More "Proof" of Global Warming - Part II

Jaboney:

Might I suggest you try using your ignore button. Talk about sweet satisfaction.

Fred Smith V.

[quote=“bob”]fred smith wrote:

Coral bleaching, melting permafrost, retreating glaciers (inevitably leading to a upsets in river cycles and subsequently to floods and droughts) larger and more frequent El Nino phenomenon,[/quote]
Summers in Seattle are absolutely wonderful in El Nino years. It reduces the number of cloudy days. Lots of blue skies and perfect temperatures.

[quote=“MaPoSquid”][quote=“bob”]fred smith wrote:

Coral bleaching, melting permafrost, retreating glaciers (inevitably leading to a upsets in river cycles and subsequently to floods and droughts) larger and more frequent El Nino phenomenon,[/quote]
Summers in Seattle are absolutely wonderful in El Nino years. It reduces the number of cloudy days. Lots of blue skies and perfect temperatures.[/quote]

Ah well, against a back drop of lovely summers in Seatle I suppose the fact of cloral bleaching, retreating glaciers, increased size and frequency of hurricanes, droughts, floods etc. is nothing to be concerned about.

Nah Bob, with the unemployment levels in Seattle, few that once enjoyed those fine summers can continue to do so. Now they have to face the same awful nasties as the rest of us.

HG

Did fred smith say something?
I don’t know, see, I’ve got him on… :wink:

Nah, fred, it’s all good. bob’s post tickled me pink.
Besides, one of the costs of being a mod is that I’m not allowed to use “Ignore”.

[quote=“MaPoSquid”][quote=“bob”]fred smith wrote:

Summers in Seattle are absolutely wonderful in El Nino years. It reduces the number of cloudy days. Lots of blue skies and perfect temperatures.[/quote]

I don t think people of New Orleans would find this funny

Or ok, people of New Orleans, move and go to Seattle

Why would people in New Orleans care either way? Are you suggesting that global warming was responsible for the last hurricane? Better check your facts. Ain’t so. Similar trends were apparent in the 1930s so seems natural weather cycles are to blame not global warming. By the way, the earth was much colder back then and had not yet experienced the warming trends that we are seeing today.

OK, were you also denying the ozone hole ?

I m quite saddened that you are not even considering the possibility that we should begin to do something against global warming but from the other posts I ve read here, you were not doubting the possibility for Iraq of non having WMD.

I know it has nothing to do in here but don t say I m a leftist.
I m non political . I m not influenced by any policital party but just my own thinking; And so are the vast majority of people demonstrating for peace too.

No. But notice how the media has run off to cover other subjects. The problem is still there as far as I know but now no news?

Never said that. I said I disagree with Kyoto. I am all for continued advances in technology to solve what could be a problem, but to date, no one that I know has been able to definitively say that global warming is caused primarily by man and that any actions we will take will actually solve this problem. Kyoto is talking about six years in the next 100 under the BEST possible circumstances so where have I said anything of the sort. I just disagree with religiously following this because I saw the same idiots religiously following global cooling aka the New Ice Age as recently as the early 1980s. Got an answer for that?

I love this simplistic tropisms so beloved of the Chomsky brigade. We KNEW that Saddam was dangerous. We KNEW that Saddam was a mass murderer. We KNEW that Saddam could not be trusted. We KNEW that Saddam had wmd programs in the past. We therefore used our knowledge and past experience to view him as a threat and an actor that was not willing to cooperate. We therefore refused to trust him that he was not developing wmds. We demanded proof. He refused to supply it. So the situation is very different. Next?

[quote]I know it has nothing to do in here but don t say I m a leftist.
I m non political . I m not influenced by any policital party but just my own thinking;[/quote]

Bullshit. You believe in global warming and you think that man is mostly responsible and the can and must do something about it. You HAVE been influenced by a political party so don’t peddle that nonsense here. BUT why do you believe as you do? I am challenging that and I do not think you can answer. BUT I am willing to answer any questions that you might have and to post to links that may raise the same doubts in your mind that I have. What could it hurt to read up more about this?

AH. The other shoe drops. So are the others demonstrating for “peace.” Who are the groups that are organizing those “peace” demonstrations? Ever heard of ANSWER. The leadership of ANSWER believes that North Korea and Cuba offer better political, economic and social models than the evil capitalist US. What do you think? AND who is against peace? I am all for it. I just want the evil insurgents and terrorists to stop fighting this war. They should put down their arms. We are merely defending the 80 percent of Iraqis who were helpless and tortured and oppressed prior to this war at a time when no doubt your protestors were happy and satisfied with the “peace” that existed in Iraq? So you are suggesting the war exists now because of the US? And if the US pulled out of Iraq then there would be “peace” and that even more importantly it would be what the Iraqi people would “want?” So why is it that in two elections when given a chance to vote, 80 percent or more of Iraqis voted with what America is offering them and a direct rejection of the “peace” that existed as exemplified by Saddam? Hmmmm? Not influenced by any political party? Really? I think you had better be a bit more honest. You are on the left and if you do not know that, then I would have to question your knowledge or ability to discern important differences on any of the many variables we are discussing. Care to rephrase?

Weather phenomenon is so complicated that most likely nobody could say with 100% certainty whether those hurricanes would have been as big without global warming, or whether those particular hurricanes would have occured at all, but since hurricanes are caused by heat it is reasonable to assume that global warming was a contributing factor.

The fact that there was a hurricane of similar size sixty or seventy years ago “proves” absolutely nothing. You would need evidence of hurricanes occuring every sixty or seventy years or so at least three times or four times in a row to conclude that their was any “cycle”. Do you have any such evidence?

Well not going to debate in this thread anyway. This is about global warming. But one thing, I repeat I m not from anything, and if for you to express a different opinion from yours means to be from the left, then I feel very sorry for you.
:unamused:

Were you ever?

That is a start.

I disagree. Do you believe that man is primarily responsible for global warming? Do you think that action must be taken to reduce emissions at the expense of economic development? Do you support Kyoto?

No but if you agree with the above points, er those are the ones that the left is espousing. It is not for me to say who is what, but if you agree with those views then er um guess what? you are on the left.

[quote]
then I feel very sorry for you. [/quote]

No need. I seem to be quite capable of discussing this issue without your pity, but I wouldn’t mind having a bit more clarity from you. How about a trade? You can feel sorry for me when you learn to articulate just what it is that you stand for? :laughing:

sorry but unlike you I cannot spend the whole day at a PC.
And if you think I need to learn to articulate things, I think you should learn to think by yourselves and then articulate
:smiley: Ciao

Neither could your administration be trusted to be honest with it’s own people about it’s own inteligence regarding Saddam’s attempts to produce nuclear weapons. This will, of course, become increasingly clear the longer this Scooter episode plays out.

Weather phenomenon is so complicated that most likely nobody could say with 100% certainty whether those hurricanes would have been as big without global warming, or whether those particular hurricanes would have occured at all, but since hurricanes are caused by heat it is reasonable to assume that global warming was a contributing factor.[/quote]
Assuming that “global warming” even exists.

Well, personally, I’m relying on all of the news articles that came out around the time of the hurricanes which discussed the cycle and noted that we are in for 20-ish more years of more severe hurricanes.

I’m sure you can find this information if you bother to look in any of the Katrina threads, or google for weather cycles, or whatever. But instead you seem to be stuck on “the sky is falling! global warming is going to obliterate us all!” even though there are entirely reasonable arguments that it is simply part of the natural ebb and flow of climate change.

In point of fact, it might well also be that “global warming” is real – and is the only thing saving us from a significant ice age right now. Scientists are finding a very low neutrino flux from the Sun, much lower than their models predict, which may well indicate that “the coming ice age” that the envirowhackos were screaming about in the 1970’s is real, and that if we weren’t producing huge amounts of CO2, that we’d all be corpsicles embedded in glaciers right now. :loco:

Put that in your fireplace and burn it, man!

Coral bleaching, rapidly melting glaciers, shrinking polar ice caps, increasing size and frequency of El Nino events… What more proof do you need?

Yes I am well aware of the twenty year now is it? cycle of hurricanes like Katrina hitting the southern USA. How else would you explain the existence of so much development right in it’s path? :unamused:

Whatever? Have you read the links provided in this thread? Can you provide anything substantial to refute them? Please. I want nothing more than that the mind boggling sophistication of today’s scientific community has been wrong about global warming.

So the environmental wackos were right back then but they were wackos anyway, but the computer and satelite assisted, Phd in climatology holding wackos of today are wrong this time around and are, of course, still wackos? Is that your position? I’m sorry, I find this dreadfully confusing.

Was there something I said that led you to believe I was a pot smoking hippy? Is it patriotic to drive a Ford?

Was there something I said that led you to believe I was a pot smoking hippy? Is it patriotic to drive a Ford?[/quote]
Is there something about having a fireplace that makes one a pot-smoking hippy?

I dunno about F*rds. Personally I own a Chrysler. :stuck_out_tongue:

My stoned dickweed roommate at USC got my new M-16 out one night and emptied a 20 round magazine into and around our brick fireplace (the whole wall was white-painted brick). It looked pretty cool…kinda Beirutish.

They let you take live rounds away from the armory???