Motorcycle Show at TWTC (27-29 Oct)

anybody go this weekend?..open to public on 28 Oct…

I might go on Sunday if I have time. Nothing like getting a nice greasy bellyfull of stinging envy on a Sunday. :wink:

A customer of ours from Turkey is coming to check out the show… I’ll be taking him around the show tomorrow morning and then to the SYM factory in Taoyuan later in the afternoon… I may be wrong but I think the show leans fairly heavily towards scooters and components, and the manufacturing/trading thereof, but I suppose there will be at least some big capacity eye candy… With any luck Triumph Taiwan will have a booth… :idunno:

well Plasma, I’ll be there tomorrow morning too…maybe I’ll see you there

What and where is TWTC?

Taipei World Trade Center. Right next door to 101.

Taipei World Trade Center. Right next door to 101.[/quote]

are they still open to puplic today the 29?

so did anyone go? how was it? worth the name?

Pictures?

Yep, made it there on Saturday afternoon… as predicted it was a small and fairly amateur hour affair… mostly component makers, scooter assemblers and superfluous junk vendors… lots of boring cheapo aftermarket parts for scooters with blue neon and anodizing as far as the eye could see… and that as it turns out wasn’t very far at all since it was only one hall, and the whole show could be walked in about 20min if you didn’t have any meetings… In a welcome but unexpected turn up for the books, scantly clad go go girls outnumbered foreign buyers by about 2 to 1 :howyoudoin:

a couple of the “big guns” were there, Ducati had most of their range on display (all the high spec models they obviously are having difficulty selling I noticed :wink: ) Suzuki had it’s ho-hum Taiwan line up on display, but kawasaki were noticeably absent, no doubt due to them being of the Kymco ilk… very interestingly and somewhat bizarrely considering the firm announced it’s bankruptcy for the 8 millionth time earlier this year was Bimota… eye wateringly exquisite Italian bikes but only for people under 170cm tall who have a degree in electrical engineering, an extensive tool collection and a lot of free time…

All in all it was a weird show… It’s the only motorcycle/scooter show all year at the TWTC and yet all the major local manufacturers our Turkish customers and I were visiting before and after the show kept saying “no, we won’t have a booth there.” So it’s the only bike industry show, but half the industry doesn’t go… odd…

I only took one photo… The favourite title contender for the “Most Oddball Motorcycle Of All Time” award…
The Bimota Tesi 2D… Since the Taiwanese are not the types to easily allow themselves to be outdone on the bizarre front, someone must have decided they could up the gratuitous oddness another notch by putting a single yellow tire warmer on it, and leaving it unplugged… :idunno: :loco:

Plas -
Thanks for the review. And the Bimota…a truly atrocious piece of machinery.
Looks like something a drunken farmer would assemble in the dark during an earthquake.

(Apologies to drunken farmers everywhere)

Forget the pics of the bikes. I’ve got exactly the kind of pics from the show that you “guys” have been wanting. Check them out here:
ibike.com.hk/08_fun/06_taiwan_b_show/tb.htm

No surprise since it’s the first industry show and they were struggling to put it up after more than 40 years of development. Local manufacturers like SYM, Kymco never showed their presence in local exhibition alike.

[quote=“schee”][quote=“plasmatron”]All in all it was a weird show… It’s the only motorcycle/scooter show all year at the TWTC and yet all the major local manufacturers our Turkish customers and I were visiting before and after the show kept saying “no, we won’t have a booth there.” So it’s the only bike industry show, but half the industry doesn’t go… odd…[/quote]No surprise since it’s the first industry show and they were struggling to put it up after more than 40 years of development. Local manufacturers like SYM, Kymco never showed their presence in local exhibition alike.[/quote]schee -
I think their absence is quite surprising for exactly that reason - It was the 1st Industry Show!
Thats where the precedents for future shows is established. 40 years and they decide to “sit this one out”? These manufacturers have shown ignorance in ignoring their domestic audience and failing to have a major presence for the internationals who came to the show and will look at the reviews of it in the trade journals and industry gossip.
IMO, a big chance blown.

[quote=“MotorcycleRider”]Forget the pics of the bikes. I’ve got exactly the kind of pics from the show that you “guys” have been wanting. Check them out here:
ibike.com.hk/08_fun/06_taiwan_b_show/tb.htm[/quote]

Did any of you guys that went approach any of the girls and break the ice, chat a little, and ask them for their contact info?

Thanks Motorcyclerider :notworthy:

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Plas -
Thanks for the review. And the Bimota…a truly atrocious piece of machinery.
Looks like something a drunken farmer would assemble in the dark during an earthquake.

(Apologies to drunken farmers everywhere)[/quote]

Is it just me or is it like one of those mind-bending optical illusions? When I look at various small areas up close they look kind of cool (like the car-style indicator-in-mirror) but as you start looking at more and more of them together my brain starts to collapse.