Mosquitoes and Mosquito Mysteries

squidboy-

I will have to disagree with you on this one. Me, myself, personally believe that the mosquitos here are by far the most intellegent out of the rest. And you may question why??

Before moving here, I spent half of my life both in GA and FL (land of the skitters),and not once in my entire life have I been bitten while sitting in my house. All of the stateside skitters attack outdoors only, but when I moved here I found that these are different. For months I got attacked on a daily basis by many, and for months I searched for their entry. Finally after months I found a hole where the condenser hose for the AC left the room that was about the size of a pinhole so I figured, wtf, let me tape this up. After this the skitter issue was over.

So this led me to think, how the hell can the skitters here find a small hole to attack, but the ones stateside, even with the door wide open, cannot find their way in… I could go on forever, but I will stop here.

Radar…Taiwan mosquitoes have radar… :astonished:

Ah, yes… my little highly trained minions at work! You don’t realize yet that they’re not drawing your blood but rather spitting mine into you.

Ah, yes… my little highly trained minions at work! You don’t realize yet that they’re not drawing your blood but rather spitting mine into you.[/quote]
That explains it. You really are evil! :fume: ( :smiley: )

Seriously, that is my one major complaint – that they don’t draw any blood most of the time when they bite! I could stand them a lot more if they would bite once and then bugger off. Instead, they bite repeatedly, leaving welts all over me (from just one single stupid mosquito), by which time I’m standing in the middle of the room with my electric mosquito racket waiting to kill them on their next attempt. Then they get electrocuted, I squash them on the floor to be sure they’re dead, I see that they haven’t taken a single drop of blood out of me, and so the whole exercise was pointless for them. In short, “stupid”.

A friend who’s stateside emailed me about a mosquito that was poised on the edge of his daughter’s cup full of chocolate milk. When the thing landed briefly on the table, he swatted the f*cker, leaving a big pool of chocolate milk on the table. :astonished:

This incident could explain the origin of the centuries-old Eastern European stories of “Count Chocula”.

If you cut the nerve on a mosquito that tells it its stomache is full, it will guzzle until it explodes. That’s pretty stupid.

I don’t know if that is true or not.

Someone told me this was true of goldfish; keep feeding them and they’ll keep eating until they die, because they only have like 5 seconds of memory and will just see the food and go for it. Fact or not?

Mythbusters had a show on whether goldfish could be trained to follow mazes – i.e., that by going through the marked circles was the proper way to do it. The guy who wears the beret was much better at teaching his, and he got his fish to drop their times way down.

Whether or not that means they can be fed to death, I don’t know.

Perhaps the Taiwanese goldfish have mated with mosquitos? They forget what they bit you for and fly off, only to get hungry moments later?

I hear that if you block your vein whilst the little fugger is ‘in’ you, it will fill up with blood and explode.

Luke Skywalker must be a sithbuster.

[quote=“MaPoSquid”]Every time a mosquito gets into the house, it makes (ahem) a beeline for me. Then it goes into the “bounce up and down in an attack pattern” routine. Then it bites me at least THREE times without EVER drawing any blood.

I just killed the latest little bloodsucker. Four bites, zero blood drawn. Yesterday, it was three (all on my left hand), and zero blood drawn. No, I’m not killing a different mosquito from the one that bit me.

Back in the U.S., mosquitos drone in slowly, settle down, drink their fill, and fly off. They’re easy to spot, they come in dumb, very easy to kill – but at least when you’re asleep or in a drunken stupor and they manage to land and bite you without getting killed, they bother to drain some blood out of you every time, and only bite once.

Here, the damn things go insane as they come at you, then forget to do what they’d planned to do in the first place, so they have to bite repeatedly. WTF?!?!?!?[/quote]

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Breath, breath, thats it slowly…

Ok now…

Try this. It worked for me when I first arrived here on Taiwan.

Wear your most sexiest nighty (even if your a man, trust me)

Lie down in a very seductive fashion. Spray yourself with a good cheap perfume. (they love this)

Sit back patiently and wait… I can assure you that the little jerks will drink you dry!

Hey, don’t thank me. I’m sure you would help me out in the same way… :smiley:

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]If you cut the nerve on a mosquito that tells it its stomache is full, it will guzzle until it explodes. That’s pretty stupid.

I don’t know if that is true or not.[/quote]

I’ve got more mosquitos in my apartment than Taoyuan has sex toy shops. I’ve tried sealing up the cracks around my AC and a couple likely sources, but they just keep coming.

Does anyone have a good method for finding out where the critters are sneaking in from?

Buy a bug zapper and leave it on 24 and 7. No more bugs, that easy.
Oh ya, place it in the center of your home.
You can buy replacement bulbs at B and Q.

Always put things on top of all your drains. And stop up the drains in the bath and sinks.
Sounds stupid, but it seems to work. Also, leave a fan on when you aren’t home. This is what we do in Louisiana. And Taiwan mosquitoes are pussies compared to ours.

[quote=“Ma Ke”]Buy a bug zapper and leave it on 24 and 7. No more bugs, that easy.
Oh ya, place it in the center of your home.
You can buy replacement bulbs at B and Q.[/quote]That didn’t work for me. :frowning: Nothing works, I get bites all the time in the winter. I hate the little suckers. I use an electric device with green liquid. It plugs into the wall. It helps a bit but I still get bites unless I spray myself with mosquito spray and even then they sometimes get me. The worse is near the eyes or on the lips. It happens when I sleep. ALL THE FUNKING TIME :s

bobepine

The little buggers have invaded my GF apartment too. They never bit me, guess my blood isnt good enough for em’ :raspberry: , but unfortunately they feast on her…drives her nuts too. She has taped her unused drains, put stoppers in the bathroom drains, duck taped all the little openings around her AC and windows, put a bug zapper in her room, and kept a swater by her bed for good ol’ one on one combat.

The war is far from over…the bug zapper seems to get most of them, but not all. She wants to try citranella candles…but I advised her against it considering an open flame in a Taiwanese apartment might equal disaster (gas stove, gas water heater, gas everything!)

The one thing that finally started to work…and i kid you not…Hemp. Yes folks, you heard me right, Hemp works. Not the kind you roll and smoke though :beatnik: :wink: , the Hemp Cream / Lotion. You can get it at “Bath and Body”…it sells her in the US for about $9 a tube, which lasts a long time. Try it, might work for you too.

Good luck in fighting the good fight! :braveheart:

The little buggers have invaded my GF apartment too. They never bit me, guess my blood isnt good enough for em’ :raspberry: , but unfortunately they feast on her…drives her nuts too. She has taped her unused drains, put stoppers in the bathroom drains, duck taped all the little openings around her AC and windows, put a bug zapper in her room, and kept a swater by her bed for good ol’ one on one combat.

The war is far from over…the bug zapper seems to get most of them, but not all. She wants to try citranella candles…but I advised her against it considering an open flame in a Taiwanese apartment might equal disaster (gas stove, gas water heater, gas everything!)

The one thing that finally started to work…and i kid you not…Hemp. Yes folks, you heard me right, Hemp works. Not the kind you roll and smoke though :beatnik: :wink: , the Hemp Cream / Lotion. You can get it at “Bath and Body”…it sells her in the US for about $9 a tube, which lasts a long time. Try it, might work for you too.

The one thing that finally started to work…and i kid you not…Hemp. Yes folks, you heard me right, Hemp works. Not the kind you roll and smoke though :beatnik: :wink: , the Hemp Cream / Lotion. You can get it at “Bath and Body”…it sells here in the US for about $9 a tube, which lasts a long time. Try it, might work for you too.

this is not likely to be of help but since it just might when the tree behind our house was cut down the moisquito situation improved tremendously.