MOTC to tighten electric bicycle rules!

dfb4eac2b6278a3db6e20e3dbf644f98751b45148c310059dad85843131fe95f

1 Like

What crash, i dont see a crash in your post.

That was the whole point of my post, they can get a licence. They just need to get permission, that is because the boss becomes liable if they do a runner.

Honestly, that part is racist (and I don’t use that word lightly). I understand that runners do happen. But… you need to think of a much less discriminatory way to manage this.

I do however believe that all eBikes will be registered and the government should create a simple written examination on the road rules and ensure they know the basics of red light/green light

1 Like

It’s not racist, it applies to anyone on that type of visa and its part of the agreement they made when they accepted the visa.
This has nothing to do with race and not limited to Taiwan, lots of counties have different limits for different visas depending on what category you apply for.

i agree and also a once a year safety test for the bike.

and what ethnicities are the 99.9% of people who get that type of visa…?

3 Likes

And @Shaun008 provide another “developed” country with the same discriminatory law…

Also @Shaun008, while you’re at it… Explain to me the logic in university students being allowed but migrant workers not!

2 Likes

One question, are e-bikes allowed to go on cycling paths? Some of them (that have nearly run me over) are as big as a scooter and can go quite fast. Plus, they are silent, so it’s difficult to hear them coming close to you.

3 Likes

The visa is open to anyone who fits the criteria, there are other visas available.

Just because people from a certain group choose to come here with this visa doesn’t make it racist. The same rules apply to anybody with that visa.

Discriminatory is a better word

What about all the people who came here before the rule change?

I have personal experience of people on work visas in the U.K., both temporary worker visa, and skilled worker ( it used to be a tier system but can’t remember the categories now), both of these had different restrictions applied. It’s not discrimination it’s just the category you applied for.

Different visa with different restrictions and incentives

That can be said about any law, part of getting a visa to live and work in any country is that you will abide by the laws of the land even if that change.

Doesn’t mean that the law can’t be discriminatory, though.

Maybe they should start to treat buxiban workers the same, that’d be fun!

2 Likes

So are there any “restrictions” that can compare to this racist policy?

But explain the logic of restricting a 3 year skilled migrant contract worker (can be extended) earning 37,000 per month -required a degree to get the job and then allowing a student earning little income if any purchasing a scooter.

It’s racist and has no legitimate reason other than the want to discriminate.

If they are following the law

I think is can be and in some cases it is, but I just don’t think it is in this case. If I sponsored someone and can become liable for their actions, I would like a few laws in place to protect me.

It’s not racism no matter how many time you say it.

I don’t need to, it’s the visa that applied for, you are also missing the difference between a self funded student and a sponsored student visas. Again different restrictions apply. These restrictions apply no matter the race of the visa holder.

so if you have an electic bike, ie with pedals does it fall under the new laws, if so, do they need to test stuff like brakes and working lights etc… and where ? at what cost?

is there a link to concise rules and procedure?

Just as a tangentially related data point, the Taiwan Fintech Sandbox allows participating companies to service specifically “VIP” (Vietnam, Indonesia, Phillipines) workers and noone else. Every remittance they make has to be checked against the government “escaped worker” website, and blocked if they have “escaped”.

I’m not sure those visas are as race-blind as one might hope.

5 Likes