More Taiwanese speak good Deutsch it seems

If you have five minutes, you can listen and learn. I like DW a lot ( DEUTSCH LERNEN and their news for different point of view)

[Hsin-Wei aus Taiwan | Lehrerporträts | DW | 11.02.2020]

3 Likes

“(…) dass alles so ausgesprochen wird, wie man es schreibt.”

Doubt. But nice to see nonetheless.

3 Likes

Yes, nice to see it.

1 Like

It’s unbelievable anyway how many Taiwanese speak German. I can’t count the occasions where people I randomly met knew a few words, and quite a few even actually spoke it. And at the most surprising occasions… Like a betlenut chewing stereotypical older Taiwanese man, the dad of a gangster tai ke acquaintance. Turned out he used to be a German teacher.

4 Likes

Great story! Many study German to go to school there.

One xenophobic people learning the language of another xenophobic people.

1 Like

Only a loser would claim that :rofl: but yeah, it’s funny because it’s true. And seemingly a tradition thing :face_vomiting: This is ROC president CKS’ son:
Chiang2 copia

Other unexpected places I found German:

• A 7-11 in Ximending, where a group of local teenagers was loudly making fun of other people. Like “look at that fatty over there”. In German. Turned out they study German, and use it as a “secret language”.
  • A tinder date, who turned out had learned it to prepare for studying law (ROC law seems partly based on old German law)
  • Random Taiwanese in pubs and restaurants
  • My dentist, whose daughter learns it in Taipei European school and taught her some
  • Several PMs at multiple of my suppliers (tech companies). One of them is an aboriginal Taiwanese, happened to have lived and studied in Germany before.
  • One lawyer acquaintance, no idea why he learned it. Have to ask next time.
  • Several Taiwanese coworkers in my (Japanese) company
1 Like

Maybe because of

:joy:

I had two uncles who learned German.

What made them learn it? And did it fo them any good?

They chose it as part of foreign language requirements.

One uncle ended up working for Taipower and he’d go to Germany for conferences. The other didn’t use it, as far as I know.

My mom’s friend also had a son who studied philosophy in college who learned it to read original texts.

1 Like