Mosa Blackout: What Happened?

No problem…I read a book, had great sex and…

It’s an OUTRAGE that you got it back on! Now i’ll waste more of my life here! :wink:

So, folks how about it…Let’s put our heads together and create a really fine shendig of a fund raiser!!!

No problem…I read a book, had great sex and…[/quote]
Is that you Loretta?

Nama, maybe I’m missing something, but the way I read the Admin’s comments, F.com isn’t short of cash and the problem struck due to one or another oversight due to an operational decision to go monthly billing instead of yearly. No big deal.

Another thing. F.com is heading towards some sort of revenue generating metamorphosis soon (I gather) so the financial stability issues (for better or for worse) will be over: and as we all know - Money changes everything.

So, I don’t believe fundraising is required, but please correct me if I’m wrong. I’m sure if the admins felt “the community” needed to front up some cash, then the word would go out.

I feel something brewing. No matter what the future holds, I hope the contributions made by each and every one of us here is revered as the true value of forumosa.com, and I hope not too much emphasis is placed on the vehicle which has allowed the phenomenon to happen here.
Without the heart of the community, there is no forumosa.com.

Nama, maybe I’m missing something, but the way I read the Admin’s comments, F.com isn’t short of cash and the problem struck due to one or another oversight due to an operational decision to go monthly billing instead of yearly. No big deal.
[/quote]

Goose Man wrote:

[quote]

I asked if [color=darkred]I borrow the funds[/color] we raised for 2005 hosting to payoff the ORIENTED.org debt. Maoman graciously and generously agreed We are not worthy! (which isn’t really fair of me since, well, he still needs me now that I’ve tweaked the code beyond recognition! Big Grin )

Here’s what I will do to avoid future outages like this

1. [color=darkred]Raise funds u[/u] [/color]for Serverbeach hosting from July-Dec
  2. Pay for the final 6 months of 2005 upfront

Folks, I’m sorry about all this.[/quote]

This is what I read, so I interperted as lack of cash. Gooseman/Maoman can correct me if I’m wrong.

If you had told us you were updating the site, I think we would have bought it (I know I would have).

I would have settled for “the dog ate my source code.” :slight_smile:

OOC

[/quote]

Goose Man wrote:

[quote]

I asked if [color=darkred]I borrow the funds[/color] we raised for 2005 hosting to payoff the ORIENTED.org debt. Maoman graciously and generously agreed We are not worthy! (which isn’t really fair of me since, well, he still needs me now that I’ve tweaked the code beyond recognition! Big Grin )

Here’s what I will do to avoid future outages like this

1. [color=darkred]Raise funds u[/u] [/color]for Serverbeach hosting from July-Dec
  2. Pay for the final 6 months of 2005 upfront

Folks, I’m sorry about all this.[/quote]

This is what I read, so I interperted as lack of cash. Gooseman/Maoman can correct me if I’m wrong.[/quote]

you got half of what I wrote, maybe.

Has there been a server problem? I haven’t been able to get on to forumosa since yesterday… it kept redirecting me to page saying something about reconfiguring or something… whats all that about?

Cheers

Is there any way to have a “test site” that can be used for tweaking the code and getting the layout right? Once the test site is operational, the code could be transferred over the the real site to implement the changes.

Granted, I don’t know much about maintaining a website, especially one as large as this, but it’s just an idea. As seeker4 wrote on TaiwanHo, Forumosa.com is a huge resource for many people, and should be treated as such.

I’m all for tweaking things…afterall, that’s part of the fun for the admins, right? However, these tweaks should not cause the forums to go down. That’s why having a test site might be helpful.

Welcome back everyone…

[i]Let the games resume![/i]

Foramosa needs a black-out protocol so that it’s members knows what to do when it’s down. Maybe we should all collonize another website (Ho/Daves ESL Cafe) to continue our chats.

It seems like a lot of people do head over to the Ho. I’m not sure how the regulars over there feel about the invasion, though. There’s a reeeaaally long thread called “The Forumosa is down thread” and it seems to be getting longer every month. :laughing:

[quote=“Funk500”]Has there been a server problem? I haven’t been able to get on to forumosa since yesterday… it kept redirecting me to page saying something about reconfiguring or something… whats all that about?

Cheers[/quote]Did you reconfigure it like it told you it ? I think not or it would have been working. It’s all your fault :raspberry:

[quote=“Funk500”]Has there been a server problem? I haven’t been able to get on to forumosa since yesterday… it kept redirecting me to page saying something about reconfiguring or something… whats all that about?

Cheers[/quote]

I can’t get on, either. No matter how hard I try, or where I go, I can’t seem to be able to post anything.

I’ll try again later, I suppose.

Wierd. :frowning:

Forumosa is a lifeline, resource and friend to many a foreigner. Whatever can be done to prevent future crashes, should be done.

The front page is still down for me. I had to sneak in a back door.

Brian

Check www.forumosa.org for updates on our progress. This blog is hosted on a separate server from this one

So what happened this time?