan unless you work as a civil servant. Except Taiwanese seem to be richer or have more family support and its cheaper to live here.

Korea was completely broke in the 1997 financial crisis. Old people now lost everything then so they have no money. Taiwan was not affected in the 1997 crisis.

2 Likes