Most arresting story openings

(I was going to say that the translator should have been arrested, but that’s not true. There are different English versions, though.)

"Als Gregor Samsa eines Morgens aus unruhigen Tr

Yes, Cranky, that’s probably the most arresting of them all.[/quote]
Or perhaps not:

Der Prozess[/quote]

:slight_smile:

“There is a lovely road that runs from Ixopo into the hills.”

I got that one from Joseph K. to the LIFE AND TIMES OF MICHAEL K., by JM Coetzee to CRY THE BELOVED COUNTRY, by Alan Paton, another South African writer.

Who’s that one Prince Charles is friends with? Laurens Van Der Post? Is he South African? A Story Like the Wind and The Seed and the Sower are two of my favourites.

Who’s that one Prince Charles is friends with? Laurens Van Der Post? Is he South African? A Story Like the Wind and The Seed and the Sower are two of my favourites.[/quote]

Born there. (So too was JRR Tolkein, btw.)

Here’s a eulogy to the great man; someone, I, most embarrassingly, have never read.

ariannaonline.com/columns/files/122396.html

[quote=“Alleycat”]
Born there. (So too was JRR Tolkein, btw.)

Here’s a eulogy to the great man; someone, I, most embarrassingly, have never read.

ariannaonline.com/columns/files/122396.html[/quote]

Duuuuuude! Get busy. I hate to use cliche’s but the book is waaaaaaay better than the films. BTW, I’ll not be stopping in tomorrow as I’ve quite a few appointments and an evening engagement. What time are you in on Saturday? lets go PM on this.

Chou

Doh! Just looked at the Link. I was talking about Tolkien! I’ve not read van der post either.

Noone’s mentioned this yet ?

It was a dark and stormy night; the rain fell in torrents–except at occasional intervals, when it was checked by a violent gust of wind which swept up the streets (for it is in London that our scene lies), rattling along the housetops, and fiercely agitating the scanty flame of the lamps that struggled against the darkness. Through one of the obscurest quarters of London, and among haunts little loved by the gentlemen of the police, a man, evidently of the lowest orders, was wending his solitary way. He stopped twice or thrice at different shops and houses of a description correspondent with the appearance of the quartier in which they were situated,–and tended inquiry for some article or another which did not seem easily to be met with. All the answers he received were couched in the negative; and as he turned from each door he muttered to himself, in no very elegant phraseology, his disappointment and discontent.

–Edward George Bulwer-Lytton, Paul Clifford

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]Noone’s mentioned this yet ?

It was a dark and stormy night; the rain fell in torrents–except at occasional intervals, when it was checked by a violent gust of wind which swept up the streets (for it is in London that our scene lies), rattling along the housetops, and fiercely agitating the scanty flame of the lamps that struggled against the darkness. Through one of the obscurest quarters of London, and among haunts little loved by the gentlemen of the police, a man, evidently of the lowest orders, was wending his solitary way. He stopped twice or thrice at different shops and houses of a description correspondent with the appearance of the quartier in which they were situated,–and tended inquiry for some article or another which did not seem easily to be met with. All the answers he received were couched in the negative; and as he turned from each door he muttered to himself, in no very elegant phraseology, his disappointment and discontent.

–Edward George Bulwer-Lytton, Paul Clifford[/quote]

er big fluffy,

[quote=“daasgrrl”][quote=“chodofu”]“It was a dark and stormy night…”
Snopy[/quote]

I believe that was a joke used by Schultz, referencing this classic of bad writing:

“It was a dark and stormy night; the rain fell in torrents–except at occasional intervals, when it was checked by a violent gust of wind which swept up the streets (for it is in London that our scene lies), rattling along the housetops, and fiercely agitating the scanty flame of the lamps that struggled against the darkness.”

–Edward George Bulwer-Lytton, Paul Clifford (1830)

He even has bad fiction contests named after him :slight_smile:[/quote]

Ok ok… :blush: How can you expect me to pay attention to a boring topic about books ? What do I know about reading ?
Besides, They only said that before me to make me look silly, and it worked.

“I am doomed to remember a boy with a wrecked voice - not because of his voice, or because he was the smallest person I ever knew, or even because he was the instrument of my mother’s death, but because he is the reason I believe in God; I am a Christian because of Owen Meany.”

• A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving

“All happy families are alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.”

• Tolstoy, Anna Karenina

"Once upon a time and a very good time it was there was a moocow coming down along the road and this moocow that was coming down along the road met a nicens little boy named baby tuckoo

His father told him that story: his father looked at him through a glass: he had a hairy face."

Jimmy Joyce, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man

“Jack Torrance thought : Officious little prick.”

Stephen King, The Shining

Another one by Iain Banks, who seems to have the knack:

“It was the day my grandmother exploded.” (The Crow Road)

Who’s that one Prince Charles is friends with? Laurens Van Der Post? Is he South African? A Story Like the Wind and The Seed and the Sower are two of my favourites.[/quote]Van Der Post is great: powerful and gripping.