✈ Air Travel - Morning flight to the US

Taking a trip home in two weeks, and my flight leaves at 9:30 AM. 24 hours later, I reach my destination at 10:30 PM. Trying to decide the best way to handle this visa-vi jet lag. I don’t have a problem coming from the US (I leave late at night, watch a movie or something, then sleep and wake up here in the morning), but the one time I’ve traveled to there, it was brutal. Took probably two weeks to adjust.

Anyone know if they’ll try to keep the cabin dark and quiet during the first half, since it’s night at the destination? Will most people be trying to sleep, and have the window shade down? This is a United flight.

I’m thinking of getting as little sleep as possible the night before and sleeping as soon as I get onboard.

1 Like

I’m going to assume you bought. They will certainly turn off the lights in Taiwan time.

My ways are… stay awake for the entire duration of the flight, get to the US and pass out in US nighttime.

Or, stay awake in Taiwan the night before and then pass out as you get on the plane.

4 Likes

This.

I can never sleep on flights anyway.

5 Likes

It’s me, my ROG Flow X13, my Xbox 360 controller and tonnes of classic emulated RPGs.

1 Like

From my experience, usually they try to get you on the destination schedule, serving you breakfast in what seems like the middle of the night, etc. I don’t remember how it was last time I flew to the US

I find it much easier to sleep away half of the hours – sitting in one place, awake, for the whole duration is awful. Compression socks help a lot, but mentally it still sucks. I have a hard time getting to sleep, but eventually…

2 Likes

Not a bad idea. Gaming would pass the time easier than movies, for sure.

1 Like

It made two 14 day quarantines bearable.

1 Like

It’s possible policies may vary.

That’s fine, the point is, you want a period of being awake for 24 hours directly before or during your transit. That will reset yourself. If needed, grab a melatonin and eat one at US night. I usually am able to recover in a day or two with minor remnants of my jetlag.

1 Like

Have you tried the John McClane rubbing barefoot toes on the carpet trick? Just don’t do it in tall office buildings.

Or you could ask your chemist or doctor for some sleeping pills.

Do you have layovers? If so, I find that the best way to fight jetlag is to exercise as much as possible between flights. I basically spend the whole time walking around the airport. For me, this makes a huge difference in my level of jetlag on arrival.

1 Like

Yeah I brought my Wii to TW with me specifically for this reason. Played a lot of old Playstation 1 games on it.

Yeah, two. Will definitely be up moving around during those, get the blood flowing

1 Like

Got one of these tomorrow.

Arriving at night time your destination actually seems like the best case scenario – you’ll be very tired from your flight (unless you’re one of those lucky people who can actually sleep in coach…) and can just crash

I usually take a 40mg of benadryl the first 2-3 nights and that helps force me to sleep (usually still wake up once in the night, but can get back to sleep)

1 Like

I have the same problem when flying from Frankfurt to Taipei.
I’ll usually watch some movies, have a glass of wine or two which help me sleep, watch some more movies or read a book, then, after arriving in trying to stay awake until it’s bedtime in Taiwan. I’m a bit knackered for two days but it helps taking off the edge of the jetlag.

1 Like

I typically just raid the bar. Have 12 beers and a few glasses of whatever cheap spirits they serve. Then I pass out and wake up when the plane lands.

The hangover then dominates the jetlag, so you sleep well the first night at your destination.

Have some more drinks at your destination if you have trouble sleeping on night 2 or 3.

Probably not the healthiest option, but with this proven method I haven’t felt a jetlag in years.

3 Likes

You mean the free drinks they give on international flights? Or the airport bar because if it’s the airport bar, that’s really expensive

1 Like

Forgot how much I hate checking in at the airport

With this method, just make sure you to don’t fall off the roof!

Guy

1 Like

Maybe that’s all part of the clown routine

2 Likes

With a lifestyle like that, I hope they’re still selling him clown insurance. :upside_down_face:

Guy

1 Like