Mosquitoes and Mosquito Mysteries

I agree that the “rackets” work best except when the mosquito is on the ceiling and then I have to throw something at it in order to make it fly so that I have can a chance of killing it.

I woke up one night and the mosquitoes were playing tennis with the damn things.

I went to Ikea and bought the white mosquito net that you need to hang above wherever you sleep. It was $399 and you need a drill to make a hole in your ceiling.They sell the parts separately,next to the nets. I saw several male customers buying them which made me happier that it wasn’t just my area that had mosquitoes.You have to becareful not to tear the delicate net and if you turn in your sleep,you may open the little gap and let them in. Still,I slept better knowing they couldn’t reach my face. If I keep getting less than 4 hours of sleep, I’ll probably kill you!

Mosquitos are sentient :shock:
Then they should know they’re going to get swatted if they bother me :laughing:

My friend bought a bag of greenish(?)looking herbs which you can buy for very little that you burn.The smell repels mosquitoes and is not harmful to humans. Might be worth checking out. It’s called CHAOW something,whatever the word is for “grass”.

i’d rather not have them come onto my premises in the first place. are there nets for windows? my landlord installed one, but the holes are too big.

are we talking about the same thing here?

I like the plug in type poison emmitter. Makes the room smell nice and I never see the little bastards. So far, no ill effects…So far, no ill effects…So far, no ill effects…So far, no ill effects…So far, no ill effects…So far, no ill effects…So far, no ill effects…

It sounds to me like the Chinese name is probably “dama”.

I’m pretty easy going about most things in life but one thing I absolutely hate is waking up at 3 in the morning out of a dead sleep to the sound of one of those little blood-sucking bastards going EEEEE! in my ear just before it lands on me to poke me. What makes it worse is I spend the next hour being outwitted by the malicious little creature so I end up being humilated on top of being violated.

It’s a good thing shotguns aren’t legal here in Taiwan or my house would look like the set of an Elmer Fudd cartoon by now.

I’ve recently taken the ignominious step of arming myself with a spray can of Off! on my bedside nightstand. It’s been a bit rough on my love life though because it seems to repel my wife too but it sure does work.

If that’s the price I’ve got to pay to get an unmolested night’s sleep though then so be it.

Ditch the Off, spook, and use a plug-in at night. They work great. Zapper racket in the day, when you can see them.

Okay, MT, I’ll try that. Thanks for the advice. One thing I forgot to share about Off! is its strange apparent side effect. It seems to be an aphrodisiac too at the same time my wife won’t come anywhere near me.

That’s been starting to be a real problem.

Yeah, those plug-in deals work like a hot damn. Also, for added effect, you can try having a fan blow a light breeze over you. If they make it past the plug-in machine, the little winged parasitic blood thieves won’t be able to land you. No EEEEEE in you ear, and no being half asleep hitting yourself in the head thinking that you could actually kill the bastard in the dark.

Hans

I live on the 19th floor of my apartment block. How the hell do I get so many mosquitoes in my place? It seems like they just materialise out of thin air. And I thought I’d be safe!

yep, they are everywhere. i had it bad on the sixth floor. they seemingly are carried on updrafts to anywhere. i learnt to minimize their impact by decreasing draft zones: the inch gap between door and the floor. i would cover over my kitchen fan (which led somewhere) when hot in use. the same for the bathroom fan. doing such and plugging socks into derelict electric outlets along the ways reduced my mosquito battles a great deal.

one bit of advice i picked up here: leave the bathroom light on. they’ll be drawn to the heat. then you can slide in, shut the door and kill with ease as they are easily spotted against the white walls.

They seem to like higher up. When we were on the 11th florr the place was full of them. Now we’re on the 1st and 2nd, we get maybe one or two every now and then in Spring.

Brian

i’ve found that closing the window after dark seems to work. I open the window during the day when i work to allow ventilation, and come home and close the window. I’ve noticed that if I let the window stay open at night, I will always without fail have mosquitos.

this is after pluggin in the holes between door and doorframes with insulation tape.

They take the elevators. Keep your eyes open!

Air Conditioning.

It’s a wonderful thing. Close all the windows and turn it on. After a few hours they’ll begin to move slower and then you kill’em all. Then sleep with the windows closed and ari con on.

Ski

They also come in from the extractor fan in the kitchen and through my dryer. Basterds are clever.

I don’t have much trouble with them up on the 23rd, but then it gets rather windy up here too. They can’t fly well in the wind.

Five bites last night. 3 on the face, one on the hand, one on the base of the foot. Why couldnt it bite me once and fuck off?