Motorbikes and ALCOHOL

Some interesting stuff here. If I told you some of the things I’ve done on a bike while drunk…well, one you wouldn’t believe me…and two…you’d flame the hell out of me. So I’ll just provide you with a quote and a link instead.

Full experiment where they gave riders booze and tested them: motorcyclecruiser.com/streetsurvival/drunk/

Thanks for posting that Mordeth. Good cautionary information.

I’m a little wary of opening up this whole can of discussionary worms again but I couldn’t help noticing – and posting – this snippet from the article you linked to:

Never drink & ride a motorscooter…no matter how careful you try to be, you will spill your drink.

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

Motorbikes + booze = definite disaster

I thought one of the most interesting things was where they said that you can often be more impaired to drive AFTER you are legally sober. Due to your body being terribly run down. So having a few drinks and then waiting a few hours to sober up is often worse than driving just after taking a couple of drinks.

A final note from the article for those too lazy to read it all…

Strangest thing of all to me is that they felt they needed to do a test to find out that booze and bikes is bad. :loco: Talk about desperation to fill column inches!

Maybe, but all of their lap times improved after a drink or two. That’s something worth studying.

When I first got my license, I took a defensive driving course. The centre I took the course at had recently done a similar test, in cars. They found that reaction times were improved after the first drink or two. They attributed this to being more relaxed.

That said, do you really want to be the guy who says, “I have a drink or two before riding, it helps me relax”?

No thanks.

kamiwaza

It will be also different in “real life”. There you won’t feel preasure to be tested. You usually will be relaxed without a drink. Just if you have to go to an insitute and even if the test has no consequences for you most people will still feel a kind of presure and will get a bit “unreleaxed”.

in some ways it’s maybe similar to what happens during endurance racing… During 24 hour motorycle races like the annual Bol d’Or in France… there what usually happens is that after dark most rider’s lap times drop noticably… the reason is because the brain is wasting less available effort and “processing power” on peripheral vision and other extraneous sensory input information that isn’t critical to piloting the race bike around the track… therefore the brain is able to devote that much more attention and processing power on getting that bike around quickly…

mostly though I’m sure that after a few drinks you’re less concerned with “what if’s”, you don’t notice that smudge on the track that your brain ordinarily takes a milisecond or two to process and disregard, your body is more relaxed physically which is always good for smoother control inputs, but alarmingly you’re also likely to be a bit more gung-ho with corner entry, braking points etc. which is I’m sure is the biggest reason for the decreased lap times, since the biggest difference between quick racers and experienced but average riders is that even experienced people don’t realize that their machines are capable of a lot more than they think corner speed and lean angle wise…

still don’t think it’d be a great or productive idea have a few drinks to speed up your riding/driving though… :loco:

Never drink and drive! That’s common sense.

Never smoke cigarettes!..ever. That’s common sense, too. But you’ll still see lots of people doing it :wink: .

Come on, that’s comparing apples with oranges. When I smoke I mainly put my own health at risk but when I drink and drive I not only put myself at risk but pedestrians and other drivers/riders as well. :fume:

Never smoke cigarettes!..ever. That’s common sense, too. But you’ll still see lots of people doing it :wink: .[/quote]

Why???..we are talking about drinking and driving…no need for witty comment bro!

Never smoke cigarettes!..ever. That’s common sense, too. But you’ll still see lots of people doing it :wink: .[/quote]

Why???..we are talking about drinking and driving…no need for witty comment bro![/quote]

The point is…lots of things are common sense not to do…but people still do them. That’s all. Wasn’t a witty comment…just saying that just because something is “common sense” doesn’t mean that it doesn’t need to be said.

Should the name of the thread not be “motorbike OR alcohol” :wink:

On the topic of drugs (alcohol is a drug) and risks to one’s self check out this link:

dancesafe.org/documents/druginfo/risk.php (scroll down to chart)

You’ll notice how tobacco tops the list in “stupidity”…err…I mean “risk” . Followed by alcohol and heroin in the next lowest risk factor.

My personal drug of choice when I was young (over 10 years ago) was cocaine. You’ll notice that it’s risk level is rated about the same as birth control pills for women.

I’d like to restate (before I get flamed) that I don’t do anything now…no drugs…etc.

Hm, so I always thought, people who take cocaine should definatly not drive anything and motorbikes especially not. So if I go after your list I have to consider that that would be the same to women taking the birth control pills. This would make me on one side kind of sexual rasist but would explain on the other side why a lot of women drive like they do. :smiley:

PS: Of course this posting is not meant serious :smiley:

that’s an interesting chart…

that means we have a 1 in 1000 chance of dying from living in Taiwan (pollution) :noway: … maybe it’s time I took up some safer hobbies like motorsports or off shore oil work… damn this island… :help:

[quote=“plasmatron”]that’s an interesting chart…

that means we have a 1 in 1000 chance of dying from living in Taiwan (pollution) :noway: … maybe it’s time I took up some safer hobbies like motorsports or off shore oil work… damn this island… :help:[/quote]

I buy it. Most breathing disorders are directly related to pollution. And many people die from them every year. The foreigner I moved to Taiwan with 8 years ago developed such a bad breathing disorder from just living here that he was physically incapable of doing anything physical for more than 10 minutes without having an attack…this included walking :astonished: .