Mother's Day in Taiwan

What will you do for Mother’s day in Taiwan? My mother is in my home country under limited movement so no meal outside for her (only takeaways there) and limited floral services so for me just a phone call this year. I know people here have mother in-laws or in my case my roommate’s mom who this year will have home meal as the hotel we go sometimes has limited seating even here in Taiwan (but I saw some restaurants packed tonight so not all have limited seating). Just was curious what others will do and if different from past years.

I called my mom today. She’s still hiding at home in the states, so that’s about all I can do. But she was happy with that. I just wish I could do more to distract her because this will be her first mother’s day without her mother.

I got three carnations today, two I’ll distribute to my aunt and cousin tomorrow and one I’ve kept to put by the little altar I set up for my grandma.

1 Like

I also visited the flower shop which seemed to be very busy ! (I got live flowering plants instead).

I was the only customer at my local flower shop this morning. But it’s a small place, and they hadn’t technically started selling their single-wrapped mother’s day carnations yet. I just wanted to go early to choose some extra fluffy and pretty ones.

4 Likes

Nice!

1 Like

So a real life tear on Sunday?

The Mother’s Day Peanuts comics are always kind of devastating because Charles Schulz got drafted to fight during WWII around the time his ma was dying of cancer and he never got to see her again after that.

I’m just bummed because my mom is currently far away from me and I have no idea when I can visit her again considering the pandemic.

1 Like

2 Likes

https://www.echineselearning.com/blog/learn-how-to-address-your-mother-in-chinese
Maybe this article can give you some answers.

I couldn’t be sorrier for your heartache. Pretty miserable way to spend Mother’s Day.

If it’s any consolation at all, try to concentrate on what a great Day she had as a result of being half the planet away from you. :+1: :bouquet:

3 Likes

Hope everyone had a good one today. I had a long distance phone call from mine, locally with friends and their mom. Busy day outside.

1 Like

I called my mother, but she never answered, so I left her a message.

I called my mother, she answered, so I spoke to her.

2 Likes

Good, ha !

Classic three act structure, with a dramatic twist at the end.

1 Like