Most liveable city

BBC NEWS | Business | Vancouver is ‘best place to live’

Vancouver pipped Melbourne this year- I think it was reversed last year.
The Economist is British, so that probably gives damp, rainy, cool places the edge.
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4306936.stm

Interesting to note the apparent importance that “risk of terrorism” was given in the survey.

Here’s another spin on the best cities, also from the Economist. (The World in 2006 print edition, sorry, no link, but a Very Good read.)

Best Cities according to the Business Trip Index:

1. Vancouver
  2. Calgary
  3. Toronto
  4. Adelaide
  5. Honolulu
  6. Brisbane
  7. Cleveland
  8. Perth
  9. Melbourne
  10. Montreal

Rounding out the top 30: US 9 cities, Australia 1, Austria 1, Denmark 1, Sweden 1, Switzerland 2, Finland 1, Germany 2, New Zealand 2.

[quote=“Jaboney”]Here’s another spin on the best cities, also from the Economist. (The World in 2006 print edition, sorry, no link, but a Very Good read.)

1. Vancouver
  2. Calgary
  3. Toronto
  4. Adelaide
  5. Honolulu
  6. Brisbane
  7. Cleveland
  8. Perth
  9. Melbourne
  10. Montreal

Rounding out the top 30: US 9 cities, Australia 1, Austria 1, Denmark 1, Sweden 1, Switzerland 2, Finland 1, Germany 2, New Zealand 2.[/quote]
4. Adelaide? It is a pretty boring city IMHO, pretentious artsy fartsy cliques surrounded by soon to be unemployed car assembly workers, some nice wineries and the desert…unreliable water supply and a long way from anywhere else…I get it now: soooo boring even the terrorists leave :wink:

[quote=“Jaboney”]Here’s another spin on the best cities, also from the Economist. (The World in 2006 print edition, sorry, no link, but a Very Good read.)

1. Vancouver
  2. Calgary
  3. Toronto
  4. Adelaide
  5. Honolulu
  6. Brisbane
  7. Cleveland
  8. Perth
  9. Melbourne
  10. Montreal

Rounding out the top 30: US 9 cities, Australia 1, Austria 1, Denmark 1, Sweden 1, Switzerland 2, Finland 1, Germany 2, New Zealand 2.[/quote]

I lived in Brisbane for one year, Adelaide for one year, Calgary for 13 years, and Vancouver for two years. In my opinion, they’re all boring.

Last year The Economist said Ireland was the best country to live in.
But part of the ranking was “stable society” which was simply “low divorce rate”.
Ireland has a low divorce rate because they’re oppressed by the Catholics.
They also have a high child abuse rate.

Incidentally, Vancouver’s weather sucks almost as much as Ireland’s.
Amusingly, Canadians all plan to retire in balmy Vancouver, but once you
cross the border, the nearby part of the US is a wasteland.
US residents dream of retiring in San Diego, Santa Barbara, or Hawaii.

Its almost like these economists know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

BTW nationmaster.com has lots of stats.

Suggest to get “Business Trip Index” ranking from worldsexarchives.com instead.
Wish my employer did more business in Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Rio, Bangkok, Macau, or Havana…

No PanChiao AGAIN?

Ah Xindian by night - the Paris of the East… :astonished:

Vancouver is boring, expensive and depressing.

What’s the point of putting down a city because it’s the most liveable place? To each their own. You don’t have to be nasty about it. I’m sure Vancouver is even more liveable now to be rid of the likes of people who keep dissing it.

Every place has its pluses and minuses. Vancouver is quiet, has beautiful scenery, a hockey team, friendly people, Granville Island beer, and REALLY GOOD GANJA! Among other things.

Where I’m from is most likely more boring. The people are clicky. University, government/capital town. It’s in the Maritimes on the other side of the country. Population: less than 50,000. Many people would consider it one of the best cities to live in Canada, but many people, including the inhabitants, like to trash it. Out of towners going to university there have a really low opinion of the townies. Too stuck up. The water is good. I think Calgary has really good water too.

The scenery outside Vancouver is nice. The city itself, though, is underwhelmingly blah when it comes to architecture. This is the defining vernacular, called a “Vancouver Special.”

Blech…hideous. Some of the urban initiatives in the downtown are interesting, with lots of highrise condo buildings, but the way they’re spaced out looks kinda dumb, and the new ones are done up with aqua green windows, and already look dated. If it weren’t for the Chinese amenities, Vancouver would be a sorry town, indeed. Not a lot happening. You need to go to Seattle for the big city stuff.

But the rain is the worst, which lasts most of the year, except for summer, when it doesn’t ever get hot–25 degrees is the highest it’ll get for a day or two in August. Most liveable city? Hmm…nah.

It’s been labelled the most livable, not the most exciting city. Some highlights:

There is no where else in North America where the city is safer, cleaner, and has more green space than the suburbs.

Vancouver has a massive park on the edge of it (you can walk to it in a few minutes) with a 15km path along the ocean. Stanley Park has something like 50km of trails for hiking and biking. On any day you can go from being in a glass and steel modern urban setting to a park where squirrels and geese frolick about you without fear. Hell, in summer you can pick blackberries and huckleberries. How many places in the world can you live in the city and still have so many countryside opportunties?

There is a beach, a swimmable fucking beach right in the city.

The downtown area has fresh air. It has traffic control and few cars about.

There are free tennis courts with stunning views.

Granville Island is a quaint ferry ride across False Creek. It’s a gem and was recently voted the best urban neighborhood in North America.

Salmon is affordable.

Your choice of restaurants is excellent.

Access to sporting, or arts and crafts opportunities is excellent.

Come on, folks. It may not be the best place when you are young and looking for excitement, I agree. But the years from 15-30 only comprise 20% of your life. The other 80% you appreciate, even seek a place that has a great combination of greenery, urbanity, safety and ammenities.

A few other points:

No extremes of weather. No killer typhoons, floods, snow storms, etc.

No annoying or deadly animals or insects (bears don’t wander into the city).

Nature is extremely benevolent, which is both a blessing and a curse but most locals only know it as a blessing.

Yes, it rains a lot, so carry an umbrella or wear gortex like everyone else.

SAD is a serious problem however, and you are seriously advised to get a sun lamp if you live there.

Hsinchu - you live in a city, and yet it feels like countryside.

I’m surprised it didn’t make it to the list.

Hsinchu - you live in a city, and yet it feels like countryside.

I’m surprised it didn’t make it to the list.[/quote]

he he

Is there any city in the world with, like, 30 degrees Celsius from February to November, and -2 degrees with white, fluffy snow in December and January?
I would like to live there.

I don’t understand all this stuff about liveable cities and stuff. Just because a popular magazine says somewhere is the best city to live, then is it really the best place to be?

I’ve always found that the best place to be is where your heart is. Besides, I would never find living in a city fun. Ever.
Any city.

Cities are for yuppies and senseless business people who read The Economist.

Bollocks. Cities (good ones, that is) have Korean restaurants and foreign films and interesting musicians and good beer (speaking of North America) and a much higher chance of meeting people with likeminded interests and sensibilities.

Country life is dull, dull, dull.

P.S. Vancouver and area is due for a massive earthquake, either next Tuesday or in 2010, or at any time in between.

My top four cities

1. New York
  2. London
  3. Paris
  4. Xindian
  • research included drinking three tasty Taiwan Drafts :smiley: