Most and least useful degrees

Maybe, but that still sounds very naive. You simply can’t practice law without going through the system (aka law school), whichever country you are gonna work in, and bar exam is usually the entry ticket.

1 Like

What do you have to make on the BAR in Taiwan? I know a couple people who have been testing and re-testing for years and still can’t seem to pass.

It has two parts. 1/3 of the people would pass the first stage and of those 1/3 would pass the second stage, so in the end only 10% of the people would pass each year.

I passed it in 2017 and it wasn’t fun, then again bar exam tends to be a nightmare everywhere so it’s not really that special.

I’ll take the bar in the U.K. if I was going to do it. That’s why I’m concerned with going to law school so late and taking the BAR in my 30s

I find it highly unrealistic. The UK does not have a be-all and end-all bar exam as in Taiwan or the US or France. If you want to become a solicitor or a barrister in England and Wales as a foreigner you would need to complete a specific course programme (whose abbreviations I can never remember) and you would need at least a master’s of law degree to get in. The programme is 2 years, and even if you find a law firm who would hire you and finance your course, they would only pay you £10k during those two years, which is a far graver predicament than living in Taipei City on 22k.

There are foreign law students aplenty doing a master’s degree in Britain, many of whom have already worked in their home countries as lawyers for years, and they are fighting for those same openings. I myself have no interest in that since London’s cost of living gives me the trots (amongst other reasons), but I know quite a few who do (usually from India or Eastern/Southern Europe) and it’s really tough to get in. They’ve been applying since last year and most of them haven’t gotten any offer.

Anyway, if you decide to go through with this plan, tax law would make you the most sought-after. Tax law firms are hiring people left and right.