More mudslinging on campaign trail

Regarding the recently issued ‘feichang guangpan’. Anyone get a glimpse at the goods?

china.scmp.com/chimain/ZZZN8LP58GE.html

More mudslinging on campaign trail
Taiwan opposition candidate says corruption claim is a smear tactic

LAWRENCE CHUNG in Taipei

Prev. Story
Negative campaigning for next month’s local government elections in Taiwan went a step further yesterday with a VCD producer showing reporters a film that accuses a popular opposition candidate of corruption.

Backed by vows from Taiwanese leaders to defend freedom of speech, VCD producer Lin Yi-fang yesterday screened his film, The Ugliness Under the Cover of Beauty, which accuses Taoyuan county magistrate Chu Li-lun and his family of corruption and abuse of power.

Mr Chu is running for re-election as a candidate for the main opposition Kuomintang.

The film portrays him as having profited from the business of his father and uncle, who earned their fortunes through illegal gravelling that has created an environmental disaster on the banks of the Tashi River in Taoyuan, northern Taiwan.

Mr Chu has described the film, which also features allegations of influence peddling and exploitation, as a smear tactic.

He sued Mr Lin for libel and violation of the election law after Mr Lin declared his intention to release the film last week.

Mr Lin defended the release yesterday, saying he was merely presenting facts that residents of Taoyuan should be told about.

“I am not afraid of being suppressed by police and prosecutors, because the claims in the VCD are backed by facts and evidence,” said Mr Lin, who counter-sued Mr Chu for libel yesterday.

He has already sued Taoyuan police and prosecutors for confiscating hundreds of copies of the VCD.

Both President Chen Shui-bian and his deputy, Annette Lu Hsiu-lien, have openly criticised Mr Chu for curtailing freedom of speech by using his influence to force police and prosecutors to confiscate the VCD.

But analysts said that while freedom of speech should be protected, the timing and the purpose of such speech had to be considered.

“If it is aimed at smearing a candidate ahead of the election, under the election law here, the candidate can always protect his or her interests by resorting to legal actions to restrain such speech before any actual harm has been done,” said Soochow University political scientist Emile Sheng Chih-jen.

Most analysts agree that Taiwan’s election campaigns have degenerated into mudslinging wars. Mr Chen took office in 2000.

Last week Taipei Mayor Ma Ying-jeou was portrayed as homosexual in a DVD to be released by the rival pan-green ruling camp before next month’s local elections.

The disc alleges Mr Ma’s “homosexual lover” was Taichung Mayor Jason Hu Chih-chiang. Mr Ma, who heads the main opposition Kuomintang, said he and Mr Hu, who is running for a second term in Taichung, were being targeted in a smear campaign.

Ah its like New Jersey all over again. I suppose its better than physically throwing stuff, but don’t they realize that every time someone does personal mudslinging, that you are hurting the Taiwanese people and their votes?

Seriously, the credibility of government dips whenever this happens.

Why New Jersey?

Nastiness involving the personal lives during the recent NJ elections. Probably one of the worst in America.

[quote=“ShrimpCrackers”]Ah its like New Jersey all over again. I suppose its better than physically throwing stuff, but don’t they realize that every time someone does personal mudslinging, that you are hurting the Taiwanese people and their votes?

Seriously, the credibility of government dips whenever this happens.[/quote]

New Jersey is not Taiwan.

Taiwan is a nation, not a backwater American state. Comparing Taiwan to New Jersey is like getting shot by an illegal immigrant on election day.

I hope you realize this before making such unlike comparisons. :fume:

[quote=“BlueGreen”][quote=“ShrimpCrackers”]Ah its like New Jersey all over again. I suppose its better than physically throwing stuff, but don’t they realize that every time someone does personal mudslinging, that you are hurting the Taiwanese people and their votes?

New Jersey is not Taiwan.

Taiwan is a nation, not a backwater American state. Comparing Taiwan to New Jersey is like getting shot by an illegal immigrant on election day.

I hope you realize this before making such unlike comparisons. :fume:[/quote]
I notice you are very quick on attacking my messages given the slightest chance, many times without reading the entire message.

First you misinterpret my message in another thread that Nazi Germany and the USSR collapsed soon after hosting the Olympics to mean that I’m talking about all the host cities, when I specifically mentioned host-nations and repressive regimes.

Second, here I am comparing the ugly mudslinging taking place in Taiwan to the ugliest mudslinging in America, which took place in New Jersey, delving into the personal lives of each candidate. In Jersey they even went so far as to getting John Corzine’s ex-wife to attack an ad for Doug Forrester,(which protrays Doug as a responsible family guy). Its much worse seen than described. Plus prior to all this there was a whole fraud scandal and there was a bunch of mudslinging there as well.

All this while I live in New York City! Yes they blasted ads on our television sets as well. They were terrible, tasteless ads that would kinda annoy you and make you enjoy your food less.

Finally why did you choose illegal immigrants and getting shot as an example? Are you implying that illegal immigrants are also irrational criminals with guns? Plus what is the difference between being shot by an illegal immigrant and anyone else?

Also did you know that New Jersey is a leading industrial state with the largest seaport in America? It has the densest population of all the states, all counties being metropolitan. Its also one of the highest paying states for the high tech and financial fields, most of our oil is held in that state, outside the Middle-east. I don’t know why you can then call Jersey a “backwater state”.

Misquoting you:I hope you realize all this before you make more angry but misguided comments :fume:

Here are the top search results relevant on google for your enjoyment on the mudslinging in the NJ elections.

showmenews.com/2005/Nov/20051106News021.asp
prospect.org/web/page.ww?sec … leId=10622
nwherald.com/MainSection/oth … 261158.php
nj.com/newslogs/electionwatc … 05_11.html
conyersblog.us/archives/00000302.htm
articles.news.aol.com/news/artic … 2209990002
npr.org/templates/story/stor … Id=5005318
cbsnews.com/blogs/2005/11/18 … 8119.shtml
workingforchange.com/blog/in … EE018C795C
209.157.64.200/focus/f-news/1516316/posts

Degenerated into? Since when have they been anything else?

And the gall of the pan-blues in accusing the greens of being mud-slingers! Such jaw-dropping hypocrisy never fails to astound me, no matter how often it’s repeated (as it constantly, nauseatingly is).

But you’ve got to admire those brilliant pan-blue election tactics: Field candidates who are drenched in corruption, then scream and spit accusations of “mud-slinging” whenever evidence of their corruption is brought to light.

Surely there aren’t any Taiwanese voters stupid enough to swallow that … are there?

You don’t say!

I thought it was an offshore Chinese province.

What on Earth are you talking about?

What on Earth are you talking about?[/quote]
You know what he’s talking about. This guy has possibly the least apropos handle on Forumosa. :unamused:

Comparing Taiwan to New Jersey is no less apropos than accusing Mayor Ma Ying-jeou of being a flaming homosexual and not being Taiwanese.

But the funniest part is that no one has compared Taiwan as a nation to New Jersey.

However it seems the mudslinging is not much different in both places.

[quote=“ShrimpCrackers”]Ah its like New Jersey all over again. I suppose its better than physically throwing stuff, but don’t they realize that every time someone does personal mudslinging, that you are hurting the Taiwanese people and their votes?

Actually you did when you decided to compare Taiwanese politics with the politics of New Jersey :loco:

Except it’s one-way in Taiwan. Why is it that only the pan-greens release these low class “Very-CD’s”? It makes one think about the taste of its base. If they want to expose corruption, surely they can do it in a rational manner.

[quote=“zeugmite”][quote=“ShrimpCrackers”]Ah its like New Jersey all over again. I suppose its better than physically throwing stuff, but don’t they realize that every time someone does personal mudslinging, that you are hurting the Taiwanese people and their votes?

Except it’s one-way in Taiwan. Why is it that only the pan-greens release these low class “Very-CD’s”? It makes one think about the taste of its base. If they want to expose corruption, surely they can do it in a rational manner.[/quote]
I’m not very familiar with the Very-CD’s. Could you give me any examples or post any clips to provide reasons on how the arguments are irrational?

I think the article I linked at the very top already mentions some of this.

I still haven’t seen the video, but in what I’ve heard… In the most recent version of the CD, actors playing the role of random folks sit around as if they were every-day folks discussing politics… while throwing rumors around about corruption, Taizhong mayor Jason Hu’s homosexual affairs, and the Taoyuan KMT candidate’s affairs with women.

Oh, this is a nice touch. DPP just publicized Taizhong mayor Jason Hu’s private medical records, and claim that his chance of getting another stroke is 3x that of the average man. And just to complete the picture, they blame Ma for “forcing” Hu into running again.

In a transparent democracy, public servants do not have the right to privacy.

If the pan-Blue ever accuse CSB of being a sexual deviant because his wife is wheelchair bound, I hope that everyone will respect the democratic tradition of freedom of speech to allow that accusation to be made for political gain.

They’ve accused him of just about everything else the most twisted minds could ever imagine, including going off on secret whoring jaunts overseas. :unamused:

Why are politicians so perverted? :noway:

They’ve accused him of just about everything else the most twisted minds could ever imagine, including going off on secret whoring jaunts overseas. :unamused:[/quote]

I still consider myself a LTH supporter, although I have a deep dislike for the DPP and their anti-foreigner corruption. However, lets make no mistake here. Chen’s comments about Hu and possible strokes are bloody disgraceful!!! As someone who has had to take care of his wife, maligning the health of anyone is an absolute pathetic cheapshot!!

I would think sexual innuendo is slightly more acceptable. After all, Chen acted puritanical while being Mayor – he closed a lot of the sex shops etc. If he is acting like a puritan while banging Hsiao Bi-hkim then it is fair game.

Likewise, if Hu is preaching about family values and has adopted anti-gay positions in the past, then it is fair game. But just launching this type of attack is pandering to low-class peasants. Unfortunately, with the recent corruption at the Presidential Office, the mafia links exposed in South Korea, and with these cheap sex and health smear tactics, the DPP is showing its seamy side.