Most discrimination in Taiwan boils down to laws/regulations requiring household registration

Same in the US. It’s tied to your residency (the US equivalent of HHR).

Same in the US. Most of my landlords wouldn’t write me a contract, and I didn’t have utilities bills, so I couldn’t register my new address.

Same in the US, to receive hugely discounted in-state tuition rates for universities.

The only difference is that states don’t require your rental contract to be notarized so it’s a little bit easier to register your new residence than Taiwan, but still difficult.

I dont know what state you’re from but that’s never been a problem for me in Texas. Also landlords in the US, or at least Texas, does everything by the book. That means rental contract is all legal and the DPS or DMV only cares to see that.

I’m able to get in state tuition from ut Austin. But it might help that I went to a high school in Texas.

Good for Texas then.

To my knowledge, most states require two forms of proof of residency.

HHR is a very Chinese thing and there is no equivalent in the US.
If you move, you’re required to update your address within 15 days. We’re supposed to vote where we live.

I hadn’t had any issue getting state id from the California DMV either, just living in my parents house. All I needed was the green card and the social security card. I didn’t need anything else.

Sure there is. Do you think your name, DOB, and address is only printed on your state ID, and doesn’t exist in a state database? That database is the HHR. That determines your state residency (and rights to certain state services).

And info about family relationships is kept in the federal Social Security database.

Yes, unless it’s a temporary move to go to college or something. Same law exists in Taiwan. Landlords can make it difficult for you to obey that law though, both here and in the US.

The only difference is that there doesn’t seem to be a fine for breaking that law in Taiwan.

1 Like

Nobody has any issues getting their HHR registered to their parents’ house in Taiwan either.

I wasn’t asked any other documentation by the DMV other than proving that I was a legal resident.

Because you were living at home with your parents. They know you are their son. Same in Taiwan.

How would they know? They would have to see documents my parents would have to provide. I wasn’t asked any of those. They’re not the NSA.

:point_down::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

You provided your parents’ address, and your SSN which is tied to that of your parents. That’s all they require if you live at home.

Give it a rest. I’ve lived in 9 states in the US. I know the rules there.

Not HHR in the US at all. Very different from collecting info otherwise it’d be simple for me to get here.
I have an aprc and driver’s license here but that is definitely not hhr.

That’s exactly what HHR is: Info about yourself that the government keeps track of, for the purpose of granting you certain benefits.

So, please tell me how they are different.

The main difference is HHR requires citizenship while US state residency doesn’t. I can’t think of very many other differences.

My mistake, I always thought the US could still vote abroad. Maybe I was wrong. For Canada I can vote from anywhere in the world. The government tried to steal that basic righr away from us, but we got it back eventually. Perhaps I was mixing something up.

If the US is so short sighted as to ha e an HR like system, then they are wrong as well. Though I am fairly sure it is not the same thing. But I don’t want to comment on the US too much, nor do I care either. The Taiwan system is seriously flawed.

Interesting point. Foreigners are tracked far more than locals. And yet, it is EASY to change an address on a visa. I have said this many times, but will repeat. It is one of the few things that foreigners have easier than citizens. It’s literally the reason why me, APRC, signs the contracts for residential rentals. It’s just easier in the beginning. Like, light ing fast, doesn’t require a house inspection by the government, no photos, no landlord involvement etc. Just go change the card. Later, my wife changes when elections happen so she can vote. Sometimes can’t, which is why we like to stay within the same voter registration area.

It affects other things as well. Construction projects in land, voting, schooling, grants, assistance etc. Which one may find normal, or not. It can also be quite intrusive. The HR office often comes to I spent. Last time the lady came I told her not to photograph our stuff. She tried to, I just took her phone and deleted her folder, told her not to lie to us and piss off. I have zero patience for such intolerable rudeness and entitlement. Other areas have been fine. One area we were in, we went with the landlord to to sign together (a very nice landlord) and the staff were having a physical fight with a person there, police incoming. Reason? The HR office shared photos and addresses to the public and the person angry was NOT cool with that. Rightfully so.

Aside from that, getting rid of it and using a residency type system, without HR, would help give another level of separation from CCP China without any possibility of the Chinese being glass hearted about the sulituation. It would help set us apart as being distinct

You can vote abroad, but your vote will be counted for the last state where you had legal residency ( “HHR”) which may not be where you actually lived.

Then that’s not like Taiwan at all…

Since when did we start talking about voting from overseas? I didn’t say that part was like Taiwan.

I only said the US also has an HHR system.

Sorry, ya youre right. Voting is a different issue tagged onto HR.

They have a residency system. I wouldn’t compare the Chinese style HR to that, personally. Our HR system is quite different than the residency systems of other countries.

The details of the system are, of course, going to be different from country to country. But the overall principles and purposes are the same.

I rent an apartment in Texas. I register online to vote with an absentee ballot which means my name won’t be on the list at my usual local polling place. It’s about time for me to complete the annual paperwork.