Motorcycle, scooter & car parts & repair -- Chinese vocab

[quote=“In another thread, Miranda”]I occaisionally get my carbs balanced but I have to admit I just say “ba hua1 you2 qi4 tiao2 zheng3 yi xia” (NT$800). But if you only have one carb… possibly get it cleaned “ba huayouqi xi3 yi xi3” (NT$800), clean the tank “ba you2 gang1 xi2 hao3” (NT$800) and get a new spark plug “huan4 huo3xin1cai4”.

(Hmm. Why do all these things cost NT$800? Anyway. He siphoned out about 2 litres of water from my tank after the last typhoon. Like those filler cap drain plugs, Yamaha. Way to go.)

On the other hand, “bao yang” is what I use with my mechanic and it works fine. Just depends what you want done. I find “tiao2 zheng3” and pointing a good combination.[/quote]

My SO is adorably useless when it comes to helping me communicate with mechanics here and my bike is a lemon. Maybe this should be in the vehicular section but I’ll let the mods decide that. Anyway, I can’t be the only one with this problem. Maybe it’ll catch on. Any other vocab related to these parts would also be appreciated.

First up:
spark plug
starter

Thanks. I know I should probably just sell the thing and start over with a reliable bike, but then I wouldn’t be motivated to learn. :laughing:

spark plug – huo3xing1sai1 火星塞
starter – qi3dong4qi4 啟動器

Yes. That seems to have worked like a charm. :notworthy:

how do you say: “i want a tune-up” ?

[color=green]Merged from Learning Chinese –
DB, LC co-moderator[/color]

I just want to say thanks to all those who added to this thread esp butcher boy for posting the questions i’ve always wanted to ask. :bravo:

How about:

“Please grease/lubricate this. It makes squeaking noises?”

Thanks.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]How about:

“Please grease/lubricate this. It makes squeaking noises?”

Thanks.[/quote]

Take it to D&R, TC ol’ boy… :laughing:

車引擎需要調節
che1 yin3qing2 xu1yao4 tiao2jie2
vehicle engine needs a tune-up

Great thread. I also have a few questions:

Oil filter (I presume you + the filter word that DB added)

petroleum-based oil v. blend v. synthetic.

oil pan

wrench, nut, bolt, washer

bike stand

brake pads

fuse box

coolant

brake light

exhaust

windscreen

fender eliminator

Maybe someone can put this back into the master list.

:slight_smile:

We’ve already got brake pads; I’ll answer a couple shortly, and copy the answers into my first post in the thread heretoo, so as to have a consolidated list.

Done. I’ve posted updates to my list [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/motorcycle-scooter-car-parts-repair-chinese-vocab/2642/13 Please have a look and correct me if you see anything amiss!

Updated again; btw, wtf is a fender eliminator, and why would you want to eliminate your fender? :laughing:

Updated again. See page 1.

kickstand (side) – ?
腳架
side:
側腳架

Thanks for all these…I just needed to buy a brake master cylinder and front and rear sprockets. I had to point for these. I am always restoring or fixing motorcycles, how do you say these in Chinese, these would be good to add to your list. Thanks again for you list, it’s great.

brake master cylinder
sprocket
stator (can you say this 發電機 fa1dian4ji1?)
gasket (I think it is dian pian 墊片 ), correct me if I’m wrong. You have Washer as 墊片, but I find most places actually say “wa shi” which sounds just like Japanese English for washer.
fender
ferrings
coil
2 stroke oil

This is a great list. It would probably be helpful to include some of the Taiwanese via Japanese via English terms that are more often used, eg ‘sparuku’ for spark plug.

What I’m trying to find out is what is a ‘badabu’? Anyone? (A metal part with 3 or 4 pins inside).

Brian

Here’s the beginning of what hopes to be a complete list of English to Chinese component terms in relation to cars mostly. You may find some relevant to motorcycles too.
I may one day provide one for listing tools, but this may do for most people.
If I have made any embarrassing mistakes and you notice one, then please mention it in a PM. I’d appreciate that.
I have tried whenever I can to include American spellings and words as well as British. If there are any additions, then again, please let me know. Thank you.
In the meantime I hope it comes in handy to some of you.

Cheers.

Jamie.

Haha! Fantastic! I am sick of using hand motions to point the fault to those mechanics :smiley: Thanks