Most dangerous moments

I never rode a fancy bike before. All I have ever rode is those cheap bikes. Ubike is probably the best bike I ever rode.

1 Like

Pro bikes go a lot faster, like 70-80kph. And they have disc brakes.

60kph on a bike is 500rpm on the wheels, I seriously doubt that the bearings that Shimano, Zipp, Fulcrum etc use will have any issues with that at all.

At least you don’t have to deal with this kind of danger in Taiwan…

Taxi driver pulled out onto the road before I could react. He didn’t hit me, but in avoiding the taxi I fell and landed hard on my elbow. Nothing broken, but it hurt for weeks afterward. Still does sometimes.

Going downhill really fast. Same situation. Driver just threw open the door. I stopped so hard I flew over the handlebars. As I was picking myself up off the road the driver noticed what had happened and took off.

Truck driver opened his door into my right hand. That was the most painful one. I was on the ground before I even knew what happened.

I try to be as careful as I can when passing parked cars, but even so you just never know.

I was coming down the mountain from Wufenshan yesterday. As I was entering Shifen (the sky lantern town), there was a tour bus coming from the opposite direction. The driver was going to turn left into a parking lot. He saw me approach and stopped, so I confidently went ahead thinking that he’s yielding. And then he suddenly pulled into my lane to make the turn. I had to brake hard, causing my bike to skid like a fixie trying to stop. I glared at him, just meters from the bus as it turned, and he just had this nonchalant look. Lesson learned: always ride defensively and expect other road users to be simpletons who will make the dumbest moves.

7 Likes