Motorcycle Helmets (Arai, Shoei)

[quote=“914”]I also have a question about helmets. It’s really silly, but a good health question nonetheless.

I see people riding around with the visorless helmets. Whenever I do this (as a passenger), all this dust flies into my eyes and they sting. How do those people ride around like that? I kind of figured after a while they become accustomed to it and it doesn’t bother them? Like opening your eyes under water? Sometimes I just wear my glasses to keep dust away but they still find a way into my eyes.

Do any of you ride without visors?[/quote]Good point, 914. A surprisingly large proportion of motorbike accidents involve some irritation to the eyes. I occasionally ride with my visor flipped up, though, in the full knowledge that it’s extremely silly and I’m inviting trouble.[quote=“Mordeth”]I always wear eye protection of some kind. Even at night if I’m wearing a half-helmet and I have my contacts in…I’ll still put on a pair of clear or yellow tinted wrap around sports glasses.[/quote]That’s what I should do.

You’re starting to annoy me kamiwaza, 2 or 3 people have asked you where you live so we can tell you where to go for a helmet. And in your responding post you ask again where to buy one and still don’t mention where you live. :s

Sorry, Mordeth, the place is Taipei. Any stores from Xindian to Niehu would be good.

Cheers

kamiwaza

To big biking equipment shops in Taipei area.

1. (Huang Shin) Corner of Heping Road and Ninpo Street.
  2. (Go-Chen) On Chen Gong Road in Neihu (same road as the Neihu Flower Market).

[quote=“chichow”]Regarding : FWIW, the club is on Fu Hsing between Heping and Xinhai.

east or west side of the street? easily spotted?[/quote]

It is on the east side. It’s roughly opposite the place that fixes Volkswagons. It’s called SMJ. It’s not a long bit of street and the bikes will be visible inside if it’s open. If it’s a Saturday you will hear it before you see it.

I ended up buying my helmet (Zeus) from

Hung Juan Co. HK Helmet

The are at No. 96 Sec 2 Keelung Rd Taipei. (02) 87806907

Large selection of helmets and jackets etc. Pretty dang big store.

corner of Keelung and Guan Fu near SYS.

There is also a smaller store that has some helmets and a couple different brand of jackets.

Its call Hashiriya motors taiwan
The are at no 136, dec 3, civic blvd, da-an district, taipei city

They are near the cell phone stores near the electronics store underneath the bridge close to the zhongxiao xinsheng mrt stop

edited to add another store.

I hate using a visor. Every time I flip it down I get a sense of detachment from what’s going on around me, as if I’m in a bubble. That scares the hell out of me, so I put it back up again. The wind and dust in my face remind me that I’m about half a second from death at any given moment :slight_smile:

Typhoons are an exception, of course …

I wear huge Ray Bans and keep the visor up. In the summer. I like the way the visor on my GBP400 helmet fogs up really easily and a replacement is really expensive. Like 60 quid or something. Shouldn’t there be an antifog preparation with a really expensive helmet ? Rip off, Arai.

I wear the expensive googles too with the visor up but sometimes get caught blind by tunnels on real bright sunny days.
I use an old recon ranger trick and keep one eye shut if I know I’m coming up to a tunnel then open it when I’m in the tunnel.

[quote=“Bubba 2 Guns”]
I use an old recon ranger trick and keep one eye shut if I know I’m coming up to a tunnel then open it when I’m in the tunnel.[/quote]

neat.

[quote=“Brendon”]I hate using a visor. Every time I flip it down I get a sense of detachment from what’s going on around me, as if I’m in a bubble. That scares the hell out of me, so I put it back up again. The wind and dust in my face remind me that I’m about half a second from death at any given moment :)[/quote]A surprisingly large proportion of motorcycle accidents are caused by irritation or obstruction to the eyes. I also don’t like having the visor flipped down and sometimes don’t bother, but I know I’m being pretty stupid. Somewhere I have a pair of sporty sunglasses with clear lenses I can clip in. I’m going to find those and try wearing them inside my helmet to see how it feels.

I agree, most ventilation systems are not really made for low speeds or Taiwan’s heat and humidity. I have modified my helmets’ ventilation, enlarging the duct from the chin vent on one Arai, for example, which was formerly three small 1/4" holes (quite a bottleneck!) leading from a generous intake through the foam core and the same size holes in the vinyl inner liner; I simply cut the foam in a slot shape to match the intake size, so I get a bit more air at low to medium speeds.

On one KBC Wolf I added an electric fan, to suck more air in through the generous 6-slot cheek intakes, which are routed in an inefficient manner back forward to the chin. I did the same with a KBC Racer Retro, cutting external intakes for the fan, then reinforcing them with detailed composite work (kevlar, carbon fiber, fiberglass and epoxy) so as not to compromise the structural integrity. Stronger than the original by far, actually.

I’d say that of my un-modified hats, my Roof Boxer is the airiest, since it has a lot of chin room and doesn’t have the cheek padding of, say, Arai’s. The goggle-like visor on the Boxer and Bumper (two Roof’s) is just the coolest thing since War of the Worlds. (I’ll add some pics here tonight)

Yes; I imported all of my 15 or so lids because I’ve got a big forehead. Some are for sale, BTW, at cost, and you would have the luxury of getting a Western shaped shell, while being able to try it on rather than mail-ordering blindly. See forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … ale#207274.

The Wolf XL and Arai Renegade are now taken, though. I’ll update that thread shortly with better pics and stuff now that I have a digicam.

On visors, I like to leave the visor down say, 2/3, which is enough to protect my eyes while letting a lot of air in. Of course, you need a helmet with a continuous visor positioning system (tension-based, like cheap local helms or Roof’s), or ratcheted with the right positions.

If you ride without a visor and it rains, it really sucks!

One of the nice things about Arai’s is that the cheekpad sections are very easily modified to facilitate wearing eyeglasses; you just pop the section out, pull off the cover, which is held on by elastic like a fitted bedsheet; then trim away a bit of the open-cell foam, replace the cover and reinsert. Voila! Much better than some models where the cloth cover is sewn to the plastic base, and you have to laboriously restitch the thing.

I just got my first new “real” helmet for the last 5 years. I had a Shoei before…and while it was a good helmet…it never really fit me right since it’s made for an Asian head.

So this time I went with a SHARK . They are made…in umm…Europe somewhere. So it fits me perfect. Doesn’t feel tight…but I can barely put my glasses on once it’s on my head. Nice and snug. I got the RSF Race which runs about 13,000nt. Oddly enough the only picture on the net that looks like it is of the RSR2 which would run you 18,000nt, but they look the same other than the vents being bigger on the RSR2.

The graphics are a bit over the top for my taste…but the colors match my bike…and it was the only thing that fit well. I’m happy.

And like I said. If you are caucasian…a Shark might fit you best. You could order in an American Shoei or Arai. But why not just buy a Shark since they are already in the country…less hassel.

where’d you pick that up mordeth?

other large melon heads wanna know …

[quote=“xtrain_01”]where’d you pick that up mordeth?

other large melon heads wanna know …[/quote]

It’s at a place called “Autobike” in Chung-Li. They really like foreigners there and usually give us deals…etc. It’s also the only place I take my bikes for repairs nowadays. I even trust them enough to work on my CBR.

Autobike is on the outskirts of Chung-Li, on the Taoyuan side. So if heading in from Taoyuan on the #1, keep an eye out for a big intersection with a BMW dealership on your right. The street is called Huan-Bei road. It’s walking distance down the road so just ride until you get past the BMW dealership. Their phone number is 433-3232. The boss is nice enough…but ask for Ah-Hwa (like flower) if you need any help.
You can pick out which helmet you want from here: kneedraggers.com/pages/html/ … lmets.html and they can order it in within a couple of days. Gives you an idea of price too. The ones that sell for 600 or more go for around 18,000 here. And the ones that are 400 are about 13,000.

Yep, my head is HUGE. The helmet is an EXTRA LARGE. But they have all sizes. Caucasian heads tend to be long and narrow, while Asian heads tend to be wide and short. The only way I got my Shoei to “fit” was to order in aftermarket cheek pads that were about three sizes larger than normal…and then I stuffed in socks on both sides underneath the padding. :help:

My sock stuffing days are over! Well…except for when I’m at the bar trying to impress the lay-dees :blush: .

Thailand, I believe, but with French design and top-notch quality. Superb hat :thumbsup: :sunglasses: , with some very unique features, and almost no negatives, except for price, plus the fact that they run round, which rules me out. I’d like to see it, if you happen by an HH sometime…

Here’s a review BTW:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/shark-helmet/

What is the latest, what places are there in Taipei where one can get proper gear ?

Bit random maybe but there’s a small shop that looks like it sells pro riding outfits and other stuff at 10 Wenlin North Rd. I’ll take a closer look when I pass by it again

They had a couple of Shark brand helmets and a high-end Arai one. I don’t know if any of that is proper or not. More in the way of riding outfits