More Wack Things in Taiwan

No, no, it’s you that would need courage to look the possibility of serious brain injury or worse in the face.

You seem like a nice guy; I hope what you wrote above was just joking or bravado.[/quote]

Since when does speaking English cause serious brain injury or worse? Man, you’re teaching it all wrong if that’s the results you’re getting. :moo:

I am a nice guy. But I am a Fool too. My aim is to provoke with jest…always… :smiling_imp:

Ha ha - maybe this should be merged with Blueface’s ‘The horror…’ thread.

mr. he:

no, i don’t live in chungli. now i live down the hill from you in hakka central between pusin and hukou. i tried yang guan shan lin but it was just too rainy too often.

chungli is the gangster capital? i always thought chungli was “cleaner” in that regard than taoyuan.

I’m just wondering with all this talk of wearing helmets what people here think that these poor excuses for helmets are going to really do to protect your head. I have looked at many of these helmets and am suprised at the lack of protection they provide. Apart from protecting the wearer from scratches and scraps and minor bumps, I cannot see any helmet here protecting against a major injury. You should still wear them of course but if you hit the ground hard enough to get brain damage these helmets are going split open and most likely make it worse (perhaps a piece of helmet stuck in your head).

Like I said wear them but don’t think they are going to protect you from a serious injury. Wear them to prevent minor injuries.

About 3 years ago here in Bali, a friend of mine wearing a cheap helmet was in an accident and had his throat cut by the broken plastic.

Taoyuan is worse, but not too much. A friend in Chungli has had gang fights in his street - a quiet little one next to a school at that. I even think that there was a murder once, but I am not too sure about that.

Filled up the car with gas yesterday and in addition to the standard bottle of water and box of tissue, the attendant gave us a small brown bottle of something called “Come Best.” :ohreally:

Saw this on the news a while ago, so I forgot where it happened exactly. Police were called to intervene in a domestic disturbance. They find two 30-ish mentally challenged brothers engaged in heated combat. After further questioning, it is revealed that they were fighting over who got to have sex with Mom. Turns out that Mommy, recognizing her sons

[quote=“Filthywaffle”]Saw this on the news a while ago, so I forgot where it happened exactly. Police were called to intervene in a domestic disturbance. They find two 30-ish mentally challenged brothers engaged in heated combat. After further questioning, it is revealed that they were fighting over who got to have sex with Mom. Turns out that Mommy, recognizing her sons

[quote=“aoi145”]
Just out of curiousity, would it be in the North, South, Middle or Eastern part of Taiwan? :slight_smile:[/quote]

All I remember is noting that it didn’t take place in the north. Nobody wants that sort thing going on too close to home.

Whoa…way, way too much information. :astonished:

That poor woman has probably saved many of the girls and women in her neighborhood from being raped (and even murdered). This is a very SAD story of a desperate woman and a complete lack of social services.

Of course, I’m well aware that the very fabric of society would be ripped asunder and the sky would fall in if she were allowed to get MARRIED to her sons, but what’s her solution? Perhaps she doesn’t have the money to buy them both a Vietnamese girl, like the rest of the population :smiling_imp:

[quote=“street dog”]That poor woman has probably saved many of the girls and women in her neighborhood from being raped (and even murdered). This is a very SAD story of a desperate woman and a complete lack of social services.[/quote]A better solution (assuming she could afford it) would be to hire some prostitutes. But no… we can’t have those corrupting society either…

Filthy, that’s just twisted! On a related note, anyone remember the one about the ‘gang-men dinhua’? The story goes that a young female student went to the hospital complaining of abdominal cramps. Upon x-ray, the doctors found that she had a cell-phone lodged in her cervix. Apparently, she and her boyfriend were ‘experimenting’ when the phone became irretrievable! Needless to say, she was a little embarrassed, most likely because the reporters and cameras got wind of the incident and flooded the hoispital; even had the x-ray on the news report! Gotta love the media ethics here!

Cheers,
CK

[quote=“citizen k”] Apparently, she and her boyfriend were ‘experimenting’ when the phone became irretrievable!
[/quote]

I thought it was a girl and her female roommate/classmate/friend or something?

On another related note, does anybody remember the C*ckring story? A husband and wife were trying to spice things up a bit and the ring was fell off inside. Of course they showed X-rays, and the doctor held the ring up to the camera, rolling it between his thumb and forefinger, describing how it must’ve come off, how far it had gone up, etc. What must have been most mortifying for the husband is that it seemed impossibly small.

I’m less likely to fault the media. It’s a saturated market and they’ve gotta make a buck. What bothers me are the hospitals, which allow in cameras to video accident victims, or the doctors that have no sense of doctor-patient confidentiality.

Is there a snopes.com for Taiwan?

Actually, Filthy, I think the female classmate thing was a copycat; seems they had quite a few after the original story aired.

On another front, something truly sick and twisted: There was an item on the news just last night about a 16 year old single mother who set her baby on fire, hid the remains in her closet and then contacted the authorities to say that the baby had gone missing. Didn’t take them long to find the remains in the closet and the girl was taken into custody. Pretty sad stuff.

CK

[quote=“citizen k”]Actually, Filthy, I think the female classmate thing was a copycat; seems they had quite a few after the original story aired.
[/quote]

With steady advances in mobile phone technology, I’m sure we’ll be seeing more copycat incidents.

“Hey! It’s smaller AND it can take pictures! Honey, do we have any dental floss?”

[quote=“Filthywaffle”][quote=“citizen k”]Actually, Filthy, I think the female classmate thing was a copycat; seems they had quite a few after the original story aired.
[/quote]

With steady advances in mobile phone technology, I’m sure we’ll be seeing more copycat incidents.

“Hey! It’s smaller AND it can take pictures! Honey, do we have any dental floss?”[/quote]

“Oooh, call me again!”

[RRRRRRRR…RRRRRRRR…]

Two words for you, ImaniOU: speed dial! :wink:
CK