Most annoying behaviour(s) on MRT and commuter trains

My peeve is the clueless dolt who gets on the MRT escalator, steps to the left, and just stands there. But what’s worse in my opinion is the even more clueless dolt who stands behind him and doesn’t ask him to get moving or step to the right. :fume:

That’s one of my top three peeves of Taiwan. The other two are tongyong pinyin and the Min Guo Year dating system. Little else truly bothers me about Taiwan.

Good to get that off my shoulders. Now I’m a happy camper! :slight_smile:

And those damn chickens…the pigs and dogs are usually no problem…but those damn chickens…noisy and messy…:fume:

Yeah, I can’t tell you how many times I’ve gotten wailed by people (or their bags) rushing down the escalator to catch a leaving train.

I think that’s it’s really kind of pointless. First of all, they’ve done studies to show that people who rush around like that, on average, get to their destination only like millisecondsearlier than those who don’t. And then there’s the “cattle effect”.

“Aw, sh*t, there’s the beeping sound, the train’s leaving. Ah what the hell, I’ll get the next one.”

(some idiot runs past)

“Dude, that guy’s gonna make it! I’m gonna shoot for it too!!”

Multiply this by the gazillion other people on the escalator and it’s a wonder more people don’t get trampled to death . . .

Wow, I’m sounding more and more like my father all the time.

One word for you:

Taxi.

I look at the extra money I spend on a clean cool ride in a brand-new Toyota (with gray leather seats and white doilies) as money that won’t be spent lying on a psychiatrist’s sofa later in life. It makes the ride seem even more affordable.

Life is good.

And no one has mentioned the number one annoyance (you might want to finish digesting your food before you continue):

I’m serious, yo. Don’t read this part on a full or even semi-empty stomach…

People who dig around in their nose and obviously find what that they’re looking for and then choose to either rub their newly-found treasure onto the closest surface or ignore it and regrip the pole or handle with their snottily-enhanced fingers.

:sick:

One could say the MRT is where I got my first taste for surfing…

Hands-free on the MRT!

I surf on the MRT too. W

[quote=“Muzha Man”]Jees, just yesterday I had to take a seat beside a really pretty young girl and as she had her hand over the hump between seats (so that it was resting on my side) I practically sat on it. She still diddn’t move, instead keeping it just ever so slightly touching the side of my leg.

Another time a pretty girl across from me who wouldn’t uncross her legs when I sat down. Her toes rested against my shin the whole time we rode back to Muzha. And she had the audacity to keep looking at me in the eyes too as if I was supposed to like this.

I tell ya, more of these incidents and I’m really going to blow up on the MRT. :wink:[/quote]

That’s woody material!

[quote=“Chris”]My peeve is the clueless dolt who gets on the MRT escalator, steps to the left, and just stands there. But what’s worse in my opinion is the even more clueless dolt who stands behind him and doesn’t ask him to get moving or step to the right. :fume:

That’s one of my top three peeves of Taiwan. The other two are tongyong pinyin and the Min Guo Year dating system. Little else truly bothers me about Taiwan.

Good to get that off my shoulders. Now I’m a happy camper! :slight_smile:[/quote]

I keep a sharpened K-Bar in my backpack for these occasions! :fume:

Haven’t you noticed that the trains are DESIGNED for people to walk from one end to the other? This is one of the best features of the MRT. It allows passengers to evenly distribute themselves in the train as opposed to bunching up in one or two cars.

By the end of year one anytime I was shoved aside or shoulder checked by people in the MRT station who where rammin their way into, or off of,or through I started to stick my foot out and trip them.

I feel that the mentality behind the shovers is “fuck you… I want… and I can get away with it because I will be gone b4 anybody can react, if you don’t get caught is does not count.”

But it seems the loss of face involved with falling flat on yer ass in front of the 40 people you just shoved aside is poetic justice.

makes me laugh.

[quote=“gary”][quote=“puiwaihin”]I bet it doesn’t even occur to parents to teach their children not to exhibit this kind of behavior. It isn’t natural to be considerate, you have to have your eyes opened on things like this.
[/quote]

:slight_smile: Chinese culture likes to raise introverts afraid of looking at what’s in front of them.[/quote]

thats because in the news people get killed just for looking at someone.

dont sit in priority seats !! although i wonder if this woman was arrested for assault as she should have been

I guess you missed the discussion on this over in the MRT thread back in October. She was drunk.

ah obviously

I have been observing this new annoying trend since last year. This isn’t limited to MRT or commuter trains, but on THSR as well.

There would be a long line waiting for the train, the train arrives and the doors open. After people got off the train, and the line starts moving, people would get into the loading/offloading section between the door and the gangway, and stop there. There are plenty of standing space if not seats in the passenger area, but they just won’t move.

The area next to the door couldn’t possibly hold more than 10 people, so the line just stops moving. Until those still outside of the train realized the train would leave without them, then they start pushing and shoving through assholes blocking the loading area to get inside the passenger area.

Often times it’s the young people who would occupy that tiny area next to the door, leaving elderly people having to push and shove their way on the the train.

If you tell them that there are plenty of space inside the passenger area, these “young people”, well sometimes around their 30s, would avoid your gaze until they give up and complain while they move towards the passenger area, making room for other passengers to board the train.

When did this become a thing? I’m pretty sure it wasn’t like this 5 years ago.

3 Likes

It’s been a thing on the MRT for as long as I can remember. Decades?

4 Likes

And buses too, the areas around the front and center doors jammed with people standing whilst there are empty seats at the back of the bus, wouldn’t be so bad if they were getting off at the next stop but they just continue to stand there getting in the way of anyone trying the get on or off the bus.

4 Likes

They do that on the HSR because they don’t have a ticket for a reserved seat and refuse to go to the non reserved cars. Standing is no longer allowed in reserved cars. So they just loiter in the vestibule. Annoying.

Maybe she’s wanting to do some “language exchange”

If only you knew about the world in the next decade Mr @Cola

3 Likes

But they loiter by the non reserved car doors as well. Why?