Motor Vehicle office Taichung

1. Can somebody please tell me the DMV office location in Taichung? I want to register a car but am unsure if the office is somehwere close to Beitun Road or up past Donghai Univeristy.

2. Any tips for passing the car licence test? Do I need a licence to register a car in Taiwan?

Cheers for any help :wink:

Iā€™m afraid I canā€™t give you a 100% answerā€¦ 'cos I 'm not altogether sureā€¦

As far as I understand it, the spot for doing the scooter licences is the one near BeiTun road, for cars you need to go to the DMV proper which is up past Dong Hai university, just turn left at the red lights at the very top of the hill keep going down that small road for about 3km and the DMV is fairly obvious on your leftā€¦

That is where I did my car licence testā€¦ The hardest part about the ā€œwritten testā€ is that they make the big noses use a computer with the multiple choice questions in English, but the questions are played through a set of headphones onlyā€¦ just for laughs they apparently got a different person to record each question, all at different volumes and with differing degrees of English abilityā€¦ some of the questions are just unintelligableā€¦

You can borrow a review book from them there which will enable you to practice the potential questions theyā€™ll give youā€¦ if you check this out for an hour or so and brush up on your Chinglish, youā€™ll be fineā€¦

The yard test is easyā€¦ just donā€™t hit the lines more than onceā€¦ stop at the flashy lights and train crossing and youā€™re doneā€¦ toughest part is probably the driving through the tight circle bitā€¦ you can choose if you want to use an auto or manual car to do the testā€¦ :loco: oh, and youā€™ll need to do a simple medical / eye check before handā€¦

if cars are the same as bikes, and Iā€™m sure they areā€¦ you do not need to produce a licence to register a vehicle, just the paperwork and the cashā€¦

Excellent post plasmatron, but donā€™t worry, this is Taiwan, so do what the fuck you like. Do you really think anyone will give a shit? This is Taichung, you can get away with murder!

Thanks for the info Plasmatron :wink:

The place is near - Chunder Rd & Ching Wha Bay Road. Thereā€™s a McDonalds on this intersection - what a suprise. Suggest to get there and then flag a taxi & follow him.

If your on Wen-Shin Raod & Da-ya Road then your near it too.

Good luck.

[quote=ā€œPaulā€]The place is near - Chunder Rd & Ching Wha Bay Road. Thereā€™s a McDonalds on this intersection - what a suprise. Suggest to get there and then flag a taxi & follow him.

If your on Wen-Shin Raod & Da-ya Road then your near it too.[/quote]You mean Chongde and Jinhuabei.
In this thread;
[Taichung Drivers License Bureau

[quote=ā€œjoesaxā€]Go east along Chinhua (Jinhua) North Rd. Cross Chungde (Chengde) Rd. Later thereā€™s a traditional market on your right. The intersection with Beitvn Rd. is just after this. Turn right onto Beitvn. Very shortly, youā€™ll see the DMV on your right. Thereā€™s a car park at the front, then some buildings. Thereā€™s a sign at the front, but not in English. It all looks quite official.

If you go too far, youā€™ll get to a pedestrian overpass.[/quote]But as Plasmatron said, you canā€™t do your car driving test there. In that thread there are also more directions to the place where you can do your car driving test, up on Dadushan.

Got the place wrong - that place is for bikes & scooters.

Joesax Iā€™ll spell it how I feel - understand

cheers

[quote=ā€œPaulā€]Got the place wrong - that place is for bikes & scooters.[/quote]Yes but they might be able to help the O.P. with the car registration at least.