Most and least useful degrees

business analytics.

Anything to do with quants.

Are you 100% sure this is what you want? A stable job?

Your father is an entrepreneur, right? Have you asked him for advice about your future?

If I were you I’d start by taking a hard look at moi. Where do you see yourself in 5 years? In ten years? (with a job still??) Talk to your father (genes) and your fil, and ask them what’s important to them now, at their ages. What do they regret? How have their goals changed as they aged? Where do they see themselves in 5yrs, 10yrs, etc.? Get any idea from them to help you understand where you see yourself in 15 years, in 20, etc.

Tbh, there is no such thing as a well-paying, stable job that is truly supportive of family (in the US, anyway). All well-paying, public-corporation positions are ostensibly 40hrs per week but are such that you can’t move up the corporate ladder unless you work 50-60 hours per week minimum.

The fastest risk-free way to learn about any industry is to work as a consultant in that industry. Consultancy firms are always looking for talent to hire. Contact some and ask what they look for (my guess is they’ll be happy to talk with you). Owning your own consultancy firm can be super profitable.

One area in the US that’s often overlooked is corporate human relations. Good HR people are in strong demand in the US, it pays well, and HR types usually do not work long weeks year in year out.

If I were you I’d drop the idea of having a job, though. Go into business for yourself. Ask your father for advice, or your fil. You’ll still work long hours but for yourself. It’s also where a guy with a creative personality can really shine, and get rich doing it.

3 Likes

Consider the Liberal Arts–philosophy, literature, history (incl. music and art history). Take time to expose yourself to the greatest books ever written, and the deepest thoughts ever thunk. :grinning: Search for the meaning of life, and your place in it.

There’s no magic degree that will automatically bring you a good job. If you pick a degree just for money, then if your plans fail, you’ll find that you’ve wasted your education. Most people end up doing something different than what they’ve studied, anyway. So unless you have very specific interests, there’s no point in premature specialization. Aim for a well-rounded education.

2 Likes

Im going with cliches…

The most useful degree is a degree that you fully immersed in and enjoy learning. Simply because you do retain things and learn things. On the other hand, the least useful is the one you force memorize to pass an exam.

On practice and personal feel, business degrees are the least useful simply because I know a lot of successful enterpreneurs including my parents who start and run business without ang business degrees.

Try Brewing & Distilling or Winemaking. Very practical and with your resources, sales and marketing expertise and connections you can even build out your own brand. Even if not, there is a big shortage of qualified people in the industry, which makes it easy to get sponsored for visas.

:open_mouth: Down to my last Ferrari …and no Castles. Life is hard :disappointed_relieved:

:joy:

“Gender studies” is the only true answer.

2 Likes

To add.

Forget about degree. Most of the time experience speaks and gets the job. If you want a certain job, make sure you take time to know what it is and have some skills ticked; much better if you do internship or some sort of experience with them.

How big is the sports industry in Taiwan?

I don’t even think universities here have competitive gym as compared to that in US. I work in Academia Sinica and their gym is depressing… worse than hotel gym. Folks that work in Anytime Fitness appear to be desperate with new clients. And I find that ordinary people here don’t care at all. That of course is gym going so I don’t know if that translates to badminton, basketball, etc.

Does that make you happy? Are you happy doing it? Are you just concern that it does not pay well? Or that 5 years down the line, you are older that you cannot perform well?

My take is that if you are happy doing it, then go for it. If pay is not good, find ways to make it better. If you are worried that you are old and can’t do stunts, then be a coach, train younger coaches - sometimes you end up managing instead of actual practicing.

Law would be good. Or any kind of engineering.

Welding, plenty of job opportunities and good money if you are willing to work overseas.

Definitely sports down the line. You don’t need to be an athlete to be involved in sports management and marketing. You’ve already done it anyway!

Law is always good, a degree in law doesn’t mean you have to be a practicing lawyer. Although I personally would have loved to give it a shot for a few years.
There are corporate lawyers jobs but I can state fairly categorically these would not be for you as a full time gig.

1 Like

Yes, I trained but I had a knack for running operations and more as I did. I did very well and people knew. I turned down multiple offers in a new gym in Shanghai and even a new gym in Taiwan.

I probably wouldn’t be able to train people once I hit a certain age sure. But I also don’t have a fighters pedigree and celebrity status to open one on my own.

The gym market is also so saturated. Even big gyms like world gym don’t make money. So many trainers decided they will open their own and they will eventually die probably within this new year. World gym has a huge reserve to hold on.

No, not in the long run. But most people usually start this way.

My fathers not the best to ask for degree questions. He has none lol. He went to one of those 2 year trade schools Taiwan made at his time to get people working. Worked for hon hai/Foxconn and said fuck this and got together others to found another company competing against them lol.

But yes the goal is to own my own business. Where even if I work 80 hour weeks, it’s for me not for someone else.

Grow some thick skin and start streaming. A fortune teller (唐XX) makes 10-20 million annually by streaming on Facebook and YouTube (and of course her horoscope book helps as well). I would love to do that tbh. Such a fun and easy job.

Do not treat a law degree as an all-purpose degree. Lawyers do other stuff because so many leave the profession.

A law degree is a very bad idea because a) if you go to an American law school, be prepared for 250k USD of debt as one year’s tuition is like 80-90k, it’s three extra years of (demanding) studies and b) if you do it in Taiwan I don’t think your level of Chinese allows it at all. Besides it really isn’t an easy circle to break in. Someone like you would be deemed an outsider. You would not understand any of the norms and have any connection as they are primarily built up during your undergrad (and postgrad if you do one) degree. That is unless you’re willing to spend 4 more years studying with 18 year-olds, and believe me it’s not gonna be fun for you.

1 Like