Most and least useful degrees

What do you guys think the most useful and least useful degrees are? I’m trying to finish up and most colleges will still only allow me to transfer around 2 years worth of stuff. So I can just not take general education courses even If i choose something completely different. I did international business and it was a complete waste of time. Nothing I needed a degree for. I took a trimester of design but after talking to people, I won’t make money unless I’m the very few that have the artistic talent for it. Although I enjoy it I don’t see myself as one of those people who just have the talent and eye.

I’m almost considering law, I did very well in my law classes and have great logic and reasoning skills for it. But I would be into my 30s before I take the BAR exame.

May I ask what you want to do? Like, any fields or any interests?

My entire direction was sports and entertainment and marketing related. I’ve been offered to run gyms in shanghai and worked with big fight events. But I don’t think that’s too realistic of a career. A lot of drinking and partying with celebrities and influencers.

I like business, sales, marketing. I like working with people and building relationships. I like laws and politics.

They say STEM tends to be the most useful and informative; I wouldn’t disagree, but there are factors of business that I believe are great in the long-run, but the education behind it can be mediocre. That’s what I thought, at least, taking both STEM and business classes in college.

I have an Economics degree. It’s useful in Non-Traditional applications.

While yes, you can make a career in strictly Economics, a great thing that I got from it was the ability to make better decisions in management and marketing. It helped me understand people more.

What most people don’t understand about Economics is that it’s not about money. It’s about how people make decisions. Would suggest Economics as a major and Business Admin with a marketing stream as a minor. Economics is also married to Politics. A great way to understand the other side too.

Engineering is very highly paid, hardware and software.

Accounting can be dry, but pays well.

I’m honestly not interested in stem fields.

I took a lot of Econ as my major is business. But I’m honestly not that interested in any business related classes unless it gives me very specific skills that will land me a job like a CPA, which I don’t want to be. Even most of my class mates who major on finance does like account receivables which I was doing for my dad at 16. Most business majors doesn’t teach me any more skills than my time working at my dads company.

I was thinking maybe political science but I’m not entirely sure that is a major that will transfer into a job either.

I would do law or even be a doctor if I was 18 again. But trying to take the BAR which I’m not even guaranteed to pass at 30s is not a great thought.

Architecture? I will need an architect when I flatten half of Taipei and their ugly Gongyus.

Kaohsiung is next.

Don’t you have to be great on drawing and very accurate to do a architect? That’s not me. I’m learning to draw creatively but I’m not able to draw in that way. And I’m not that interested in that.

I wouldn’t mind Econ as a major. But what can I do with it as a job. I’m taking time off with no income and I’m not a 20 year old anymore so I need to really decide. So far I’m only qualified as a physical fitness trainer and boxing/muay Thai instructor. Gym operation and extensive entertainment marketing. But I’m not so sure about these as the future for me.

Well, It’s great in management and politics. It’s a degree for people who want to make decisions. Company decisions, political decisions, management, entrepreneurship, marketing, sales, financial advising, financial analyst, credit analyst, real estate, public service and others that I can’t think of at 2am.

These jobs don’t always SPECIFICALLY ask for an economics degree per se, they just significantly benefit from the lower and upper level knowledge the degree provides. Economics, I found was extremely malleable.

I worked in sales before, now I run my company advising companies here in Taiwan about marketing in English along with translation thrown in. It’s still small and new, but i’m already living off of it. I learn and understand my markets.

I think, more than anything, to make money, you need to be a “hero”. Economics helps you understand the people and their needs, then you can fill the hole by providing their needs. See what they demand. You’re helping people get what they want.

1 Like

Thanks.

All also be taking 20 hours of Italian a week so I can live in Italy lol. They have a similar program like Taiwan for students given visas to learn Chinese. Plus that and school it will be a lot of work but it’s not like I have a job. Family will support so I’m lucky. But I guess learning another language can be very useful.

I would continue entertainment and marketing for events in entertainment but it’s not conducive to family life. You’re out late with like rich and celebrities and out drinking a lot. Sports, I’m only getting older. I will need to take more fights and even some pro fights which can be arranged to make more of a legitimacy to myself. Plus more training. But how long can I do that for? I’m not going to be a champion just a run of a mill amateur with some pro cards at some place in Thailand. So I’m not so sure my heart is in it beside my love for sports and competition.

A more pragmatic way to ask your question is: Where will the good salaries be at about the time you expect to graduate, and what degrees will those employers expect to see? Then you decide which of those fields and degrees will be a good fit for you. Approaching the question this way prioritizes stability and financial reward, and will help you avoid choosing a path that doesn’t pay well. It also tells you what people you need to talk to to learn about their field. So - check the online job boards, glassdoor.com, linkedin.com and similar sites, and talk with as many people in your targeted career paths as possible.

If you still have some interest in law, there find online lists of foreign law firms and lawyers in Asia or wherever. Email them questions about practicing different areas of law, and they will probably answer. You might find someone who will let you take them out for a coffee on a day when they’re not so busy.

That’s basically what’s I’m asking. What degree actually translate into a stable well paying job. There’s so many BS ones that are useless.

you obviously like sports a lot.
try sports marketing (in whatever way you want) or even sports athlete management (get your 10-20% cut of their salary).
Start to build up an athlete portfolio little by little.
Help those Asians worthy of higher professional sports salaries get them at top-level sports leagues. Don’t forget E-sports.

1 Like

If business and money are the game I suggest studying psychology or related. Most branding, marketing, trading etc is all about playing a stupid game with people. Learning to read, judge, predict behaviours etc as well as in a social structure will be what you need. Also apply said skills on group thinking, cultures and countries.

Most degrees are fairly useless, not much more than just being able to say you have one.

Also study monkeys and dogs (social intelligent animals), learning how to read them will greatly improve your your human prediction ability.

1 Like

There is a truth to that unless you study required and very specific fields like accounting and medicine.

But as of now, I’m pretty much dependent on family money and that’s not as unlimited as I would like. So I have to choose wisely and get my money worth in finishing my degree. Sadly I left senior year due to medical reasons and had so much happen I never went back like my original original plan. And now I’m engaged wirh my fiancée also needing to get a degree. We have different nationalities so makes thing tricky

Congratulations on the engagement @Andrew0409/@_Lilith
Set a date yet?
@shiadoa has saved a LOT of :moneybag: for the red envelope. Please remember him when inviting guests to the feast.

2 Likes

It’s possible but hard to see how to get into it in Asia you know.

Thank you.

What about investment banking?

Econ and finance is what I need right? I may be able to transfer some basic Econ and finance classes I already took.

You’d succeed there, as it’s 99% personality (customer engagement, telling funny stories).
Just stay away from traditional sell-side IB, it’s dying a slow death.
With your connections to wealthy people, you could get hired probably rather quickly as a private banker to manage their wealth. The financial company will train you on the financial products to sell.