Mosquitoes and Mosquito Mysteries

Also, I remember reading a report that those blue lights don’t attract mozzies, as mozzies go for other stimulants; however, those lights do attract and kill the bugs that eat mozzies. :s

So, forget the blue lights!

[quote=“Stray Dog”]
And a fan works fine, too. Mozzies can’t bear turbulent air.[/quote]

Ack! Not true! I remember as a kid standing in a parking lot with winds gusting up fierce enough to blow quarter filled juice boxes over and the mosquitos were still all over me.

But maybe that’s just because I’m so sweet.

Wind is a great thing. Keeps them off of you as well as dispersing the various chemicals they use to find you. Still, don’t count on it as your only defense.

I’d suggest maybe getting some of the new “OFF”-brand citronella bracelets. They work decently well but I’m not sure if they’ve gotten to Taiwan yet.

Every time a mosquito gets into the house, it makes (ahem) a beeline for me. Then it goes into the “bounce up and down in an attack pattern” routine. Then it bites me at least THREE times without EVER drawing any blood.

I just killed the latest little bloodsucker. Four bites, zero blood drawn. Yesterday, it was three (all on my left hand), and zero blood drawn. No, I’m not killing a different mosquito from the one that bit me.

Back in the U.S., mosquitos drone in slowly, settle down, drink their fill, and fly off. They’re easy to spot, they come in dumb, very easy to kill – but at least when you’re asleep or in a drunken stupor and they manage to land and bite you without getting killed, they bother to drain some blood out of you every time, and only bite once.

Here, the damn things go insane as they come at you, then forget to do what they’d planned to do in the first place, so they have to bite repeatedly. WTF?!?!?!?

i reckon that makes TW mossies smart. they get in and fly out causing as much annoyance as possible.

oz mossies are slow, landing on you and drawing blood long enough for you to kill 'em.

Depends on the season. Mosquitoes are slow, then faster, then lightning quick, then maybe slow again (do you get thefeeling I’m making this up). When I lived in Wanfang they were a major nuisance. Be lucky they’re duds where you live.

It’s getting colder out. So most of the mosquitoes are probably punch drunk.

Wait until you turn out the lights… they will attack in droves. :smiling_imp:

Insert cheesy bug movie footage.

This is interesting because I was thinking the same thing mapo. Mosquitoes here bite in series or something. I rarely wake up with one bite. It’s more often three or four.

There are several varieties of mosquitoes here. One kind is known to be more potent than the common mosquitoe. I’m sure it’s true, they itch like no tomorrow. They look different too, they have white stripes on their body. I can’t stand the little guys.

bobepine

Those are the ones that can carry dengue fever (I think).

Ours can use the elevator and find their way up to the 7th floor…if that isn’t smart, I don’t know what is…

I’m on the 12th floor and they like to get off there too.
And for some reason, they tend to hide out during the day and only come out in the middle of the night to takes a couple of bites at you. They don’t make a sound, you just wake up scratchy in some places. Damn it!

And those potent ones are the worst. Those bites last for weeks and are still itchy after a week. WTF!

[quote=“AWOL”]i reckon that makes TW mossies smart. they get in and fly out causing as much annoyance as possible.

oz mossies are slow, landing on you and drawing blood long enough for you to kill 'em.[/quote]
Just like Taiwan ants are smart. They actually run away when you attempt to smoosh them. In the US they simply go about their business as you happily kill them.

[quote=“bobepine”]This is interesting because I was thinking the same thing mapo. Mosquitoes here bite in series or something. I rarely wake up with one bite. It’s more often three or four.

There are several varieties of mosquitoes here. One kind is known to be more potent than the common mosquitoe. I’m sure it’s true, they itch like no tomorrow. They look different too, they have white stripes on their body. I can’t stand the little guys.

bobepine[/quote]
I was told that the white-striped ones are “rice-paddy mosquitos”. Not sure about dengue, but they do spread Japanese encephalitis. Their bite is pretty bad, but there was another one which was worse – I don’t know what these others are called, but the center of the bite formed a blister which would ooze for days.

I say lets put an end to all this Taiwanese Mosquito Racism. :smiley:

I’m always amazed at 2 mosquito things.

1. That my SO refuses to allow spray in the house where we could just kill the little bastards in one big chemical mist attack like we all do in Australia.

2. That she can actaully smack her hands together and kill them. Australian mozzies are very fast, Taiwanese mozzies are lethargic or just go about their business like American ants.

Conclusions.

Fast.
Australian mozzies.
Taiwanese ants.

Slow.
Taiwanese mozzies.
American ants.

I prefer the smacking them at the ground. It usually kills them or at least leaves them spinning on the ground so Mr. Shoe can finish the job.

Nonsense. The electric tennis racket is the only way to go. The zapping sound when you fry another one has a special place in my heart …

The racket and the ensuing stench of burning mosquito flesh work well. It catches fruit flies too if you swing it around around fast enough for them to touch the wires. But in those instances where it’s not handy and you don’t want bug guts and God knows who else’s blood on your hands or walls, smacking them at the floor works in a pinch.

There is a was a new model of Mosquito released in Europe last year.

Fast. Streamlined. Maneauverable.

These mosquitos exist in the forests of Switzerland and actually target you in swarms.
They aim right at you, land, bite and then bugger off drawing blood each time.
They are so good they even fly through thick plumes of campfire smoke to get at you - you can actually see them fly through it towards you.
:help:

They were the most agressive, well trained mosquitoes I have ever encountered.
They had apparently “appeared” a few months before I got there and were in the hieght of biting season and they were BIG. They’d never been seen before, according to one of the national park officials.
They were like darts I tell you.

“Why are mossies here so stupid?”

I blame an overreliance on rote learning.

The little pricks are just not getting a well-rounded education.

Scientists are working on ways to wipe out mosqitoes. Mostly in malaria infected areas. They sterelize males and release them. They figure that might work. :loco: Good luck with that. The little bastards will always find a way to reproduce, there are too damn many of em everywhere all over the world.

bobepine